Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

special case of "bootmgr missing press ctrl-alt-del to restart?"

• 03-04-2011 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hey folks,

Apologies if this is in the wrong area but I'm more than a little desparate.

My little brother has finally fecked up my Mam's laptop.

I've checked out the work arounds on line but they all involve a restart microsoft cd. The problem is the cd/dvd drive on the lapt top is also shagged.

I literally cannot get to any kind of interface other than the ""bootmgr missing press ctrl-alt-del to restart" message.

I'd be much obliged if anyone could reliably inform whether to give up on the laptop altogether and sell if for scrap or is there anyway back?

Thanks in advance for advice offered.

Comments

If possible, you can get Windows put onto a USB drive. Its quite easy to do...

Other than that I cant see you doing much more if the CD drive is not working, maybe try an external CD drive?

This may work...
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/lg-external-dvd-rewriter-97253

• Registered Users Posts: 37 reddan

If possible, you can get Windows put onto a USB drive. Its quite easy to do...

Other than that I cant see you doing much more if the CD drive is not working, maybe try an external CD drive?

This may work...
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/lg-external-dvd-rewriter-97253

Thanks a lot for that mate.

I tried that but the laptop doesn't see to be reading the USB at all. Do you know can this message mean there's a problem with the actual hard drive also?

I assume "bootmgr" is the boot manager which is needed to boot, I'm not too sure.

You be able to replace the CD drive (easy enough to do) then try and boot from CD/DVD?

Can you see the hard drive in the BIOS?

I assume "bootmgr" is the boot manager which is needed to boot, I'm not too sure.

You be able to replace the CD drive (easy enough to do) then try and boot from CD/DVD?

Can you see the hard drive in the BIOS?

Unfortunately I havn't been able to get to the bios screen.

I'm going to give it another lash now, i was trying to access it earlier with f keys but no joy.

Cheers for the help bud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Where you at mate? Clondalkin here with limited knowledge.

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Advertisement

Where you at mate? Clondalkin here with limited knowledge.

Hey man,

If you mean the lap top I'm trying to revive I have to say it's seen better days.

Can't get to the bios menu, or any other menu for that matter after the "BOOTMGR is missing" message comes up.

I press after a few seconds of pressing the keys they start audibly beeping when pressed.

Also, the drives seem to be ****ed as it won't read anything from the usb ports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

What make / model number is the laptop.

Where are you based.

Advertisement