Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible problem with new Rottie?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

PaulWard80 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help so far.

This pup was sold as a show quality/specimen dog with an 850e price tag, i understand that you can not predict nature but telling lies is not acceptable in my opinion.. As you all seem to agree the mouth and white chest are not going to improve?The dog is ok health wise,I am just concerned that more issue's are possible because he has these as a young dog.. Otherwise he makes a great pet.

No, will not improve at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The undershot mouth and the white blaze will not disappear. The blaze is just a 'colour fault' and means nothing to health (imo it's ridiculous that it means anything in the show ring). The problem with the mouth probably isn't serious. One of my dogs has a very noticable underbite and the only 'problems' are that it takes her a while to eat chews because her jaws aren't as efficient, and that she makes a clicking sound when she pants.

Please don't let these tiny defects put you off what may be a fantastic dog.

It sounds very much like you were scammed. Buying off of Done Deal is a very risky business, and you can't even be sure that the papers you have are in any way connected to your dog. I'd also take the dog to the vet to make sure that you haven't been sold a time bomb of illnesses.

In future you're better off going to a reputable rescue. The dogs there will be health and temperment tested so that you'll know exactly what you're getting.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive removed all references to the breed line in this thread as I feel it could identify an individual breeder who may or may not have a problem with their identity being openly available.

As well as that there are some comments that could be potentially libelous on this thread.

By all means discuss the dogs problems but please do so without referring to the breeder and their reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 breaker2011

I can't see why people can't be named and shamed, that breeder knew well that dog was not show worthy, If he was any type of breeder he would know that. I'm also in the process of buying a Rottie and its taking time. I also got stung by a so called "Excellent Breeder" who took a €250 deposit and no pup.
    First excuse was the mother didn't take to them (not a road I want to go down), the second excuse was all the pups died and he was re-breeding her again (not even a break for the bitch)... I wanted out and I haven't been able contact him in Navan since. I need a show dog not something from a back yard sold on donedeal. Breeders are getting away with things way to easy to turn over a buck or two.
    I would definately buy a dog from ISPCA or a dog shelter for a pet but I just want a show dog for now but maybe the next one. I also fully support Dog Shelters and would always ask people to get their dogs there,

Breaker2011, send me a pm and i can give you contact details to the Rottweiler Club of Ireland as i am on the committee:)

• Advertisement

Thanks Andrea, just sent that. Hope you got it.

I can't see why people can't be named and shamed, that breeder knew well that dog was not show worthy, If he was any type of breeder he would know that. I'm also in the process of buying a Rottie and its taking time. I also got stung by a so called "Excellent Breeder" who took a €250 deposit and no pup.
    First excuse was the mother didn't take to them (not a road I want to go down), the second excuse was all the pups died and he was re-breeding her again (not even a break for the bitch)... I wanted out and I haven't been able contact him in Navan since. I need a show dog not something from a back yard sold on donedeal. Breeders are getting away with things way to easy to turn over a buck or two.
    I would definately buy a dog from ISPCA or a dog shelter for a pet but I just want a show dog for now but maybe the next one. I also fully support Dog Shelters and would always ask people to get their dogs there,

Doesnt surprise me as this is the same breeder the OP is talking about too.:mad:

They really need strick rules for breeding, like German not every joe soap can breed dogs. No wonder there are so many homeless dogs. Its sad :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

When you mention "the breeder" do you usually mean the owner of the dog or the bitch? Or does the breeder refer to both?

Whispered wrote: »
    When you mention "the breeder" do you usually mean the owner of the dog or the bitch? Or does the breeder refer to both?

Its usually the owner of the bitch as they are breeding the litter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I can't see why people can't be named and shamed,

Because its against boards rules and not just this forums rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 PaulWard80

This is shocking. Cant understand how people get away with actions like this. Disgrace i agree the breeder should be named and shamed if for no other reason than to prevent it happening again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 PaulWard80

andreac wrote: »
    Doesnt surprise me as this is the same breeder the OP is talking about too.:mad:

Unbelievable:mad: thanks andreac for all the information. Hopefully something can be done to prevent this from happening again

Well if you have a great stud and he is being used by a bad bitch then its bringing down the name of the stud and this does happen. If I had a dog for stud it would only be allowed with good bitches to keep a good blood line.
    I can understand why you shouldn't name and shame but I see companies getting slated and that can't be fair either. If people are getting done out of money why not help others not make the same mistake. This person has done this to 3 people I know of and I bet if I rang him from another number he'd try sell me another make believe pup...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

The best thing anyone can do if they are unhappy with a breeder is report them to the IKC, the more complaints they get about a particular breeder, the more of an annoyance the breeder becomes to them and the more likely they are to act.
    It really is a buyer beware situation though as dog breeding is not tightly regulated, knowledge is power and if anything seem amiss walk away, don't be swayed by a sob story or a cute puppy. The only way to stop bad breeders is to hit them where it hurts, in the pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dillon47

I saw this thread when it was first posted and knowing the sire and dam ..i too know this breeder but as the moderator says I will not mention names.First of all Breaker2011 ...just to correct you .. Its Cavan and not Navan this breeder is from. Although I am not involved in this breed I am involved in another breed for the past 30 years. This breeders reputation does not appear to have improved through the years. I have heard time after time of people being conned out of their deposits and I also know that the said breeder does not register all his pups.(Only the people that keep hassling him for paperwork) His idea is to keep his number of litters at a minimum so as to appear to be a 'reputable' breeder. As he is a 'Dub' like myself he was formerly known as 'Billy Liar' so this will give you an idea of his character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

If someone is taking deposits then disappearing - isn't that illegal?

If it's done regularly, surely something can be done? :(

People who have been scammed don't seem to be doing anything about it or don't know where to go to seek help. I personally know of one person who bought from this place and is still waiting on papers, her dog is 9 months old and despite me pushing her she seems to be ok with just letting things drag on. If the majority of people who are being scammed have this attitude then it might go some way to explaining why this breeder is getting away with it.

I have called the Rottweiler Club of Ireland and they assured me his membership was taken off him as they had so many complaints. I also wrote a letter to the Irish Kennel Club and I'm waiting on a reply from them and I plan to apply to the samll claims court to get my deposit back. Your friend should give the dog back or do the same as me. He is just going to keep doing it unless we all do something to stop him.

I have called the Rottweiler Club of Ireland and they assured me his membership was taken off him as they had so many complaints. I also wrote a letter to the Irish Kennel Club and I'm waiting on a reply from them and I plan to apply to the samll claims court to get my deposit back. Your friend should give the dog back or do the same as me. He is just going to keep doing it unless we all do something to stop him.

A big well done to you....it's just a pity it has taken so long to highlight what this breeder is like...but its good to see someone who is determined to see it through to the end....good luck and hope you get your money back

• Advertisement

Your friend should give the dog back or do the same as me. He is just going to keep doing it unless we all do something to stop him.

She won't give the dog back, he is the absolute centre of her life but I am going to keep pushing her to get those paper and report him to the IKC or at the very least be an annoyance to him :)

lrushe wrote: »
    She won't give the dog back, he is the absolute centre of her life but I am going to keep pushing her to get those paper and report him to the IKC or at the very least be an annoyance to him :)
    keep posting in his guest book on his website for your papers that will really prick his ears up when he knows every one can see it.

dillon47 wrote: »
    keep posting in his guest book on his website for your papers that will really prick his ears up when he knows every one can see it.

Or if he were to have a public Facebook page :D;)

Now your talking good one...;)

He does have a facebook page;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

absoloutely there can be something done... why not take a little trip to your local garda station???:)
    totally understand where she's at, nobody could give their dog back not after having it for that long but as i said the gardai are there for a reason tell her to use them, i'm sure the last thing he would want is a knock on his door from them!!
    He does have a facebook page;)
    and here was me wondering why you were not a friend in common on that!:p little did i know:o

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

Just a note about Donedeal, I bought a pup from there two days ago.
    Its not a showdog or anything we just wanted a pet.
    The reason I did'nt go to a rescue centre was I have a very nervous cat and
    I felt if we had a pup the cat would be dominant.
    It looked to me that it was a lady selling a pup as a litter from her pet , which she sent me photos of, but when I met her to collect the pup in passing she told me she had started breeding chihuahuas.
    Would this be classed as a puppy farm? Pup has vaccinations and in very good health. I didnt know of the negativity around donedeal until I read this thread, it was my local dog groomers who recommened I go on there to buy a pup.
    My mother in law is now thinking of buying one of the same litter, should she think twice?
    I still love the little pup and I'm glad i have her.
    Im just a bit shocked I suppose, was I naive about donedeal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

@tishandy- yes, I'd say your breeder is in it for the money, as people usually are, especially if she's breeding a couple types of dogs. Having said that, she may not be a 'puppy farmer' with loads of dogs, but if your mother is looking for a pup, perhaps you could put the word out with friends/family/vet or take a trip to your local shelters- sadly there is never a shortage of pups in this country. Personally, I would not want to hand over money to anyone breeding just for money as I'd rather spend that money supporting a good rescue.
    My advice in general is to stay away from donedeal though as it's a definite gamble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Lots of pups in rescue centres around the country. I'd rather support a rescue centre than someone who I suspected was only in it for the money.

http://www.irishanimals.ie/homes.html

Where is your mum located and we can recommend some places for her to look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

Toulouse wrote: »
    Lots of pups in rescue centres around the country. I'd rather support a rescue centre than someone who I suspected was only in it for the money.

http://www.irishanimals.ie/homes.html

Where is your mum located and we can recommend some places for her to look.
    I know, you see I took in a stray dog at christmas. Animal welfare had no room for him. He was in a bad way and very quiet and placid, but absolutley hunted my cat. He eventually bit my cat and drew blood. I had him for a few weeks and found him a home with a lovely couple in the country. Thats why I was worried about bringing an adult dog into the home.

Advertisement