Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Email from 'Gmail"?

• 03-04-2011 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Got an email from Gmail, to my Gmail account. Seems a bit dodgy to be honest, but then again I am very sceptical.

So, a few days ago, I got a mail from them asking me whether or not my account was active or not, and to reply with only a Yes or a No.

Just now I got this:

Dear Valued User,

Due to the congestion in our Gmail servers,there would be removal of all unused Gmail Accounts.You will have to confirm if your E-mail is still active by filling out your login account below, or your account will be suspended within 7day for security reasons.

Customer ID:
    Password:
    Region:

Your Account Will Not Be Interrupted After Following The Instructions And Your Service Still Continue As Normal. We Apologize For Any Inconveniences.

Thank You For Using Gmail.

- The Gmail Team

Is this right?? They are looking for me to tell them my a/c name and password AND whereabouts I am?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Clearly it's a scam

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

no, it's a phishing email. forward it to gmail.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's definitely not from google or the gmail team. They'd never ask you for those details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Thanks

I was fairly certain but just wanted to be sure.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Buddly

any email like that which requests your login details is fake, especially if they request details via email.

• Advertisement

Okay how do I forward to Gmail though? Probably a very dim question, but...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

There was a guy on Joe Duffy chattin about this scam last week.
    Long story that ended up with 3 of his friends sending a combined amount of €7k to him by western union in Thailand I think . They had receieved a begging email from his account to make it look like he was in bother over there.

Don't know how to forward to Gmail Team though.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

peanuthead wrote: »
    Don't know how to forward to Gmail Team though.

there is a drop down beside reply with report phishing in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

kwalshe wrote: »
    There was a guy on Joe Duffy chattin about this scam last week.
    Long story that ended up with 3 of his friends sending a combined amount of €7k to him by western union in Thailand I think . They had receieved a begging email from his account to make it look like he was in bother over there.

Think it was Peru.

• Advertisement

Thanks

Just did it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Got one today and thought of this thread:

I'm writing this with tears in my eyes.I made a quick trip to United Kingdom on a short vacation unfortunately i got mugged at the park of hotel where i stayed,worse of it was that my bags, cash, cell phone and credit cards were all stolen at GUNPOINT leaving me penniless right now.

It's was a horrible experience for me and i need help flying back home,the authorities are not being 100% supportive but the good thing is that i still have my passport.I need some cash to settle my bills and get on flight back home. please let me know if you can help.

I'm freaked out at the moment..

Neil

sent to all in his address book, I'd assume.
    Now the scammer just sits and waits for his friends to reply...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Yes a friend replied to an email to his hotmail account requesting his username and password to confirm ownership. Unfortunately he replied and the scammer then mass emailed his contacts requesting money for a major operation. Similar distress to the email above. No one replied thank god. I am always puzzled though how people seem to believe emails when if they got a postal letter saying the same thing they'd probably throw it away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

biko wrote: »
    Got one today and thought of this thread:

I'm writing this with tears in my eyes.I made a quick trip to United Kingdom on a short vacation unfortunately i got mugged at the park of hotel where i stayed,worse of it was that my bags, cash, cell phone and credit cards were all stolen at GUNPOINT leaving me penniless right now.

It's was a horrible experience for me and i need help flying back home,the authorities are not being 100% supportive but the good thing is that i still have my passport.I need some cash to settle my bills and get on flight back home. please let me know if you can help.

I'm freaked out at the moment..

Neil

sent to all in his address book, I'd assume.
    Now the scammer just sits and waits for his friends to reply...

My gf's mother had her gmail acc hacked into a few months ago and pretty much the exact same email was sent to everyone in her address book. Some of her friends would be quite old and not aware of scams like these. Thankfully they decided to ring her, rather than replying to the email!

My gf's mother had her gmail acc hacked into a few months ago and pretty much the exact same email was sent to everyone in her address book. Some of her friends would be quite old and not aware of scams like these. Thankfully they decided to ring her, rather than replying to the email!

Haha, I RECEIVED one of those emails from a friend! I knew it was a scam instantly, but didn't know that it was the same thing as the password request. There must be a major epidemic of these at moment

Advertisement