Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physiotherapy

Options
  • 03-04-2011 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum or not (Mods feel free to move it)

I have all four Physio courses down on my CAO and i'm just wondering would Physio be expected to go up/down or stay the same points wise?
    & also if I didn't get Physio, what is the best 'back door' course to do?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Points tend to be the same year in year out. They'll go up or down by maybe 5 or 10 points but that'd be it. Sometimes one college will go up and another will go down, it's rare for them to go down.

Science is commonly used as an entry to Physio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

The people I know that did Physio had sports / exercise science degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mayogirlie

I'd agree, points generally do stay in or about the same and if one college goes up 5-10 points another will go down by the same amount.

As a back door option, best would either be sports sciences degree (know RSCI lets a small number into 2nd year after degree) or otherwise health science and physiology course in either it sligo or carlow. These allow you to transfer to the UK and can do a range of health sciences courses in 2 years - know people who are physios, ots and pharmacists now.

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

I hope you like to travel because most of the physios graduating these days need to leave Ireland to find work

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

TCD also take people in by advanced entry to 2nd year Physio. Students have had already done degrees/diplomas from Sligo IT (health science & Physiology), DCU (Athletic Therapy & training), TCD (Science) and one is a Chiropractor.

Did you look at University of Ulster Jordanstown or any of the UK colleges?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Thanks for the responses.
    bubbleking wrote: »
    I hope you like to travel because most of the physios graduating these days need to leave Ireland to find work

Yes i'm prepared to travel to find work.
    Larianne wrote: »
    TCD also take people in by advanced entry to 2nd year Physio. Students have had already done degrees/diplomas from Sligo IT (health science & Physiology), DCU (Athletic Therapy & training), TCD (Science) and one is a Chiropractor.

Did you look at University of Ulster Jordanstown or any of the UK colleges?

Yeah I applied through UCAS and went for two interviews, just waiting to hear back from them.I have all three above down on my CAO as well. So could any one recommend the best 'back door' course to Physio?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Sport & Exercise Science in UL
    Health & Performance Science in UCD
    Athletic Therapy Training in DCU
    Sport Science & Health in DCU

• Registered Users Posts: 18 batmanandrobin

I did the Health Science and Physiology ordinary degree in IT Sligo and then progressed to Physiotherapy in RCSI. I heard however, they are now only accepting applications from students who have a level 8 degree prior to application.

The majority of my class mates had degrees in Sports Science from UL while others had a mix of Biochemistry in TCD and Physiology and Health in Carlow IT while others came in with Business degrees but with strong sporting backgrounds.

Advertisement