Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too early to transplant tomato & courgette plants?

Options
  • 03-04-2011 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I planted some seeds around the end of February and they came up around 3/4 way through March, they're about an inch and a half tall now. I'm planning on laying down some grow bags in the coming days, just wondering when would be the best time to do this? or are the plants still too delicate to be put outdoors?

I'm a total novice at this gardening lark so all advice is welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭karl tyrrell

yes too early if you get a small polytunnel they will fly along i got plastic for 90 euros had plastic pipe made 3 bends nice size 18 foot long the heat is unreal the flowers on my strawberrys are out allready wished i got one years ago:)

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

seeds that have been sown in a modular tray will need to be 'potted on' into larger individual pots at least once and sometimes twice before final planting out, this is to encourage the strong root systems the plant will require.
    potting on can be done when the seedlings have at least two sets of true leaves- that would be two more sets of leaves after the first pair of seed leaves and the seedlings can be planted to a depth of about half the lenght of the stem, as the stem will send out new roots from this level.

personally, i would not be planting out tomatoes at this time of the year- even into a polytunnel/greenhouse, unless i had a heat source to control the temps at all times....so they will stay on the windowsill until they have grown into 6" pots.

Advertisement