Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Left or Right hand drive?

• 03-04-2011 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

Folks , just curious , but do most of ye have left or right hand drives , and if ye were changing , would you go left or right again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

Left hand drive, and I'm sort of regretting it. I'm sure it'll be fine when we get to France later in the year, but it's a pain at junctions here if you have no co-pilot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

We went for a righty on the basis that we would much rather drive a RHD in France than a LHD here. Have taken the car to France many times and driving a RHD there is a no bother at all. In the camper I'll be higher up so it should be even easier. Also 2-4 weeks in France per year means 48-50 weeks here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Left hand drive at the moment with no issues.
    If changing, layout, condition, service history & price etc would be more important than left or right hand drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

RHD. Would like to think I'd stick it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Mine's a RHD and only issue is gauging the trees on my left, lost my first awning to a branch which was too close.
    Previously had a LHD and found it very easy to drive apart from overtaking large vehicles and occasional junctions.
    To purchase the next one LHD/RHD wouldn't make a difference to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Left Hand Drive (as was the last one)
    There is something very comfortable about driving a LHD down small country roads knowing exactly how close you are to the ditch :D

Ye you have to plan ahead a junctions (ie if your turning left you have to approach perpendicular to junction as if you were turning right) and also overtaking (you have to hang back a little to get a view)......but very little overtaking in the van :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭clionaricho

LHD and dont think its an issue except for some junctions but you just have to learn to take them at the right angles. I would agree that layout etc is more important factor when deciding to buy. I also presume but dont know if I am correct that it is slightly more expenisive to get a RHD ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

Mine is a left hand drive and I would go for the same if changing. As already said you can tuck in tight to the left when driving on our narrow roads and left hand drive in Europe is so much easier. Also while more time is spent in Ireland the vast majority of our mileage is clocked up in France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irishrver

Left or right hand drive choice is last on my list when it came to purchase. First find a motorhome you like, one that ticks all the boxes for comfort etc etc then which ever one gives you the best value for money is the right one what ever side the driver's wheel is on.
    my first camper was right but am now on my second left hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

all mine have been right hand,but i would agree that if you find a layout that suits you i would not be put off if it was a lefty,
    the main reason i go for right is the the resale value, people do prefer RHDs then their are the dealers who sell you a LDH saying it makes no differance only to be told when you bring it back to change it that he can only offer you €X because its a lefty !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

LHD because:
    More comfortable/natural in Europe, majority of distance traveled is there.
    No great bother at home.
    AND, I can change in Europe if price/layout is right :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

all mine have been right hand,but i would agree that if you find a layout that suits you i would not be put off if it was a lefty,
    the main reason i go for right is the the resale value, people do prefer RHDs then their are the dealers who sell you a LDH saying it makes no differance only to be told when you bring it back to change it that he can only offer you €X because its a lefty !

You are correct about the Dealer.

But its fair to say a dealer who only sells new RHD's would.

Personally mine's a Left and I wouldnt go Right, for the narrow road theory, its a great help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

cheers for the opinions , I was curious! Bit of a lefty fan myself ,if I was ever to actually buy a camper I'd prob prefer LHD to RHD .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

Mine is LHD and I'm completely imune to it now.. doesn't make any difference to me tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭salamander27

LHD here too. Never really bothered me. Freaked the other half out though!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

LHD on mine. Doesn't really bother me at all and very handy for Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

LHD as well. Great for the continent and in Ireland when herself reads her book as we drive along it does frighten some oncoming drivers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭joed571

left for me. agree with it being a advantage on narrow Irish roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

LHD for us. Only had it a few weeks, but from a driving point of view the only issue really is overtaking - might not be an issue for coachbuilts who probably wouldn't fit past anyway. The missus is getting a bit freaked though!

Wouldn't be a major issue, but if it came down to two the same layout and similar price, i'd probably go RHD depending on the premium I'd be expecting to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Sold now, but ours was LHD.

As per comments above - it lets you know exactly where you are on narrow country roads in Ireland, so that's a big plus. Being slightly over the white line may not be ideal, but it's a lot better than being slightly in the ditch in a 3 ton van.

I did most of the driving, but when Mrs Z drove it used to freak me out to be sitting in the 'driving seat' with no steering wheel in front of me, especially when it seemed like a close call with a passing vehicle.

Turning left can be a bit of a problem, but as above just approach from the correct angle, go slowly, sit on the junction, etc . . . and you should be OK. I could see out the kitchen window (behind me) when turning left so that helped.

z

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 macan

I have a LHD and the only time it is a problem is overtaking. It can be difficult to see oncoming traffic at times when your behind a large vehicle but otherwise it is no problem at all. Would definetely buy another one

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭the rambler

im in a left hooker aswell, it makes no difference to me, if the layout and condition was right thats what would make my mind up,

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vincent coffey

leftie here, only a problem if you need to get around a bus or tractor. it was hairy for the first few trips but its natural now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bo.jangles

This one RHD last one LHD i=It did not bother me but WIFEY is a lot happer now. I THINK IT WAS LHD AND NOT MY SKILLS.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭tmalmb

Mine is a RHD, I've driven LHD and find it much of a muchness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

tmalmb wrote: »
    Mine is a RHD, I've driven LHD and find it much of a muchness

Same here. I've done a lot of driving in Europe including 53 seater coaches ( with passengers) and you soon get used to either way.

Advertisement