Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Outdoor Group

• 03-04-2011 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi everyone, after posting my last thread. Were gonna try and get an outdoor group together that does orienteering, rock climbing, etc. We can include other activities if new members want them to be included. The main aspects of the group is, it will be a social, relaxed type group. Do u want to join? Do u have any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

ya id be interested in joining alright

sounds good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BigUrn

Hi posted on the other thread, would be interested but costs are a factor for me, i am a student. Perhaps arrange a meet up night and take it from there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Theo_Paphitis

We can do most of this on a budget. The more people that join and help organise this the cheaper it will be for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

What would be the costs involved. Would you need insurance? If it started off a low scale thing. The chat thing would be a good idea before anything else.

Don't think we would need insurance. Don't think we need to register this with the CRO as an entity. If we end up registering with the CRO, need insurance, etc, the costs will be considerable. What is your opinion?

• Advertisement

suppose it all depends what your doing
    ya wudn need insurance oh a hike or anything
    and if its somethong your paying to do ie paint balling etc
    they have the insurance
    the only instance where ya might need insurance is
    if someone in the group was lets say an un self defence instructor and wanted to teach self defense for the laugh
    then ya would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,011 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Count me in for this. In relation to costs, I think this is a perfect group for people who are a bit short of cash in these times as most of the activities are based around the enjoyment of the outdoors, which is free.

My personal favourite activity is camping, but I'd be willing to try most things once the summer kicks in.

So really, there would be feck all else other than the fees for whatever we doing, or bus money if we go on a trip etc?

Dusty87 wrote: »
    So really, there would be feck all else other than the fees for whatever we doing, or bus money if we go on a trip etc?

Yeah I think so. Let's do this on a budget. Is everyone else in agreement?

a sure a bit of a laugh isnt it ive met dusty before from here
    sound skin

the kinitty mountains is a nice spot for a hike to

• Advertisement

hey, would be up for this also, studying at present, so may not be into it until the summer but if you have a meet up to organise/discuss i will be there. also it seems from names etc you are all guys, perhaps a few females could be roped in?? I am a lady despite my username - all in good hommage to Bill Murray.

BigUrn wrote: »
    hey, would be up for this also, studying at present, so may not be into it until the summer but if you have a meet up to organise/discuss i will be there. also it seems from names etc you are all guys, perhaps a few females could be roped in?? I am a lady despite my username - all in good hommage to Bill Murray.

Yeah I agree, if you know any other girls that would be up for joining let them know.

I'm gonna write a press release for this, hopefully the tribune, Offaly express and Offaly independent print it!

This is what I have done so far, feedback would be appreciated!

The Great Outdoors.

Do you want to spend some time in the great outdoors this summer? A number of people are hoping to start a group that would orienteer, rock climb, fish, paint ball, etc. Bacisally any fun adventure sport that you can think of. This is going to be a social group and not for profit. Therefore it won't cost you a lot to get involved!! If you are interested in joining or want to find out more please contact ..........

What do ye think?

My girlfriend wil do it too, so you wont be the only one bigurn:) she in collage for the next couple of weeks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

Hey guys, I would be interested in getting involved in something like this. I keep saying the last few years that I was going to take up doing a few outdoor activities. I'm only over in Laois so I would'nt have too much of a trek to get over there.

Yeah I agree, if you know any other girls that would be up for joining let them know.

I'm gonna write a press release for this, hopefully the tribune, Offaly express and Offaly independent print it!

This is what I have done so far, feedback would be appreciated!

The Great Outdoors.

Do you want to spend some time in the great outdoors this summer? A number of people are hoping to start a group that would orienteer, rock climb, fish, paint ball, etc. Bacisally any fun adventure sport that you can think of. This is going to be a social group and not for profit. Therefore it won't cost you a lot to get involved!! If you are interested in joining or want to find out more please contact ..........

What do ye think?

yea that sounds alright. Maybe somethin about not needin to be fit or much experience, as its for fun. Maybe not, i dont know. I know myself and daithi would be experienced with the outdoors so you could say somethin about beginners welcome maybe. But if im diving too much into, say. Its sound grand as it is anyway

Thats great, i do a course in the VEC in Tullamore and also do volunteer work in the St Josephs school, im sure Ben Scally would put up an aul sign if i asked him nicely too, so if you want when you do the poster etc you can mail me with it (pm me for details) and i will put it up in these three places and it might get cover. Im not sure if the board in the bridge centre charges for a poster as well. I can ask though. Theres one in the library as well just in the door. A facebook page perhaps might also be an idea, just friend a few things in Tullamore and you might get more interest. I'd say an email set up for it is the way to go for arrangements less hassle and use of a phone. Just a few ideas there.

dagdha wrote: »
    Hey guys, I would be interested in getting involved in something like this. I keep saying the last few years that I was going to take up doing a few outdoor activities. I'm only over in Laois so I would'nt have too much of a trek to get over there.

Welcome on board

Thats great, i do a course in the VEC in Tullamore and also do volunteer work in the St Josephs school, im sure Ben Scally would put up an aul sign if i asked him nicely too, so if you want when you do the poster etc you can mail me with it (pm me for details) and i will put it up in these three places and it might get cover. Im not sure if the board in the bridge centre charges for a poster as well. I can ask though. Theres one in the library as well just in the door. A facebook page perhaps might also be an idea, just friend a few things in Tullamore and you might get more interest. I'd say an email set up for it is the way to go for arrangements less hassle and use of a phone. Just a few ideas there.

Thanks for the ideas. Will ya be able to give us a hand?

Dusty87 wrote: »
    yea that sounds alright. Maybe somethin about not needin to be fit or much experience, as its for fun. Maybe not, i dont know. I know myself and daithi would be experienced with the outdoors so you could say somethin about beginners welcome maybe. But if im diving too much into, say. Its sound grand as it is anyway

Good point, will include "don't need to be fit, as it's for fun and beginners welcome. Thanks for the PM will take you up on the "offer of help".

I think the board in the bridge centre is free. I know someone who put a sign on it and just walked up and pinned it. No worries:)

• Advertisement

my missus will be up for it to but she wont be around much this summer
    from may to the end of august

and i can stick up a few posters in birr if ye like

So at this stage, we have about 6 or 7 people wanting to join. Do ye all wanna meet up and discuss what were gonna do next? If so, when suits?

i dont mind when we meet
    if im busy il let ya no but once its evening i should be fine
    also where are we meeting wheres most central for people i live five minutes on the tipp side of birr

Im a durrow man but living in cloneygowan at the moment. Get a central place i say.

I live in tullamore, evenings suit me also.

alot on this week, so next sun or mon eve would suit me best.

alot on this week, so next sun or mon eve would suit me best.

Where r u based?

Tullamore town also

Thanks to BigUrn we have an email greatoutdoorstullamore@gmail.com .
    Would Tullamore be a central location? Sunday 8pm suit everyone?

• Advertisement

I'd be up for that, any location ideas in Tullamore?

Advertisement