Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Algebra

• 03-04-2011 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

I've been doing a bit of going over stuff lately and I've been going through the revision questions at the back of Concise maths and I am literally about to set the book on fire. I am basically getting almost all of them wrong. I can more or less manage most of the leaving cert questions or at least a fair bash at the part Cs. Is it better to work from the book or the papers in terms of revising and is there anywhere online with good explanations of the algebra sections, in particular inequalities?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

http://www.mathsireland.com/LCHGeneralNotes/Algebra/14_InEqualProofs/Q_14_InEqualProofs.html

They go through a few of the examples in concise maths there.Website is pretty good!Its best to use a mixture I think.Go from 1994-2010 with the algebra questions then get your hands on a few of the mock exam papers from recent years and do those.The algebra questions at the end of concise maths are very tricky and some are harder then the part C's in the papers.Just keep ploughing through them and you should be able to get most of them out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

I found that while working from the past exam papers gives you an obvious leg up in maths it might get you used to a lower standard than you could be at. Now I'm no superstar at maths myself but I have been getting grinds and my confidence is soaring! The key, I find, to doing well in HL LC Maths is to do past mock papers! Namley DEB. They are fairly difficult but once you work hard and spend a fair bit of time at it, your standard will be so high that the LC will seem like p!ss! Make no mistake about it though, you will spend quite a lot of time doing them, so be prepared!

Best of luck.

RHunce :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

No idea what's on the new maths course, but what're you finding difficult about inequalities? Maybe we can help you out. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Mostly organizing the little signs and knowing what to square or test. I think I must have been out for bits of it when we did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Mostly organizing the little signs and knowing what to square or test. I think I must have been out for bits of it when we did it.
    Hmm...well...you're a bit vague. You need to square whenever you cannot be sure something is greater than 0 (i.e. not negative). For example, if you have (x-5) then you don't know if that's positive or negative, but if you square it, you'll know for sure it's positive.

As for the signs...if you multiply both sides by a minus it swaps. For example, -2 > -3 but 2 < 3. Other than that (unless I'm forgetting something...) they're very similiar to equations.

• Advertisement
Advertisement