Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salt & Vinegar

Options
  • 03-04-2011 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Right folks, just after enjoying a bag of tesco Salt & Vinegar own brand crisps and they were pretty good. So the question is which is the best Salt & Vinegar crisps? Have not had King ones in ages but they were always fairly tasty, so guy what ones do you suggest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

has to be IMO hunky doreys
    oooh the saltiness

I'm a tayto girl when it comes to S&V, they seem to be more vinegary than others. Do like Hunky Dorys too but I'd go for the Taytos first.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭duckielover

anyone had o'donnels tipperary sea salt and malt vingear hand cookd crisps sooo good!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This thread was done recently.
    Dicsos = winner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Mellor wrote: »
    Dicsos = winner
    +1 on Discos, my favourite S&V crisps :)

Chipsticks are nice and so are O'Donnells.

Any tried O'Donnell Cheese & red onion crisps? Mmmmm! Can't beat the aul C&O Tayto's though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dicsos = winner

Discos are not crisps.
    Crisps = sliced, fried, flavoured potato.

Pringles are also not crisps.
    I do like discos, though, but they're no more crisps than Rancheros or Hula Hoops, both of which are great.

"Crisps" is a catch all term for all imo. Potato crisps/chips, potato snacks, corn snacks, corn chips/torillas etc

Separating them into individual categorys is pedantic and pointless.
    To me, discos are crisps, as are hula-hoops, monster munch and doritos (all the categorys mentioned above)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Kiva.D

Best S & V chips I've had are Poore Brothers. Crispy and very intense Flavor:
    01407611020_450x450_a-200x200.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Tried Tayto & Walkers there, and was not really impressed by either :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

King Salt & Vinegar are very, very good.

• Advertisement

Separating them into individual categorys is pedantic and pointless.

Maybe to you it is pedantic and pointless, to me it is an important distinction.

Possibly you would feel the same way about someone calling salad cream or Miracle Whip 'Mayonnaise'. Personally, I couldn't give a toss but I would respect someone else's assertion that they are very different things.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What would you call Pringles, Hula Hoops etc so? I'd consider crisps to be an umbrella term. I'd call a Crunchie a chocolate bar even though there's only a small bit of chocolate on it. Mayo, salad cream and Miracle Whip would all be sandwich spreads. I get what you're saying, but I don't know how you'd classify Pringles etc as anything else in an easy way.

Faith wrote: »
    What would you call Pringles, Hula Hoops etc so? I'd consider crisps to be an umbrella term. I'd call a Crunchie a chocolate bar even though there's only a small bit of chocolate on it. Mayo, salad cream and Miracle Whip would all be sandwich spreads. I get what you're saying, but I don't know how you'd classify Pringles etc as anything else in an easy way.

They're a potato snack.
    I love crisps, I hate pringles.
    They are not the same thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The vinegar flavouring is usually just citric acid, same as on sour sweets, you can get bags of it in Asian food shops or homebrew suppliers and sprinkle on your own.

I would have thought snacks was the catch-all, even potato snacks rules out some with corn etc. Tescos online has them all under a "crisps header" and then under that they have
    # Crisps & Snacks (50)
    # Better For You Crisps & Snacks (14)
    # Big Bag Crisps (51)
    # Speciality Crisps (2)
    # Single Pack Crisps (16)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

McCoys easy winners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Mini Chips for lip burning goodness

KP%20-%20Mini%20Chips%20-%20Real%20Potato%20Sticks%20-%20Salt%20&%20Vinegar%20Flavour.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Auvers wrote: »
    Mini Chips for lip burning goodness

KP%20-%20Mini%20Chips%20-%20Real%20Potato%20Sticks%20-%20Salt%20&%20Vinegar%20Flavour.JPG
    I used to love those.

Haven't seen them for years!:(

Maybe to you it is pedantic and pointless, to me it is an important distinction.

Possibly you would feel the same way about someone calling salad cream or Miracle Whip 'Mayonnaise'. Personally, I couldn't give a toss but I would respect someone else's assertion that they are very different things.
    But mayonnaise has certain key elements that the others don't have. Crisp isn't as specific.
    They're a potato snack.
    I love crisps, I hate pringles.
    They are not the same thing at all.
    Nobody said they were the same thing?

Tayto = potato crisps (or crisp crisps ;))
    Pringles = potato snacks
    Monster munch = corn snack

There are many more and they all fall under the general heading of crisp for me. If you can think of a better term for them all i'll agree with you.

@ Rubadub,
    I'd rule out snacks as a catch-all as it would include peanuts, pretzels, jerky etc. Packets of "crisps" is the best name to me as it covers them all and nothing else. I honestly can't think of another word.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I miss Salt and Vinegar Walkers MAX. There was no reason to take it off and keep the cheese and onion flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

Mr Magners wrote: »
    McCoys easy winners

Agree totally......the saltiest crisps ever....raw tongue afterwards is a true sign :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement