Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable DVD player with Divx - 59.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

I was looking at that aswell and thought it looked good. The only thing is I cant see how long the battery life is ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Shush, I want to get one for the car. I don't want em all sold out too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

Got one year ago , its looks the same, plays all main file types fine, battery life shocking , about 60 min when new, less then 20 mins now, still it plugged in in the car, worth it for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Argos have this one, no divx but cheap

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5337510/Trail/searchtext%3EDVD+PLAYER.htm

they also have others. bit dearer

They was a post for a cheap one from Amazon I think that worked out at the same price, lasts for 2 hours with usb etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

chris1970 wrote: »
    Got one year ago , its looks the same, plays all main file types fine, battery life shocking , about 60 min when new, less then 20 mins now, still it plugged in in the car, worth it for the money

Hi Chris, how long is the cable for the lighter socket in the car? Long enough to run neatly enough from the headrests to socket in the ashtray area?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

Ok, I'll ask for all those who are wondering (or am I alone) :).

It's a DVD player, what's Divx? I thought this was an app you installed on a pc to play DVD's instead of Win media player.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

txpjl wrote: »
    It's a DVD player, what's Divx? I thought this was an app you installed on a pc to play DVD's instead of Win media player.

DVD is piece of hardware and software. Hardware to play actual DVD-standard disks and software to play movie saved on them.

DivX is just software you can instal on your PC or whatever to play movies saved in that standard (and few more standards, depends of divx type).

Not all DVD players can support DivX software. Usually you can't add that software if device doesn't support it. So you can't play movies saved in DivX standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Gonna bump this to ask a couple of questions.

We're going on holidays next week, and I'd like to rip the young fella's dvds to USB so we don't have to carry too much around.
    Anyways, onto the questions.
    I read in the manual that it supports up to 8gb USB keys. Can't see in the manual if it's FAT32 or NTFS. Anyone know?
    Second, what DivX settings do people use?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Soarer wrote: »
    Gonna bump this to ask a couple of questions.

We're going on holidays next week, and I'd like to rip the young fella's dvds to USB so we don't have to carry too much around.
    Anyways, onto the questions.
    I read in the manual that it supports up to 8gb USB keys. Can't see in the manual if it's FAT32 or NTFS. Anyone know?

Thanks.
    I think you are over-thinking this soarer. If you have software to rip your dvd's to .avi then just copy and paste the converted files onto a USB flash drive and they will show up in the root menu on the DVD player. I dong know if this player plays mp4's but if they do it's the same. All divx plays avi, only some play mp4. Different file format.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks for the info.

I probably am over thinking it, but that's what Apple does to you! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

zom wrote: »
    DivX is just software you can instal on your PC or whatever to play movies saved in that standard (and few more standards, depends of divx type).

Not all DVD players can support DivX software. Usually you can't add that software if device doesn't support it. So you can't play movies saved in DivX standard.

It might be easier to say that:

Most DVD players you buy in the shops these days support divx - but check the actual player to see if it has "mpeg-4" or "divx" or "xvid" to be sure - normally printed on the actual player.

Divx is a file format and can be burnt as a file onto any blank dvd using your computer.

Then it's simply a case of popping the dvd disc into your player and selecting the divx file you have burnt onto it.

Soarer wrote: »

I would rather use FAT32 or FAT(16) than NTFS. You don't need all NTFS advantages when just save few avi's. And it may happend that device is not actually supporting NTFS.

Talking about divx - I have digital photo frame which can play Divx. Software attached to the device which I installed on my PC to convert movies is updating all the time. Surpricely frame has no problem with plying "updated" Divx (frame software never update).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

FAT32 can't handle files over 4GB's. Maybe thats an issue if you have HD DivX's.

BostonB wrote: »
    FAT32 can't handle files over 4GB's. Maybe thats an issue if you have HD DivX's.

1hour of HD Divx (decent) is about 1GB. There will be not many over 4GB Divxes. And after all it might by not supported by actually device (need to be checked).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Dunno I don't use them. But someone gave me a few the other day all 1080p and they ranged from 4.5, 6, 8, and one 14 GB's. Maybe they were encoded badly. But they looked fine whereas most DivX's I see are worse quality than a PAL, DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Www.videohelp.com is a great site for finding free tools to convert dvd/iso files to divx/xvid. Its a while since I've done a conversion but I used to use a free app called autogk and it was dead simple to use. +1 for FAT32 on usbs storing avi files. I prefer using xvid and DivX players generally support xvid.

Advertisement