Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible problem with new Rottie?

• 03-04-2011 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hello

I am looking for some help and advice i bought my new dog Rex,he is a rottweiler i bought him from a guy on the donedeal site. I was told he is bred by one of irelands top breeders and payed 850e for him anyway i was happy with him when i seen him,Anyway brought him to my local vet who told me he has a problem with his mouth.. The word she used is "undershot" i was told this is where the bottom jaw does not meet the top one in the proper way and also that the white on his chest would not go away as the breeder told the guy i bought him from it would.. i have not seen them with white is this another problem?

Does anyone have any experience with these dogs? Or have any of the same problems.. I am worried now that there may be some inbreeding or something and may run more problems???

Here is a couple of pics of him for you to see
    Any help welcome
    Paul.

pwardrex2.jpg

pwardrex3.jpg

pwardrex.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Youve been scammed. Buying a dog off donedeal is asking for trouble, its puppy farm heaven. If you want a particular breed then you should have contacted the IKC and gotten the contact details for registered, reputable breeders. To pay 850 euro for a dog off donedeal is madness, they saw you coming.

The vet has already pointed out a couple of issues to you, dont be surprised if there are more. Its quite possible the dog is not purebred at all. You were told the dog was bred by one of Irelands top beeders? Did you get the breeders name? Did you do any research on the breeders credentials? Did you contact the breeder yourself to discuss the dogs lineage? Did you get any paperwork on the dog? Im guessing not given the pics you have posted and the story you have told.

I agree with the above poster also - why didnt you go to a rescue where you could have told them you were looking for a Rottie - many of them are surrendered to rescues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Rotties can have white on their chest but is very undesirable in the breed ring. It does sound like you've been scammed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Have you gotten any paperwork with the dog?
    Did you see the house the dog was in before you bought him?

It's great to say you should have done x, y and z, but what's done is done and you need help with now.
    I would seriously contact the breeder you bought it off and say about the dog's condition. I would also (if you got paper work) contact the IKC and tell them about this.
    A proper breeder would not have sold a dog that had a medical problem (or at least not without forewarning the buyer).
    As mentioned, there could be more issues with the dog. If you have your heart set on keeping the dog then I hope you have insurance if the dog needs medical attention.

Any more information you can give might help us help you more. Like the questions asked about age/papers/etc. I assume neither the ad nor the 'breeder' told you the dog had any problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 PaulWard80

€850 for a rottie? when there are loads of them in the pounds and rescues looking for homes. how old is he? did he come with papers?

he's 9 months old. I did not pay 850e but the guy i bought him from payed that for him as a pup.. I just have a copy of his breeding???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry to infrom you but if the dog is under shot and has that much white hair on him then its obviuosly not well bred.
    Did you not research the breed before buying this dog because if you did you would have known that any white on a rottie is not desired and is not breed stanard.

If the dog is under shot too this is a major fault as well so under no circumstances should you breed this dog with all the faults he has so get him neutered asap!!

Rotties that have a few white hairs as pups can grow out but this dog has a white blaze, not a few hairs and its never going to grow out.
    Did you not question the white hairs when you saw them:confused:

I absolutely despise done deal and the sooner people realise that this site is full of puppy farmers and dodgy breeders the better. I just cant understand how people are being conned and being robbed of their money. This is why its an absolute must that people do their homework before buying a pedigree dog.

• Advertisement

PaulWard80 wrote: »
    he's 9 months old. I did not pay 850e but the guy i bought him from payed that for him as a pup.. I just have a copy of his breeding???

So you bought him off someone who bought him from a 'breeder' ?

Were you given a certificate of his breed? is it a photocopy or is it a form for you to fill in?

Can you tell me his breeding please? I am involved with the Rottweiler CLub of ireland and would be very interested to know the breeding of this dog please.

Why was this fella selling him if he bought him for 850?

star-pants wrote: »
    Have you gotten any paperwork with the dog?
    Did you see the house the dog was in before you bought him?

It's great to say you should have done x, y and z, but what's done is done and you need help with now.
    I would seriously contact the breeder you bought it off and say about the dog's condition. I would also (if you got paper work) contact the IKC and tell them about this.
    A proper breeder would not have sold a dog that had a medical problem (or at least not without forewarning the buyer).
    As mentioned, there could be more issues with the dog. If you have your heart set on keeping the dog then I hope you have insurance if the dog needs medical attention.

Any more information you can give might help us help you more. Like the questions asked about age/papers/etc. I assume neither the ad nor the 'breeder' told you the dog had any problems?

I got a certificate of his breeding but that is all.. The guy i bought him from said he was promised that the papers would be sent but they never sent..

No all the guy i bought him from said he was told by the breeder that white will go when he gets older? Does this not happen?

Thanks.. Paul

andreac wrote: »
    Can you tell me his breeding please? I am involved with the Rottweiler CLub of ireland and would be very interested to know the breeding of this dog please.

I can post the breeding certificate i was given with him would you recognise the breeding?

Thanks for the reply.. Paul

• Advertisement

He was moving to england or so he said for work

I can only assume that the guy who bought him first, was either duped and not told about the health issues and felt he wanted to make some money back by selling it on, which is just horrible anyway. Or he made up this story to get rid of the dog.
    The guy had to be aware of the dogs jaw issue by now, so I'd be hard pushed to fully believe his 'moving country' story.
    I got a certificate of his breeding but that is all.. The guy i bought him from said he was promised that the papers would be sent but they never sent..

No all the guy i bought him from said he was told by the breeder that white will go when he gets older? Does this not happen?

Thanks.. Paul

Afaik that white won't go, it's part of his markings. Some breeds of pups change colour somewhat as they get older but usually markings like that remain.

Is the dog microchipped by the way?

I can post the breeding certificate i was given with him would you recognise the breeding?

Thanks for the reply.. Paul

Just post the sire and dams name, ill know the breeding. You can pm me the breeders name please.
    No that white will not go, if anything it will get worse.
    The story im sure was just lies about him moving, i hear it all the time. I doubt he was moving anywhere...

So hes not even IKC registered? Why did you go ahead and purchase this dog if you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,906 ✭✭✭billyhead

Just a little off topic but if a dog seller registered papers with the IKC does that mean its above board. I noticed on done deal that most of the dogs for sale are advertised with these papers mentioned

billyhead wrote: »
    Just a little off topic but if a dog seller registered papers with the IKC does that mean its above board. I noticed on done deal that most of the dogs for sale are advertised with these papers mentioned

Nope, anyone can register their dogs with the IKC once the parents have been registered. Doesnt guarantee anything.

Should add that only the breeder can register the dog with the IKC, once he knows that both parents are IKC reg.

billyhead wrote: »

Not always above board.
    (edit - from what little I know, could be wrong):
    Some breeders don't register every litter, therefore they will have more litters than they're supposed to have. If it's a popular breed, they can probably still get them sold without papers (i.e. supply and demand).
    They may advertise that the parents are IKC registered, or that they're from pure blood lines, which they may be, but the pups themselves may not be registered.
    Some will be legitimately registered puppies, but again if the breeders haven't registered all the litters, they could still be coming from a bad breeder.
    There are requirements, regarding the age of the mother, tests done, how many litters, how much time between litters etc.

It can be very hard to pick out what's legit and what's not if you don't know what you're doing, so it's best to fully research and contact breeders clubs/IKC and even then still check out who you're buying it from, seeing the home/where the puppies live, the papers, the parents, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

:rolleyes:

Do you have a bad opinion of this breeder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

He is gorgeous:D

Whilst Andreac is right, the white and the undershot jaw are faults, if you're not planning on showing or breeding your dog, then they don't really matter, as long as he can eat okay with his jaws not being aligned properly, can he?

If all you wanted was a pet, then it looks as though you have got a great one, just enjoy him.:)

lrushe wrote: »
    I know this breeding and the breeder, it's one of the better known kennels in Ireland. I have a half sister to your dog (different breeder), same sire. I can PM you his name, prehaps he's not aware where one of his pups have ended up.

They are some of the better known breeders? The guy i bought the dog from said he tried to contact them to get the papers for rex but to no avail..

Please do pm on there contact details.

Thanks paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

They are some of the better known breeders? The guy i bought the dog from said he tried to contact them to get the papers for rex but to no avail..

Please do pm on there contact details.

Thanks paul

PM sent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

OP, just out of interest, what are you planning to do with the dog now that you are aware of his 'problems', surely if you just wanted him as a pet, his colouring is irrelevant and, as another poster said, as long as he can eat properly with his undershot jaw, that's irrelevant too and he will still make a good pet? To my mind he just looks like a lovely handsome dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

ISDW wrote: »
    He is gorgeous:D

Whilst Andreac is right, the white and the undershot jaw are faults, if you're not planning on showing or breeding your dog, then they don't really matter, as long as he can eat okay with his jaws not being aligned properly, can he?

If all you wanted was a pet, then it looks as though you have got a great one, just enjoy him.:)

Excellent advice above. Even when a reputable breeder has a litter there will often be pups in it that are not show quality or are do not have the correct markings. Under or over shot jaws are not that uncommon but it disqualifies a dog from being shown. This does not mean the dog won't make an excellent pet.
    Ive seen some lovely puppies that have been run on for the show ring and then their bite does not develop correctly and they end up being sold as pets. Even from top winning parents not every pup in a litter is going to be show quality.

OP enjoy your new pet!

I dont have a problem with a dog if it turns out with in correct markings, mouth problems etc, but the breeder lied to this person and told them the white would disappear which in no way was it ever going to disappear and also they are still waiting for the papers too, good breeder?? I think not:mad:

I dont have a problem with a dog if it turns out with in correct markings, mouth problems etc, but the breeder lied to this person and told them the white would disappear which in no way was it ever going to disappear and also they are still waiting for the papers too, good breeder?? I think not:mad:

Have to agree with you there. I wonder did the breeder realise the dog was undershot and deliberately didnt give the papers but took the money all the same?

Edited to add that the breeder would have known that patch of white was not going to disappear. It also would looked fairly big on an 8 week old puppy.

Knine wrote: »
    Have to agree with you there. I wonder did the breeder realise the dog was undershot and deliberately didnt give the papers but took the money all the same?

Edited to add that the breeder would have known that patch of white was not going to disappear. It also would looked fairly big on an 8 week old puppy.

Exactly. Yes this breeder would have known the dog was undershot and had white on it, he was aware of the white as he told the new owner it would grow out...:rolleyes:

Also for the price paid originally the buyer would have expected a show quality pup. If the puppy was 8 weeks old the mouth could have been correct then but more often then not I would have had concerns by then and be keeping a close eye on it.

Thanks for all the help so far.

This pup was sold as a show quality/specimen dog with an 850e price tag, i understand that you can not predict nature but telling lies is not acceptable in my opinion.. As you all seem to agree the mouth and white chest are not going to improve?

The dog is ok health wise,I am just concerned that more issue's are possible because he has these as a young dog.. Otherwise he makes a great pet.

Well, do we know thats what happened though? The OP was told this by someone who has sold the dog on whilst its still only a puppy. We all know that people don't always tell the truth while selling things. The OP didn't buy this dog as an 8 week old puppy from the breeder, he/she has bought the dog recently. For all we know, the breeder may have sold the dog and explained the faults to the purchaser, but now they needed to sell an older dog, and so maybe it is them that has lied? We just don't know.

Also, what other paperwork is there? The certificate of his breeding, is that not the IKC certificate? So what else would the breeder be sending on? I also wonder how bad the undershot jaw is, if the OP couldn't see it, and it took a vet to point it out? Two sides to every story.

Trust me, i know all about this and its happened before with this breeder.

OK, I'll shut up being reasonable now and go back into my box:P:D

• Advertisement

ISDW wrote: »
    OK, I'll shut up being reasonable now and go back into my box:P:D

Yeah get back in there!!!:P

Advertisement