Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance from unemployed father

Options
  • 03-04-2011 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi, I am looking for some advice for my sister.
    She has recently separated from her husband of 15 years and has moved out of the house they lived in. She has two children, one is 21 and has left home, the other is 16 and in school. The 16 year old now lives with my sister.
    Her husband is not working having been made redundant recently whereas my sister is working every hour she can to pay her bills. Her ex has about 40K in the bank from his redundancy and I want to know if she is entitled to any of this money through a maintenance payment.
    He is refusing to help at all, he is still living in the family home and has reduced the mortgage payments to “interest only” of about 200pm while my sister is paying nearly 600pm in rent. Someone told her she is not entitled to ask him to sell the house as she left him. I cant believe this is true.
    I understand people cannot give legal advice on this forum but would like to hear some peoples opinions on the matter and help on where she can get the relevant advice.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

She would have to see a solicitor about what she might be entitled to as an ex -spouse of that. Child maintenance would never come out of that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

OP your sister really needs to get proper legal advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If she can't afford a solicitor she can apply for free legal at her local law centre. (Check yellow pages for the location)
    P.S.Irish divorce is no fault, who left who etc. does'nt matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

As mentioned no-fault applies so who left who is irrelevant. As primary carer of a minor she would most likely be granted the house itself and maintenance from him. His employment status would not matter only his ability to pay and with that in the bank...

Only thing she can do at this stage is talk to a solicitor or FLAC and sooner rather than later.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Your sister really needs to see a solicitor, given that there is a house and children involved.

FLAC do not provide legal aid in the case of civil legal matters, that is done by the legal aid board, who means test applicants.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5030/5585936159_3603a8413b.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement