Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream

• 03-04-2011 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

I bought the Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Skin Protectant today (it was a set, with other lovely moisturisers).
    Now, without sounding stupid, do you use it all over your face? I just find it an unusual texture to rub all over your face.
    Any help/advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I know! It's a conundrum!

I bought it and thought I was getting a cream, turns out it is a foul smelling Vaseline type jelly.

I didn't use it much tbh. I have No Clue why people rave about this stuff!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭agrif06

Eight great ways to use Eight Hour Cream

1. Alleviate dry skin.
    2. Great gloss for lips.
    3. Highlight eyelids, cheeks and shoulders.
    4. For after shaving or waxing.
    5. Shape brows into place.
    6. Soften rough, dry cuticles.
    7. Antidote for rough heels and soles.
    8. Best in-flight moisture booster.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Regina Phalange

Thanks guys
    amdublin wrote: »
    I know! It's a conundrum!

I bought it and thought I was getting a cream, turns out it is a foul smelling Vaseline type jelly.

I didn't use it much tbh. I have No Clue why people rave about this stuff!!!!

I know, I was soooo excited and now I'm like :confused:
    agrif06 wrote: »

1. Alleviate dry skin.
    2. Great gloss for lips.

Thanks for the suggestions, sound good, but can I use it as my nightly moisturiser before bed?

As a moisturiser all over your face??

Oh and the colour of it!!!!

Eeugh :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

I got this in a little set with the eight hour cream and the lip balm, no idea what it's for!! Been trying to figure it out since last October.
    I used on my as a moisturiser on my face in the mornings but it took so long to sink in, I wasn't able to put foundation on without washing the grease off.
    Then I tried to use it as a night cream but it destroyed my pillow.
    Then I tried it on super dry areas like elbows or heels and saw no results.
    I'd love to know...

As a moisturiser all over your face??

It's probably a bit greasy for all over the face, but good on any dry patches. It's great as a lip balm, for cold sores, any red patches, windburn, sunburn, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

8 hour cream isn't meant to be used as an all over face moisturiser afaik.. As others have said it's best for treating smaller areas that need intensive moisturising.
    Elizabeth Arden do have an 8 hour moisturiser for your face. It's a 'normal' white cream, different texture and smell to the original 8 hour cream. I've used it and found it good.

zzxx wrote: »
    Elizabeth Arden do have an 8 hour moisturiser for your face. It's a 'normal' white cream, different texture and smell to the original 8 hour cream. I've used it and found it good.

Okay! Well this is the one I want to buy in future so!

That other one is rubbish - did nothing on my feet. Plus the smell!!!!! Oh jebus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

I had it ages before I started using it but now I'm hooked it's the best cure for chapped lips and I also but it on really dry patches of skin before I get into bed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I agree with the smell of it, ugh, it is disgusting.

I got it in a set 3 years ago in NYC and have used it about 5 times since then.

It's good for dry/sore/chapped lips, but I can't wear it for more than a few minutes as the smells makes my stomach turn!

I love the 8hr hand cream, best hand cream ever, shame it's so expensive though.

Around xmas I got the hand cream (75ml) on FragranceDirect.co.uk for about £8 + postage, worked out about €13 incl postage, haven't seen it on there since though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I got this because i heard everyone raving about it.
    Found it good for dry patches o my cheeks, but nothing other intensive moistuisers wouldnt do. Ok as a lip balm too but dont go near any boys or theyll run with the smell/taste!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

1. Alleviate dry skin.
    2. Great gloss for lips.

exactly like vaseline ....

1. Alleviate dry skin.
    2. Great gloss for lips.
    Glowing wrote: »

Except it smells gross!!! And is about ten times the price of Vaseline!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭Cgoodie

I find it great for my hands they get really dried out and cracked but I lather in the 8 hour cream at night and put cotton gloves on over it and when I wake up my hands are really soft - i wouldn't use it in the morning and during the day because of the grease and the smell. The lip balm is great aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭rebelle

It's probably a bit greasy for all over the face, but good on any dry patches. It's great as a lip balm, for cold sores, any red patches, windburn, sunburn, etc.

Hey, does it actually work on cold sores?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

That's strange, I don't mind the smell of it at all! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

When i was a child in the 60's, 8hour cream was part of my mother's first aid kit. It's very soothing on sore skin and one benefit is that one application stays on till wiped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

I use it every night on my lips and find it really good. My lips are really soft when I wake up. I wouldn't put it on my face though.
    Glowing wrote: »

Vaseline actually dries out skin in the long run, despite people thinking the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Melissa89

I always used Vaseline on my lips but the eight hour cream is so much better and it lasts for ages. Great for any dry patches, elbows, knees, behind the ears. I had carpet burn on my elbows recently and this cleared it right up really quickly! It is expensive but it lasts so long as you only need to use a little of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

I had a terrible sore nose (one of those inside jobs, where I must have scratched it in the night) and it worked so well on it.

So much better than germoline which I had started off with.

Now the smell of germoline is way worse than 8 hour (which I have to say I do not find that bad).

Thanks for the advice everyone!! Glad I'm not alone ;)

Funnily enough I got a cold sore after buying it, my cold sore has definitely healed faster and has been less painful and annoying than other occasions.

I got this as part of the set. This is what I initially wanted as I thought that was what everyone raved about, but I don't find the 'normal' moisturising cream that good, quite average. Pity
    Plus the smell!!!!! Oh jebus!

:o I actually like the smell....
    rebelle wrote: »

I found it really good on my cold sore, reduced it significantly. I used Compeed Cold Sore patches as well though, so perhaps a combo of both!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭wosheen

When I first got it I didn't think I'd get much use out of it either, but suddenly I was using it all the time... now keep a small one in my handbag for daily use.

Great for lips and dry cuticles, and dry patches of skin on my face in the winter. Also I had some stitches in my lip, and I found the scar seemed to go away faster using it! So maybe it's good for scars too...

Have to say I don't mind the smell either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

It's really good for dry cuticles as wosheen said. I splashed out on a tube after hearing rave reviews, had an awful reaction to it on my face and now it's the most expensive cuticle gel I own.

Does this cream work on cuts?

I nearly sliced my finger of yesterday and have a cut mark on my finger from it, would this cream be OK to apply to the cut? The cut itself it sore :( I haven't applied anything to the cut yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 gubernaculum

i probably wouldn't use it on a cut; it isn't an antiseptic so is more likely to irritate the area.

in general though - love this stuff, even the smell! use it any time i get acne and it always dries them out in super quick time. my hands/elbows are very dry and it works wonders on them as an intensive moisturiser. i own the moisturisers for body and face as well and the lip balms and they all get loads of use but think it's a love it/hate it product in general.

i probably wouldn't use it on a cut; it isn't an antiseptic so is more likely to irritate the area.
    Cheers for your help, appreciate it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Any farmers daughter's will recognise the smell of 8hr cream as the same as the cream used for chapped udders on dairy cows. When I first used the 8hr cream my dad asked had I been over in the dairy as I smelled like the cream. Ingredient wise I think they pretty much are the same and the udder cream comes in at 1kg for third of the price!

rebelle wrote: »

Yes, I find it gets rid of them really quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I never got the hype around this product, being honest. I bought it a few years ago and was pretty disappointed by it. I'm not sure why it's a cult product.

It's just a more luxurious version of Vaseline, really.

I use Lush's Ultrabalm which is similar and I find it much better. It's cheaper as well.

8 hour cream isn't meant to be used as an all over face moisturiser afaik.. As others have said it's best for treating smaller areas that need intensive moisturising.

So the 'normal' cream has made my face break out in a rash... :(

I hate looking for new moisturisers.... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Ha ha - remember when I first got it I thought it was a wonder cream for the face so I lashed it on but my hair stuck to my face all over. It is sooooooo greasy - but I've learned - it is good for the lips and to tidy the auld eyebrows.

Speaking about wonder creams though - I cannot see what all the fuss is with Clarins Beauty Flash Balm either !! Just a regular cream imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fingalgirl

thalia_13 wrote: »
    Any farmers daughter's will recognise the smell of 8hr cream as the same as the cream used for chapped udders on dairy cows. When I first used the 8hr cream my dad asked had I been over in the dairy as I smelled like the cream. Ingredient wise I think they pretty much are the same and the udder cream comes in at 1kg for third of the price!
    Haha! What's the udder cream called and where can I get it? ...or not, i got the eight hour fragrance free cream, I don't think I could stand the original anywhere near on face! PS our cows used to get a Vaseline equivalent, but I think there also was a Vaseline with marigold version, very smelly also!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Zombie thread: locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement