Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"We can rebuild her!"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Whats the target for Jingle Bells J? Must register myself!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ohhhh, now I have a target ;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Ohhhh, now I have a target ;)

Time to beat you again in another 5k race:) We probably have the same time goal so should try push each other on, whilst i am looking for a pb (under 19.11) i really would like to hit 18.xx.

Time to beat you again in another 5k race:) We probably have the same time goal so should try push each other on, whilst i am looking for a pb (under 19.11) i really would like to hit 18.xx.

It's sub 19 or bust for me. If we can be on or just behind target at 2k we should be ok. The last 3k is down the fast side of the park. (miles 10-12ish in the half)

menoscemo wrote: »
    It's sub 19 or bust for me. If we can be on or just behind target at 2k we should be ok. The last 3k is down the fast side of the park. (miles 10-12ish in the half)

Did not know over half it was downhill, thats a fast section so perhaps a 3:50km for the first 2k and open up the boosters on the downhill for the last 3k. I will just follow you until 4.5km and then open a gap;)

• Advertisement

Did not know over half it was downhill, thats a fast section so perhaps a 3:50km for the first 2k and open up the boosters on the downhill for the last 3k. I will just follow you until 4.5km and then open a gap;)

Here's the map
    http://www.donoreharriers.com/images/_client_specific/JingleBellsMap2011%281%29.jpg
    Yeah that's pretty much my plan except the last bit of course. We might get our 200m race after all ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm mostly doing the Jingle Bells as a fitness test, so anything around 25 minutes (ie. faster than the crappy 26.0something I ran at the Donore race back in May) and I'd be happy. Going to be a while before I can have a really good crack at things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck with the 5k. Hope all your patience and hard work pays off.

Plan for today was 4 miles easy with 4x80m strides - did a total of 7.03km with the 4 strides at the end, average pace overall 6.11/km, average HR 139 / max 158. Didn't look at the Garmin at all until the start of the strides, just relaxed into the run as much as I could. Would have done this run this morning, but I wanted to watch the mighty Leinster stitch up a bonus point win by half-time :D

A yoga studio near me has a deal where it has (almost) unlimited classes for a month for €55, so I decided to give that a go and started out yesterday with a "Mindful Yoga" class. Great stretchout and rather relaxing. :)

Stomach was being a bit tempremental this evening, so it was nearly 9 before it settled and I got out for my planned run - 4 miles on the schedule today. Took it nice and easy, 6.7km covered, 6.13/km average pace, average HR 139 / max 159.

• Advertisement

Plan for this evening - 1 mile easy, 1 mile @ MP, 1 mile easy, 1 mile @ HMP, 1 mile easy. Took a bit of motivation to get myself out, mostly because I have steak for dinner and I was taking ages to decide whether running or steak would come first. :pac: Anyway. 8km covered, average pace overall 5.53/km, average HR 147 / max 171. Cheated a bit by heading out along the road towards Chapelizod rather than heading up into the park, fewer hills... Felt good anyway, the MP mile felt very controlled at ~5.40/km pace, took the HMP mile at ~5.20/km, naturally a bit tougher but not too bad! Happy with that overall. :)

Trying a Hot Yoga class tomorrow evening, so hoping to get up at a crazy hour of the morning and get the run done before work...

Plan for this evening - 1 mile easy, 1 mile @ MP, 1 mile easy, 1 mile @ HMP, 1 mile easy. Took a bit of motivation to get myself out, mostly because I have steak for dinner and I was taking ages to decide whether running or steak would come first. :pac: Anyway. 8km covered, average pace overall 5.53/km, average HR 147 / max 171. Cheated a bit by heading out along the road towards Chapelizod rather than heading up into the park, fewer hills... Felt good anyway, the MP mile felt very controlled at ~5.40/km pace, took the HMP mile at ~5.20/km, naturally a bit tougher but not too bad! Happy with that overall. :)

Trying a Hot Yoga class tomorrow evening, so hoping to get up at a crazy hour of the morning and get the run done before work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Really glad to see you back out and about properly RK! Great stuff!

Looking forward to your report on the hot yoga - was looking into it in a place beside work there. Very tempted...

Early morning run done, feck everything about going for a run when it's still dark at 7.30am. :pac:

6.8km covered, average pace 6.13/km, average HR 149 / max 166. Was about 3/4 asleep for the first half, and about half asleep for the second half.

Hot yoga this evening. Enjoyed that - hard work and extremely sweaty, but I feel like I've had a really good stretch and I'm really relaxed now. :)

Glad I got out for my run this morning though, the rain this evening :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Hot yoga this evening. Enjoyed that - hard work and extremely sweaty, but I feel like I've had a really good stretch and I'm really relaxed now. :)

Sounds great 49.gif

Garmin battery ran out mid-run today. I hate when that happens... Plan for today was 4 miles easy, did the same 6.8km loop that I've been doing, no idea of pace or HR (obviously). Pretty meh run in general, didn't help that there was a strong headwind into my face for the first half. It's done though now, and that's the main thing. Slightly more interesting session tomorrow...

I was mildly amused though by the amount of layers I saw someone wearing while running in the park - Trinity hoodie, gloves, full-length tights, leg warmers, big wooly hat... and her face did not resemble a tomato in any way, shape or form. Feck sake like, it's 13C, not -13C :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

I was mildly amused though by the amount of layers I saw someone wearing while running in the park - Trinity hoodie, gloves, full-length tights, leg warmers, big wooly hat... and her face did not resemble a tomato in any way, shape or form. Feck sake like, it's 13C, not -13C :p

I always get a good giggle outta people dressed like that in this kind of weather :D

Plan for today - 4 miles easy. Originally planned to do this run this morning, but one look out the window at the wind and rain and I curled up under the covers for another hour. The run ended up not being quite so easy in the end, heard some really worrying news this evening and ended up running relatively hard to try and shut the mind down for a while. 6.8km covered, average pace 5.24/km, average HR 156 / max 178.

Hope you're ok. Nothing like a good run to clear the mind....if only for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Likewise, hope it's nothing too bad.

Great to see you getting back in form.

Planned run for this evening didn't happen because I ended up cycling over to my mam's. 10km uphill into a gale force headwind and lashing rain, it's the stuff Irish misery memoirs are made of...

And a much more pleasant cycle into work this morning (wind behind me and downhill virtually the entire way), apart from discovering that my DS Trainers provide little to no cold protection for my toes!

Missing the hot yoga class I wanted to go to this evening (starts at 7.55 and I won't get over in time) because my letting agent can't tell the difference between 7.00 and 7.40 :mad:

Jingle Bells 5k today. Almost didn't bother getting out of the bed this morning, really wasn't happy about my first night of unbroken sleep in nearly a week being ended by an 8am alarm on a Saturday. Crankiness wasn't helped by being told by stewards at the clubhouse that there wasn't anywhere to store a bag near the startline, leaving my stuff (including my jacket) in the clubhouse, and then going past a baggage van on the way up. The net result of this was major grumpiness and freezing my tits off on the startline. Anyway. Didn't really have a plan for the race, just decided to run by feel - long sleeve over the Garmin and check it at the end. Tried to draft from as many people as I could, thankfully there were a few relatively big guys at a similar pace to me so that did help. It took me until 3km to really settle into the race, and it felt like I'd crossed a mental barrier at that stage because that's where I'd dropped out of the 10k in Dun Laoghaire back in August. Pretty much picked it up from there, and finished in 24:26 - my second fastest 5k ever. Absolutely chuffed with that - 22 seconds off my PB (from this race 2 years ago), my fastest 5k this year by 9 seconds, and takes a rather large dump all over my time from the Donore 5k in May.

If anyone cares, Garmin link

What next? Will do another 5k soon, a flatter course on a good day and I think there's going to have to be a sub-24 attempt. I wasn't dead at the end today, there's more to come - but it has given me a decent indicator of where I'm at, and it bodes well for a third-time-lucky sub-40 attempt at Raheny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Congrats, great run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great stuff RK, you deserved every second of that PB with all the set backs you've had to endure. Roll on 2012.
    I'm doing the Liffey valley on new years day, super course aswell and less numbers. I can see uo setting another PB :D
    Well done

Well done, super effort. That should be a huge confidence boost for you. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

well done rk great run. That was me hollering at you coming up to the finish :)

And back out this morning, for my planned 5 miles. Was back up at de mammy's, so I got a nice reminder about the Firhouse wind tunnel... 8km covered, average pace 5.51/km, average HR 155 / max 172. Legs seem relatively OK after the race, which is a good sign. Wouldn't mind getting to a yoga class tomorrow just to have a nice stretchout though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

and freezing my tits off on the startline..

It's okay, I found them! Will I hold onto them until I see you next or give to Dr Fagan to 'mind' for you? :);)

Advertisement