Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Car Parks Parking Fine

Options
  • 03-04-2011 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I got a parking ticket the other day from euro car parks in the old esso(I think!) petrol station by the Uluru. There was no spaces available in the WRH car park and after driving around for about 15 mins looking for one decided that I'd try across the road.

There was a few spaces available on what was the old forecourt of the petrol station so I parked there. Had a good look around and there is no signs in that area regarding parking charges or clamping etc. I know there is signs up around the car park outside ardkeen stores but none down where I parked.

When I came back to the car I saw a guy going around taking numbers of cars. But I had no ticket so I didn't worry. This was 10.45am.

I had to go back to the hospital later so when I arrived out I saw that there was spaces available in the same place so parked there in case the hospital was still full. When I got back to the car at about 5.30pm I had a ticket with a fine stating that I was parked there from 10.40am to 5.20pm. I wasn't even in the same space.

Problem I have is that there is no signs down where I parked but there is one up past the Supermacs but thats at the entrance to the Ardkeen stores car park. Didn't think where I parked was part of that car park!
    Do I have any comeback on this due to lack of signage. Also someone said to me today that legally you don't have to pay the fines of private car park operators, only the parking fines of the council but this sounds ridiculous to me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

Is there some appeals procedure so
    you can make your case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭karbonkoncepts

They have no way of getting ur address...legally that is..the only agencies that can get/use that information are the local authorities for car tax/ traffic fine and environmental reasons, the gardai for obvious reasons and the customs service..private firms have no way of getting your address from your reg number for fines....throw the fine in the bin....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 obrien.cathal

Hi,

As far as I know private car parking companies have no legal authority to charge you a fine. That's why the clamp you, when you are clamped you don't pay a fine you pay a clamp release fee.

Cathal

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MikeyReilly

Okay so I just forget about this fine? Do they just rely on peoples honesty to pay fines to make money? Just doesn't sound like a good way to make money to me. A bit too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 waterford1

I always get fines from Euro Car Parks best thing is tear it up and bin it they never chase them up.

• Advertisement

Really? I use the carpark at the hyper center regularly and this is also run by them. Would they not have a record of my car reg and clamp me if my number was entered into the device they use to record the car reg numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 fbrophy

Really? I use the carpark at the hyper center regularly and this is also run by them. Would they not have a record of my car reg and clamp me if my number was entered into the device they use to record the car reg numbers.

For a fixed penalty notice (ie a fine) to be legally enforceable then there must be a law or bylaw to back it up. Private car parks are not covered by the Road Traffic act or waterford city council bylaws and have no right to any information regarding a car reg. As for them having your details, i doubt it is cost efffective for them to maintain the database as then they would have to comply with the Data protection act.

bin the ticket, it is litter.

Thanks guys. Tickets going in the fire so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 quinni

Hi All, this a fairly interesting thread as it seems to be a grey area. Private companies enter you into a contract when you park on their property and this is not covered by by laws etc.

Did any off ye receive a letter stating you have been fined or was it just a ticket on the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I used to work in heatons and they put a ticket on my bike once. I said it to my boss and he said to throw it in the bin and tell them to fook off if they say anything to you. Was in the bin already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I have gotten a few fines from them in my time, never paid any of them. never had any comeback

Thanks for the replys lads. The ticket went in the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 t00116201

hi,

Need advice :

Got a ticket from euro parks today : in a hospital carpark:

will I bother paying it :

Thanks

HELEN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

t00116201 wrote: »
    hi,

Need advice :

Got a ticket from euro parks today : in a hospital carpark:

will I bother paying it :

Thanks

HELEN

No need to pay. Throw it in the bin and you will never hear anything more about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

So if IM ever looking for parking and see the Euro car park sign, I dont have to pay no matter where I am?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

deadybai wrote: »
    So if IM ever looking for parking and see the Euro car park sign, I dont have to pay no matter where I am?

They could clamp you, could they not?

fbrophy wrote:
    For a fixed penalty notice (ie a fine) to be legally enforceable then there must be a law or bylaw to back it up. Private car parks are not covered by the Road Traffic act or waterford city council bylaws and have no right to any information regarding a car reg. As for them having your details, i doubt it is cost efffective for them to maintain the database as then they would have to comply with the Data protection act.

As they would only be holding a list of reg numbers there would be no Data Protection implications ..... and that would hardly be much to 'maintain'.

The difficulty they would have is with a vehicle changing ownership .... they could highlight particular vehicles with a list, but could do nothing except apply their rules strictly to those vehicles, in the future.

Past deeds/non-payments could not be applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

seanybiker wrote: »
    I used to work in heatons and they put a ticket on my bike once. I said it to my boss and he said to throw it in the bin and tell them to fook off if they say anything to you. Was in the bin already.

The man who works on the car parks in the hyper centre really really takes his job seriously! I have seen him circle cars for up to 5 minutes as if there was a bomb in it, then shaking his head and writing down the reg number. You would think from his demeanour that you are headed for jail if you don't pay the fine. I wasn't aware they mean so little. Bin in future then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

The man who works on the car parks in the hyper centre really really takes his job seriously! I have seen him circle cars for up to 5 minutes as if there was a bomb in it, then shaking his head and writing down the reg number. You would think from his demeanour that you are headed for jail if you don't pay the fine. I wasn't aware they mean so little. Bin in future theln!

He is living out his younger days when he used to be a cop. Ticket everyone. :-D

Advertisement