Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booting Problems

Options
  • 03-04-2011 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I'm building a pc for the first time and have run into problems getting it to boot.
    My specs are
    Motherboard - ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
    RAM - G Skill RipJaws F3-1200CL7D-4GBRM
    PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W
    CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T

I'm getting no display and 1 long beep and 2 short beeps which according to the manual is a memory problem.
    After checking the manual the ram is not on the QVL (though the CL8D-4BGRM and the CL7D-4BGRH are).
    After checking around a bit it seems G Skill Ram and ASUS motherboards tend not to work well together and quite a few have problems with them.

So a few questions:
    Would the display issues be due to the ram problem?
    Is it possible to get into the BIOS menu without RAM? (most are able to get the ram to work after messing around with settings)
    Is it possible that the problem is due to the sockets on the mobo and is there any way to check if it is?

I don't have access to alternative parts to check if any of these are faulty, I've tried putting one piece of RAM in different slots and removing the mobo from the case and I've removed all other parts until I can get this solved

I'm currently thinking I'll return the ram and exchange it for one on the QVL list not made by GSkill.
    Any advice or possible solutions would be appreciated though.

One other note is that when unplugging the PSU during one of many attempts to get the computer to work i tripped a switch on the fuseboard, the PSU was set to the off position but it seems to take a few seconds to turn off.
    I have a surge protector on the plug but it was cheap and I wouldn't have much faith in it. Theres no visible signs of damage but there is slight smell of burning plastic from the Graphics card
    I had problems before this but i thought it might be relevant.

Advertisement