Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Channel 5 in Ireland?

• 03-04-2011 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if Sky Ireland have channel 5 as part of their basic TV package?

Have looked at the Sky website and it doesn't mention channel 5, but I've heard of Irish viewers being able to watch it, after manually tuning it in or something.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Can anyone tell me if Sky Ireland have channel 5 as part of their basic TV package?

Have looked at the Sky website and it doesn't mention channel 5, but I've heard of Irish viewers being able to watch it, after manually tuning it in or something.

10.773 H 22.0 5/6 You have to view it through 'other channels'-sticky has tuning instructions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Thanks Zerks - don't actually have Sky at the moment, but was thinking of getting it in and after hearing that channel 5 might very well be broadcasting Big Brother this year, has ignited my interest even more.

Don't want to switch to Sky, though, if you have to keep manually tuning it in every time you want to watch; seems like a load of needless hassle to me, given the extra you have to pay for a Sky subscription.

I wonder could you get channel 5 through one of those free to air satellite thingies you install yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Yes you can pick it up with any FTA box or Freesat one! And you are correct, Channel 5 are just on the verge of clinching the deal for Big Brother UK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

zerks wrote: »
    10.773 H 22.0 5/6 You have to view it through 'other channels'-sticky has tuning instructions.

Would you have to manually tune in channel 5 every time you wanted to watch it then, or is there a way of storing it once you've found it?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Would you have to manually tune in channel 5 every time you wanted to watch it then, or is there a way of storing it once you've found it?
    Once it's stored on a Skybox, it appears in "Other Channels" menu.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Don't want to switch to Sky, though, if you have to keep manually tuning it in every time you want to watch; seems like a load of needless hassle to me, given the extra you have to pay for a Sky subscription.

You don't need Sky to view Channel 5. A FTA box and a dish pointing at the right satellite is all you need. No monthly subscriptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

You don't have to manually find it each time you want to watch it- it's stored in other channels BUT you can't record that channel, you also can't see what's coming up on that channel later-the display only shows the programme showing and the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

You don't have to manually find it each time you want to watch it- it's stored in other channels BUT you can't record that channel, you also can't see what's coming up on that channel later-the display only shows the programme showing and the next one.

for some reason not even that gets displayed for Ch 5 - not on my box anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

It all depends on what set-top box you get for watching satellite. Some will even let you have a full 7-day EPG and with lots more channels including all the BBC/ITV/Channel 4 channels, HD simulcasts and you can also record them too. It just depends on how much you're willing to spend and what your viewing requirements are.

My sticky contains the tuning details for Channel 5 if you use a Sky box or a standard FTA receiver, but if you get a Freesat [or Sat4Free?] box, it is tuned in automatically for you with full 7 day guide.

Pity it won't be on the Sky EPG though, as you can't series link programmes on it and that will be a problem for the Big Brother fans who can't watch it live!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bulbs2010

if you press txt on chanell 5 go to page 500 you will get tv guide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

....and after hearing that channel 5 might very well be broadcasting Big Brother this year, has ignited my interest even more.
    I'd have thought that that was as good a reason as any to not watch Channel 5!!!

;)

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Pity it won't be on the Sky EPG though, as you can't series link programmes on it and that will be a problem for the Big Brother fans who can't watch it live!

Any chance that the new owners of CH5 will want to move to the Sky EPG? Or is this something else that TV3 will object to ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I have emails from Channel 5 stating they have no interest is being available in ROI. I can't see why that would change with new owners, it complicates the rights they purchase, adds to the cost of their EPG services to Sky and adds nothing to the bottom line unless they have an Irish version with local ads (also unlikely I think).

JDxtra wrote: »
    I have emails from Channel 5 stating they have no interest is being available in ROI. I can't see why that would change with new owners, it complicates the rights they purchase, adds to the cost of their EPG services to Sky and adds nothing to the bottom line unless they have an Irish version with local ads (also unlikely I think).

Fair enough - wonder how CH4 manage to make it work then ?

They have a tradition of being available in ROI which gives them some momentum. They also have the capacity to setup a separate C4 version for us, have Irish versions for E4 and More 4 and can block programmes when they need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

They have a tradition of being available in ROI which gives them some momentum. They also have the capacity to setup a separate C4 version for us, have Irish versions for E4 and More 4 and can block programmes when they need to.
    Always wondered why they bother doing that, when you can still watch Ch4 via the ''other channels'' option?

greendom wrote: »

All of those ads aimed at us.

blueser wrote: »
    Always wondered why they bother doing that, when you can still watch Ch4 via the ''other channels'' option?

They probably have to to get Channel 4 on the Irish EPG. I'd imagine pretty much all Irish Sky subscribers watch Channel 4 and it's channels through the EPG and the very few blocked programmes wont bother them..

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    All of those ads aimed at us.

They probably have to to get Channel 4 on the Irish EPG. I'd imagine pretty much all Irish Sky subscribers watch Channel 4 and it's channels through the EPG and the very few blocked programmes wont bother them..

But that was only pretty recent wasn't it? And they mainly appear to be for the Northern Irish market rather than ours. Unlike Sky owned channels that have companies targeting customers in the Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

OP, freesat sounds like a better option if you're principally interested in a single programme or strand of programmer. That way you will get an EPG and if you but Freesat+ you can get recording. Frustratingly, C5s add-on channeled (5usa and 5*) are not available on Freesat (nor Irish Sky). Hopefully that will change. It's frustrating as lots of even rubbishier channels are so available.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

greendom wrote: »

Channel 4 have put a clause in their contracts requiring their producers to sell them the rights for the Republic of Ireland as well as the UK for some years now. This effectively covers the majority of the programming other than imports and Hollywood films at this stage.

They buy ROI rights for as much of their imports as is possible. For some, it just isn't possible and therefore on the version of Channel 4 on the Sky Digital EPG in Ireland, certain programmes are blocked.

Channel 4 have since they started had a seperate advertising region for (Northern) Ireland. This was a happy concidence of the ITV companies selling Channel 4's advertising prior to 1993, after 1993 Channel 4 reduced its advertising regions from 15 to 6 but Ulster remained one of them and has remained an option for Irish advertisers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Chloe1243

Does anyone know if you can watch Channel5 on Sky+? :confused:

You can tune it into Other Channels. You wont be able to record it on your Sky+ box though.

Full details can be found on this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520627

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Chloe1243

Okay, thanks. :)

I don't think Channel 5 have ever had any interest in broadcasting here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Karsini wrote: »
    I don't think Channel 5 have ever had any interest in broadcasting here.

true

but they may have an interest in "freesat" if it continues to grow.

Well there is a potential source of revenue in Ireland for CH 5 with phone voting for Big Brother in the summer.

They would need to clear programme rights etc etc

I still think TV3 will bid for the rights to BB. It's something that would appeal to their main audience i.e. tripe for the masses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

pa990 wrote: »
    but they may have an interest in "freesat" if it continues to grow.
    iirc the plan is for them to launch the additional channels on freesat once there is more concentrated beam space available. Later this year I thought was the plan?

I think it's more Sky not being interested in paying for Five for the Irish epg - if they're broadcasting Free To Air, then presumably they'll be paying for RoI rights, as was mentioned earlier regarding channel 4.

Advertisement