Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Economics 'Journal' ? Can someone elaborate on what exactly is required?

• 03-04-2011 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi

I am repeating my LC in 2012, for entry to Medicine,
    I am thinking Home Ec would be a good choice for me as I did well in it at school.

Can some one explain to me what the 'Journal' is which has to be submitted early in 6th year?

Does it have to be a journal describing a garment/textiles, or what exactly is it, as I will be doing my LC in one year, so I will need to start working on the Journal soon.
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I don't think you can start on the journal early. From what I remember the home ec teacher saying in my school there is nothing on textiles in it, it's all cookery. You might be asked to design a suitable meal/menu for a particular type of diet or illness, eg. diabetic.

EDIT: I see your doing the subject in one year. I know most of our Home Ec students do it in fifth year to submit it early in 6th year, so the brief was probably given out this year already if you can get your hands on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 HomeEc

hmmm interesting, thank u for the reply. I wonder if i can still do a Journal if i am only doing the Leaving Cert in one year, as opposed to 2 years....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

HomeEc wrote: »
    hmmm interesting, thank u for the reply. I wonder if i can still do a Journal if i am only doing the Leaving Cert in one year, as opposed to 2 years....

Not a clue. Get on to the school/grind school you are repeating in and ask them what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭KKBL

The assignments are all based on food studies, and the 2012 ones have been out since september so I'm sure you can find them on one of the examination websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Chillaxer

Hi,
    I teach home ec in a secondary school that also has a separate repeat leaving cert programme. Those students repeating complete the journal in the 2 months before the november deadline.

The choice regarding the journal is to undertake a textiles project or a food studies assignment. The teacher decides which option the students do. I do the food studies one. There are 6 assignments but you only do 5. Details of all are on the department of education examinations website.

Each assignment involves preparing a dish and then writing up a 6 page report about what you cooked, why you cooked it and also giving information about the main theme of the assignment e.g. if asked to prepare a dish for a diabetic you would chose to make a dish with little or no sugar and you would also have to write about the dietary guidelines for diabetics in your journal.

There are examples of how to write up these assignments in most leaving cert home ec books. Another book that deals only with writing up the journal is 'Shortcuts to Success - Leaving Cert Home Ec Food Studies Assignments' by Eilis Flood. I find this an excellent book but if you take info from it put it in your own words as examiners are very familiar with the content of this book so you will be penalised if it's copied word for word.

Finally, I don't know where you intend to repeat but you would really need to check with the home ec teacher in the school to see if it is possible for you to do the assignments in sept/oct. Unless the teacher has supervised the practical side of the project (i.e. cooking) they will not sign off your journal for submission to the Department.

Hope the info helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 HomeEc

Chillaxer

Thank you for this information, it's exactly what I needed to know.

Can I ask you, which repeat Leaving Cert school do you teach in?

I haven't decided whether is would be feasible for me to repeat full time yet, so I might repeat part time due to work etc. Do you know if it would it be possible to study Home Ec part time?

Thanks again, you are very informative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Chillaxer

HomeEc,

I sent you a private message so check your inbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Chillaxer wrote: »
    The choice regarding the journal is to undertake a textiles project or a food studies assignment. The teacher decides which option the students do. I do the food studies one.

The choice is not between food studies and textiles - all students must complete the food studies journal- its worth 20% of your overall mark and must be completed under the guidance of a home ec teacher-- as in you have to do the 5 cookery classes in school.

The textiles option is one of the electives- there are three the teacher will pick which one is covered in class they are 1- social studies 2- home design and management - both of which are examined by an 80 mark question on the paper. 3- textiles - is completed during the year by making a garment and completing a folder and a shorter question on the paper.

Advertisement