Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

security netowork key

• 03-04-2011 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

hi there

bought a new laptop today and while its working find with broadband when plugged in , when i try to use wireless , i keep getting asked to type in the security network key ? , i tried typing in the wireless key from the bottom of the modem but its not that , any ideas welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Did you create the key yourself? Are you sure you're trying to connect to the right wifi network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Did you create the key yourself? Are you sure you're trying to connect to the right wifi network?

no , im not sure

i had a lot of trouble uploading the norton 360 cd for some reason and the system seems to be still reeling from it , the computer came with a one month cover of mc fee anti virus which i tried to uninstall so i could then install the norton and im not sure i suceeded in doing either

Is any computer connected to the wifi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Are you upc

i had to put my WPA code in capitals for it to work

Is any computer connected to the wifi?

presently , another laptop and a plug in pc are working of the thompson wireless modem

• Advertisement

Hopefully it's running vista or windows 7
    If not post back:

On the wifi connected laptop/pc

click start
    click control panel
    click network and internet
    click network and sharing center
    click manage wireless networks
    double click the wifi network you want to try to connect to with the other computer
    click security tab
    click "show characters"
    the network security key will appear in the box above

If not post back:

click start
    click control panel
    double click the wifi network you want to try to connect to with the other computer
    click security tab
    click "show characters"

the pc is windows xl

ok give me a minute to dig up a windows xp machine

Ok so I dont think I can do the same thing on windows xp. You dont have caps lock on do you? The only option might be to press the reset button on the modem (most have them and you need a pen or pin to ptrss them in as they're recessed) and start again with the modems default settings. Is it a upc modem as Crosáidí asked?

Ok so I dont think I can do the same thing on windows xp. You dont have caps lock on do you? The only option might be to press the reset button on the modem (most have them and you need a pen or pin to ptrss them in as they're recessed) and start again with the modems default settings. Is it a upc modem as Crosáidí asked?

no , pure telecom broadband

when i search for a connection on the new laptop , a box appears asking for the security key , as i mentioned earlier , i tried entering the wireless key but to no avail

• Advertisement

If you press the reset button on the back it should reset everything including the security key to the original key printed on the modem. You'll have to set up each wifi device again with the printed security key but the plugged in devices will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

If not post back:

click start
    click control panel
    click security tab
    click "show characters"

Sorry to butt in on the thread irishh bob - but i have the same problem. Cookie - i have vista but when i go into security tab it wont let me click the "show characters" box - its there but wont allow me to click it?? Any ideas? - thanks

MIRMIR82 wrote: »
    Sorry to butt in on the thread irishh bob - but i have the same problem. Cookie - i have vista but when i go into security tab it wont let me click the "show characters" box - its there but wont allow me to click it?? Any ideas? - thanks

are you an admin account or just a user on the PC? You'd need to be an admin account

are you an admin account or just a user on the PC? You'd need to be an admin account

God i dont know - its my comp - but brother in law set it up for me - sorry me stupid:o how will i find out?

Users coming up as my name and public?

Log into the router via a network cable, and look up security, the credentials should be there.

NoDrama wrote: »
    Log into the router via a network cable, and look up security, the credentials should be there.

True. Some routers show the code and others don't. The address for the router could be:
    Or

If it's neither of these then it'll be on the router or in the documentations.

Doesnt show code:( i may re-set i think

Easiest way to find out the router address is,
    start > applications (accessories in xp) > cmd

(apologies I spend most of my time on Mac, Linux, etc).

Anyways,

When the cmd (command prompt) window opens,

enter the following without the quotes 'ipconfig'

it will return information regarding the connection you have, the 'Default gateway' is the address of your router.

Enter that address in the address bar of your web browser.
    And your talking to your Router.

True. Some routers show the code and others don't. The address for the router could be:
    Or

If it's neither of these then it'll be on the router or in the documentations.

i have that kind of code on my pc , i tried typing it into the laptop when asked for the security key , didnt work :(

Thats not a security key. It's just the address for the router. Plug in your laptop to the router and type the address. If the above dont work follow NoDrama's instructions.
    Then under security or wifi you might find the network security key

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 obrien.cathal

Gee, I think you have 2 problems here.

1. You have a messy uninstall/install cohabitation of Norton and McAfee which you mentioned at the start. You may need to download the McAfee and/or Norton uninstallers if it didn't uninstall correctly. I cannot tell you how many computers I've had to repair with dodgy Norton installs. I avoid it like the plague.

2. Your broadband connection. As the guys have explained you will need to get the wireless password for your modem. To do this you need to connect to it using the wired network as you cannot connect wirelessly as you do not have the password for the wireless connection. So
    1. Go to the computer that is connected to your router using a wired connection.
    2. In your internet explorer (or other browser) address bar type in each of the following addresses until you see a screen that looks like a webpage. It will probably also say 'Thomson' or the name of the modem manufacturer on the page:
    3. 192.168.1.1
    4. 192.168.1.254
    5. 192.168.2.1
    6. If these work go to step 10. If these do not work go to the start menu > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt
    7. Type ipconfig
    8. Read the output and find the line entitled default gateway. It should have a number similar to those listed above.
    9. Type the number from step 8 into your browser window
    10. Find the wireless settings in the browser window.
    11. Find a tab for security
    12. In the security settings you should be able to read or reset the password for your wireless connection.
    Hope this helps. If you are still having trouble and need to get someone else to take a look at it I can help you out just follow this linkto my webpage for IT support. I should be able to sort your problem out remotely/over the phone.

Cathal

Gee, I think you have 2 problems here.

1. You have a messy uninstall/install cohabitation of Norton and McAfee which you mentioned at the start. You may need to download the McAfee and/or Norton uninstallers if it didn't uninstall correctly. I cannot tell you how many computers I've had to repair with dodgy Norton installs. I avoid it like the plague.

2. Your broadband connection. As the guys have explained you will need to get the wireless password for your modem. To do this you need to connect to it using the wired network as you cannot connect wirelessly as you do not have the password for the wireless connection. So
    1. Go to the computer that is connected to your router using a wired connection.
    2. In your internet explorer (or other browser) address bar type in each of the following addresses until you see a screen that looks like a webpage. It will probably also say 'Thomson' or the name of the modem manufacturer on the page:
    3. 192.168.1.1
    4. 192.168.1.254
    5. 192.168.2.1
    6. If these work go to step 10. If these do not work go to the start menu > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt
    7. Type ipconfig
    8. Read the output and find the line entitled default gateway. It should have a number similar to those listed above.
    9. Type the number from step 8 into your browser window
    10. Find the wireless settings in the browser window.
    11. Find a tab for security
    12. In the security settings you should be able to read or reset the password for your wireless connection.
    Hope this helps. If you are still having trouble and need to get someone else to take a look at it I can help you out just follow this linkto my webpage for IT support. I should be able to sort your problem out remotely/over the phone.

Cathal

ok i selected the code (4) in my adress bar and duly opnend the thompson gateway homepage but thier is no step 10 when your in there , when i went to command prompt and typed iconfig , the code which came up for default getaway is a code ive tried on the laptop before and to no avail , in the home network section of the thompson homepage , thier is an option called wireless and ethernet , the wireless option has a code, perhaps this is the security key ?

test it and see

Advertisement