Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"We can rebuild her!"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

and also seeing the DCM course route signs

I was nearly going to rip one down and use it to cover me from the rain on my 10 miler tonight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well Mother Nature decided she didn't want me going for a run last night anyway, and voiced her displeasure by flooding the quays (and breaking the lift in my apartment building). Got out for 30 minutes easy this evening, covered just under 5k in that time. Feeling pretty good all the way through, which is definitely a good sign!

Cycled to de mammy's after work, want to vote before work tomorrow and I'm still registered in the sticks. Far too many traffic lights to make time comparisons meaningful, but the distance covered was around 10km.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Cycled to de mammy's after work, want to vote before work tomorrow and I'm still registered in the sticks. Far too many traffic lights to make time comparisons meaningful, but the distance covered was around 10km.

As long as Norris is on the ballot paper i'm happy :p Paying for my weekend he is. I'm sure your one vote is gonna make all the difference :)

On the bike again this morning, ~10km into work from Firhouse. At least it was mostly downhill!

Need to get a more comfortable backpack though, the one I was using gets horribly uncomfortable after about 15 minutes. Suggestions appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Great to see you back out and about RK - baby steps. I hope you're starting to feel better. I wouldn't wish how I've felt all summer on my worst enemy! Will we be seeing you for drinkies on Monday at the very least? :)

claralara wrote: »
    Will we be seeing you for drinkies on Monday at the very least? :)
    You bet :)

I'll probably also be up at the Chapelizod gate during the race to offer my support. This is a little weather-dependent though :pac:

I'm really, really, really hoping that there are no more health-related interruptions any time soon, though if the form of the previous 7 months holds then I'm due another speedbump around the time I finish up in work for Christmas. I'm almost scared to start planning anything for next year... I did plan something for the next few weeks though, I signed up for a beginners ashtanga yoga course starting on 8 November. Should be fun :)

30 mins easy run this evening, need to work up an appetite before I head off to Mulligans for good food and really good beer. :D

Distance covered isn't exact because my Garmin is taking ages to find a signal and I couldn't be arsed waiting for it, but my average moving pace was 9.55/mile - my first run in a VERY long time where the average pace was sub-10 min/mile and it didn't feel particularly hard or anything. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

RK you have had a tough year glad to see you getting back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

On the bike again this morning, ~10km into work from Firhouse. At least it was mostly downhill!

Need to get a more comfortable backpack though, the one I was using gets horribly uncomfortable after about 15 minutes. Suggestions appreciated.

cycle 40km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Bought on of these about 3 years ago in Great Outdoors, haven't looked back since!

http://www.deuter.com/en_DE/backpack-details.php?category=76&id=1708&title=Race%20EXP%20Air

Bit hung over this morning, so headed out to sweat the beer out. Did 7km, roughly the first half was uphill and that was a rather slow and grouchy start. Pretty much as soon as I turned to head back, somewhere around the Papal Cross car park and the top of the Kyber, it was pretty much "beer gone, yay!" and the pace picked up a bit, helped by the downhill :pac:

Might take the bike out in the morning, weather permitting :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Delighted to see you back at it RK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Great to see you back missus, onwards and upwards.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Great progress rk.

Enjoy the ashtanga . I bet you'll love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great to see you are feeling a lot better RK, and off the injury bench :)

Might take the bike out in the morning, weather permitting :p
    Lovely morning for it :D

45 minute spin around the Phoenix Park, a very nice way to spend my Sunday morning. I'm getting slightly faster, but I'm still very slow on the bike (not helped by having to dodge loads of cars because of the roadworks in the park). It'll come with time.

Cycled over to the Chapelizod gate of the park to offer my support to those doing DCM yesterday, saw my identical bike twin there too. Then proceeded to undo any (tiny bit of) good I'd done earlier in the day in McGrattans :pac:

There was a 40 minute cycle on my schedule today, but I had a couple of things to sort out this evening and it was 8.30 by the time I was able to get out and do anything. I decided it would be better at that point to replace the planned cycle with tomorrow's 30 minute easy run. Roughly 5km covered, 6.10ish/km moving pace, pretty happy with that. Will probably extend my cycle to work to take in a nice loop around the park in the morning, much easier in daylight.

On that note, given that I can start work at any time until 10am, it would really make sense for me to make the awkward transition and train in the morning at this time of year... :eek:

Nice little spin up to the park this morning - 40ish minutes before I turned for home to pick up my backpack and head into work. Workout done, showered and in work drinking the first coffee of the day by 9.30, not bad :) (for me, because I am NOT a morning person...)

On my schedule today was an optional 40 minute cycle, that didn't happen because the weather was absolutely foul this morning and I don't really like cycling in the park in the dark. Decided to get out for a 30 minute run after work (and a sneaky trip to Fallon & Byrne) instead. Um, slightly faster than intended. Forgot to switch the Garmin from bike to run mode for the first 500m, and it reset when I did that. Average pace after that was under 6 min/km (so ~9.30/mile), when I really should be outside 10 min/mile pace at the moment... average HR 150, which isn't high for me either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

On my schedule today was an optional 40 minute cycle, that didn't happen because the weather was absolutely foul this morning and I don't really like cycling in the park in the dark. Decided to get out for a 30 minute run after work (and a sneaky trip to Fallon & Byrne) instead. Um, slightly faster than intended. Forgot to switch the Garmin from bike to run mode for the first 500m, and it reset when I did that. Average pace after that was under 6 min/km (so ~9.30/mile), when I really should be outside 10 min/mile pace at the moment... average HR 150, which isn't high for me either.

Love that place :)

Nules10 wrote: »
    Love that place :)

Every time I go in there I end up buying at least one thing I don't need. So aside from the sun-dried tomatoes, cooking chorizo and balsamic vinegar which I went for, I somehow ended up with a tube of gourmet jelly beans and a small bar of chili dark chocolate. :pac:

Continuing on with the whole "slightly faster than intended" theme - today's planned run was 20 minutes at 9.30-9.40 pace. Long sleeve over the Garmin and had left the HRM strap back home. Ended up doing 25 minutes with an average pace of 5.33/km, which is closer to 8.30 pace. Whoops. :pac: but also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Ended up doing 25 minutes with an average pace of 5.33/km, which is closer to 8.30 pace. Whoops. :pac: but also :)

Sh1t we've another iron junkie on our hands:D, hopefully you've turned the corner J!

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Sh1t we've another iron junkie on our hands:D

If it means I can run without horrible shortness of breath and burning in my chest, and means I can function like a normal person, I'm all for it. :pac:

Just put together all the ****ty little runs I've done since the last time I updated the 1000 mile challenge table, am at just over 765 miles for the year. Going to miss the 1000 for the third year in a row - 235 miles in 8 weeks just isn't going to happen. There isn't a rolleyes smiley big enough for that.

Plan for today was 40 minutes easy run. Did around 7km, average pace 5.52/km (which is again about 20-30 secs/km faster than I had intended...). Absolutely gorgeous day to be out running in the Phoenix Park, almost wish I'd had a longer run on my schedule! Now to get comfy on my sofa and watch the NYC marathon. :)

30 minute easy run planned for this evening. Did that, plus an extra few minutes at the end because I needed to nip into the shop on the way home. 5.3km covered, 6.07/km average moving pace, average HR 147.

Heading into the Academy soon to see the wonderful Devin Townsend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good stuff RK, looks like you're back on track

• Advertisement

Plan for this evening - 3 mile run: 1 mile easy, 1 mile steady, 1 mile easy. Did this, covering 5.1km overall (actually did 2km of steady paced running because it's simpler to do on an out and back loop like the one I was using). Felt pretty good, steady-paced running was at ~5.30/km pace, easy paced was just over 6 min/km pace. Average HR 151 / max 170.

Advertisement