Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones Bike Scheme

Options
  • 03-04-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi Folks!

I was asked by a friend to let the good people of boards know about plans to set up a free bike scheme in greystones. It is being proposed by the greystones transistion towns group and is based upon a similar scheme in portland, USA. (basic info on that one: http://c2.com/ybp/story.html).

I'm not involved in it or the transition towns group yet (just due to being too busy) and dont know the complete ins and outs of the bike scheme, but basically we all donate busted-up second hand bikes to the scheme, where they are fixed up by volunteers and painted a bright distinctive colour, probably yellow, and are left at set places around the town. You dont have to pay or register like Dublin bikes, but you just use it when you want and leave it back to a stand when you're finished.

Now, the cynics among you, myself included :D, may figure that these bikes are all going to be nicked, but the whole point of the scheme is that it is done in good faith, and can be something for the town to be proud of, so hopefully they wont all dissapear in a month :D. (Yeah, I dont really know how it's going to pan out but sure we'll see.....)

Anywho, anyone who'd like to donate an old bike can drop them into the happy pear on church road. There's a facebook page but as yet there nothing on it: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Greystones-Bikes/119762728100549

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's a reason why DublinBikes, Velib etc require registration - attempts at less regulated schemes in the past have not generally been successful: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2007/jan/06/freestuff.guardianspecial435

something along the lines of Rothar in town might be a better idea, people can bring their old wrecked bikes to a community workshop where they can fix them up for their own use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

It would be really nice if this did work, but I don't think it will.

If people's own bikes have been stolen at the dart station locked up, then whats stopping the same people from so very easily nicking a communal bike. Pessimistic I know. I would like it to work though, it would be great if everyone was in on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrickpc

Jammyc wrote: »
    It would be really nice if this did work, but I don't think it will.

If people's own bikes have been stolen at the dart station locked up, then whats stopping the same people from so very easily nicking a communal bike. Pessimistic I know. I would like it to work though, it would be great if everyone was in on it.

Have to agree sadly - I could probably name a few of the little charmers in our midst who will be nicking the bikes as well.

Maybe if the bikes were painted Luminous pink it might put them off. We'd have to watch out for light fingered Barbies however... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Two Boys

I love this idea, really hope we can make it work!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Has anyone heard anything on the bike scheme? The Facebook page hasn't had any activity for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Matt in IT

there was a need for a little fund raising.
    a few babies also came in to the equation for some of the people getting it going.

There are about 80 bikes in fairly poor repair that need to be fixed up and painted in a "distinctive" colour. :)

If you want to get involved then post on the Facebook page.
    I'm a member of the page so I'll keep an eye out.

Advertisement