Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to get an a1 in leaving cert religion?

• 03-04-2011 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

hey, just wondering if anyone that has done or taught leaving cert religion has any tips on how to get an a1 or an a2 in it.

i got a c2 in my mocks and i know i lost 25% because i didn't time myself well and didn't answer one section but that won't happen in june!

i was just wondering how can i get better at it or if anyone has sample a1 answers because in the exam i was only getting 30 out of 40s and there was nothing else in the book i could put in my answer and i had put personal opinions and everything in :/

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ciarashauna

Yeah I'd love to know too OP, it's such a hard exam to get marks in because the book doesn't have anywhere near enough infomation!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The exams are based on the syllabus, not any text book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Do all the exam papers inside out.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

theres only been like 7 papers i think, its such a new course still. im going to type every syllabus q into google and see what i find :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Camilo

Pray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 andydrew

xclw wrote: »
    hey, just wondering if anyone that has done or taught leaving cert religion has any tips on how to get an a1 or an a2 in it.

i got a c2 in my mocks and i know i lost 25% because i didn't time myself well and didn't answer one section but that won't happen in june!

i was just wondering how can i get better at it or if anyone has sample a1 answers because in the exam i was only getting 30 out of 40s and there was nothing else in the book i could put in my answer and i had put personal opinions and everything in :/

thanks!

Is "Religion!" a Leaving Cert SUBJECT ! Next you ll be telling me that "Woodwork" "Mechanical Drawing" "Metalwork" and "Agricultural Science " are still being thought !!!
    Unless your considering a career as the "Husband" of the "Mother" of the next "Son of God" I would suggest you get down to your Carriers adviser ASAP !!!:eek::(:rolleyes:

andydrew wrote: »
    Is "Religion!" a Leaving Cert SUBJECT ! Next you ll be telling me that "Woodwork" "Mechanical Drawing" "Metalwork" and "Agricultural Science " are still being thought !!!
    Unless your considering a career as the "Husband" of the "Mother" of the next "Son of God" I would suggest you get down to your Carriers adviser ASAP !!!:eek::(:rolleyes:

its actually one of the hardest subjects, it prepares you a lot more for the work you do in college than any other subject because you have to constantly read around the course to make your answer stand out and research different topics. you have to make links with all areas of the course and you have to write long essays with no choice on the paper. i do history to and it is way harder than history, and you can get jobs religion teaching from it. besides its a nice language and loads of people find it interesting as its the meaning of life and about different world religions, it makes you think

Yeah I'd love to know too OP, it's such a hard exam to get marks in because the book doesn't have anywhere near enough infomation!

yeah i know! you get an exam question that you have to write 2-3 pages on and theres only like a paragraph on it in the book, my teacher was like just throw any information in you think links or contrasts with it because even if the info is irrelevant they won't take off marks and might give you more if you show off more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Camilo

Deleted- Piste

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭doyler101

Camilo wrote: »
    Is there an oral exam with the school's priest?

............:D

did you mean that to be a hidden joke cos its not really something you should make jokes about. . . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭doyler101

xclw wrote: »

thanks!

its hard to know really, mocks are always marked craply, so crap it nearly defeats the purpose in doing them. just really on the day of the exam think and work hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

[modnote]This thread is not here to belittle religion as an exam subject or otherwise, nor is it place to discuss abuse scandals or whatever, it's about the exam and how to do better in it, if you feel the need to discuss the above, take it to another forum on boards, there are many[/modnote]

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JamesDundalk

I'm taking up Religion this year as a repeat subject, people say you can always cut sections out of it, any ideas which ones could be left out?

i'm repeating this year, but i ended up getting an A1 in religion after, just didn't get what i needed in other subjects. it is a hard subject and you really need to put a lot of work into the project. as for leaving out parts i wouldn't because the exam has no choice in it.

Sec A - Meaning of life, you need to know this section inside out because you need to link the other sections back to this and all, you do get a choice on this but because the section is so important it's very useful for other questions

Sec B, C, D - you do 2 of these sections, so you obviously don't study one, but theres no choice so you need to know everything because if something comes up you haven't studied how are ya gonna be able to write a 2 page essay

then the 3rd part is E, F, G, H
    and you pick one of these sections and learn and then there is a choice within this section that you choose between learning. i'm not too sure about this because i did section i last year which is for coursework this year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Does the religion course cater for Atheists???

the religion course has absolutely nothing to do with one's faith in god, you can be totally non spiritual and still get an A because it is the same as any leaving cert subject, its based on learning.

the sections are
    A - The meaning of life - which is philosophy, the types of people who believe in god and don't

then a choice of:
    B - Christianity - all about the religion - you learn it, but you don't have to believe it, religion teachers understand everyone has their own beliefs
    C - World Religions - again you just learn this
    D - Morality - didn't do this section so not sure..

then this year you do coursework on Section I or J -

and then the final question is on section e, f, g or h

it's like French or any subject, you can study and learn off your french and get an A1 and not be french the same way as you can learn off the facts about christianity to answer the question on the religion paper to get an A1 and not be religious

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LC2013

I'm doing the leaving cert in 2013 and I'm still only on section B but i can't find the list of essay tittles, anyone know where i can get it? thanks.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BritBrit

LC2013 wrote: »
    I'm doing the leaving cert in 2013 and I'm still only on section B but i can't find the list of essay tittles, anyone know where i can get it? thanks.:D

Go to www.ress.ie
    Click on Leaving Certificate (top right of page)
    Click on Resources in English
    Click on the section you want the list of possible essays (outcomes) for
    A page loads up with lots of resources for that section including "A checklist for outcomes of Section A or B or C etc." click that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BritBrit

Does the religion course cater for Atheists???

I'm an atheist an religion is one of my favourite subjects!!
    In fact I'd say religion is more suited to atheists than adherents of a particular religion as you learn about such a vast array of philosophies, religious myths, scientific cosmologies, world religions, primal/ ancient indigenous religions, NRMs, ways of looking at morality, rituals, etc. Thus as an atheist you can look at everything from an objective, anthropological viewpoint that is not distorted in any way by personal beliefs about the divine etc. It gives you the bigger picture
    In your answers you can't talk about personal beliefs anyway e.g. A Christian would lose marks for saying "We believe in that Jesus is God but Muslims believe that he was just a prophet of Allah" because the examiner doesn't know who "we" or "I" is. You have to discuss issues/ theories from an objective viewpoint.
    As an atheist I find the phenomenon of religion fascinating and am intrigued by the philosophies of Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, the Sophists, the Cynics, the Epicureans, the Stoics, the early and late Medieval Christian philosophers, DesCartes, Existentialist philosophers like Sartre and Nietzche...
    You also study non religious world views such as atheism, agnosticism, secular humanism, reductionism and secular value systems (their development over history), secular sources of values etc. You also study scientific cosmologies (Big Bang, Expanding Universe) You learn about the secularisation of society etc.

Anybody got any notes on section B 5.1 Give an example of a contemporary Christian vision regarding the use and sharing of the earth’s resources, I have to do a presentation on it for my class :eek: and I can't find notes on it, the book doesn't have much on it either. Thanks, really appreciate it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 zinny

hey guys im going into sixth year and ive recently just decided to take up religion as an extra subject this summer. I have done my journal work already but i really dont know how to tackle this course !
    I have purchased the search of meaning and values and faith seeking understandinng and i havnt decided if i should get a book on the irish experience or religion and science .
    I also dont know where to start and how much work i should spend in this subject. I am determind to get an A1 in this but right now its just looking a bit wishywashy. I would really appreciate some advice on how i can do this subject as I dont want to waste time and money just to drop the subject come november. I am also doing LCVP as a subject in school but as i got 54% in it on my summer exams i have been forced to look at the importance of it in my overall subject worth i do 7 higher subjects and if i include religion it will be 8 should i really be taking LCVP as a subject!??
    I apologise for the long post and thank you for reading !:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

When you go back in August, talk to a qualified religion teacher on the staff. Even if they are not teaching it to exam, they should know where to get you the information you need on how to approach the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 P_mcgrath

What part of the country are you in?

zinny wrote: »
    hey guys im going into sixth year and ive recently just decided to take up religion as an extra subject this summer. I have done my journal work already but i really dont know how to tackle this course !
    I have purchased the search of meaning and values and faith seeking understandinng and i havnt decided if i should get a book on the irish experience or religion and science .
    I also dont know where to start and how much work i should spend in this subject. I am determind to get an A1 in this but right now its just looking a bit wishywashy. I would really appreciate some advice on how i can do this subject as I dont want to waste time and money just to drop the subject come november. I am also doing LCVP as a subject in school but as i got 54% in it on my summer exams i have been forced to look at the importance of it in my overall subject worth i do 7 higher subjects and if i include religion it will be 8 should i really be taking LCVP as a subject!??
    I apologise for the long post and thank you for reading !:)
    There's no point in saying ah don't worry about it, it's easy, RE is a really hard subject, my teacher never uses the books, he emails us notes, if u Email me on leavingcertre@hotmail.com i'll send you on some of the notes we get.

Hi guys, I'm just going through my notes on section B and I don't have any notes on 3.2 The death and resurrection of Jesus if anyone has notes would you mind Emailing them to me <snip - PM the poster> or if you no any sites with notes please post a link. Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

I am how you get an A1 in LC religion!

Seriously though, I got an A1 in LC 2012 and I am available to give grinds at an affordable rate of €20 ph. I can help with your project, give you extra (essential) notes and provide you with tips on how to boost your grade to an A1. The information in the LC books is simply not enough - Veritas have a monopoly on the market and therefore every student in the country is using the same tired information in their exams. If you want to learn from the best, PM me for further details.

Don't listen to this mad man.
    As a student who sat RE myself in 2012, I can tell you straight away the Vertias books provide plenty of information which is required for examination. If you want to include extra relevant information, a quick search on the web will help.
    Your bible for this examination is http://www.ress.ie/leaving_res_eng_a.html. If you click "Learning Outcome" for each section at the top of the page, you will find every question you need to prepare for in the exam. That is all the SEC expects you to know for Religion. No more, no less. Repeat for each section you are interested in studying, and 90% of the task is complete.
    Also, learn relevant quotations from documents which may need to be discussed. This may include, for example, Josephus' writings which proved that Jesus existed.
    DO NOT BE AFRAID of linking your own opinion, as long as it develops a point. Examiners like to see interest in the subject you are studying. So naturally, in taking up this subject, you should be interested in philosophy and historical documents.
    It is one of the easiest subjects to obtain an A1 in, due to it's predictable nature. Everything is served on a platter to generate interest in it. Make sure to begin your educational venture from the first week of school as there is a considerable amount of information to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Timbo6

Hi guys, need one more subject for the year. Feeling like this would be right up my alley.. Just wondering could I get in done in a year to A standard?

Get the feeling you lot have gone threw it without all too much support. Doubt i'd be able get grinds or anything.. short of paying the PP a visit ;)

Advertisement