Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new saorview and satellite

• 03-04-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭

we have free to air old cancelled sky box. Great for FTA channels. We miss the Irish channels though and have had to resort to that wonderful invention the rabbits ears..... Now that Saor view is coming on stream, i have a query.. At mo i am changing from satellite to terrestrial by unpluging the magic eye from the back of the ;old; tv and inserting the rabbits ears ,,,not good for the socket at back of tv, i hear you say. We dont have the ariel and i was wondering if there was anything out there to be able to share the wired wall sockets that could be used to share the lead from the ariel and the satellite without having to install an additional cable for saor?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Use this to combine the satellite and terrestrial feed on the one cable - http://www.tvtrade.ie/alltrade-tv-aerial-and-satellite-combiner.html

At the TV use the above combiner in reverse (to split the signal) or this for a tidier installation - http://www.tvtrade.ie/wolsey-tv-aerial-and-satellite-wall-plate.html

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭paulcdub85

The auld tvtrade.ie...you can't beat them! Or can you? anyone no where there's better prices?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

paulcdub85 wrote: »
    The auld tvtrade.ie...you can't beat them! Or can you? anyone no where there's better prices?

I do but they strictly sell to the TRADE only and not to the Public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Trevord

You won't find them much cheaper than that, even on ebay. Wall plates look nice but they can be a bit of a nuisance to wire up. The shielding on the back of the diplxer wall plate can take up quite a bit of space leaving little room in the wall recess to accommodate both the shield and the cable.

Therefore you might also need a spacer plate to give a neat finish. This allows the wall plate to sit about 1cm out from the wall so that it is flush with the spacer plate rather than the wall. This means there is then room for the cable to pass behind the shielding.

See about half way down this page http://www.aerialsandtv.com/onlinecableandmisc.html

Also if the cable in the wall has been left with very little slack (by whoever wired it first day) you might find that its too short to wire up the diplexer plate right side up. You can get around this by installing the diplexer plate upside down but you will probably need to shorten the cable even further to do that (taking care you don't leave it too short!)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭paulcdub85

scaller wrote: »
    I do but they strictly sell to the TRADE only and not to the Public.
    I have a trade account with tvtrade.ie.....I pay my taxes.....if there's somwhere cheaper again I'd be glad to know ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

paulcdub85 wrote: »
    I have a trade account with tvtrade.ie

So you can log in and get trade prices ?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rayjdav

People,

Excuse my total ignorance on this but...

We currently only have a FTA dish mounted on chimney.
    The combiner noted above, does this mean that the coaxial cable that is coming down to the receiver at the TV, if I install one of these gismos, I DONT need to put an aerial as well on the roof?

Basically, as I understand it, Plug this into my wall socket as is, maybe with a small bit of coaxial lead extension added to socket for slack??, then insert both the TV and receiver leads into the output sockets on the combiner??

Or am I totally off the radar here?

Is this available over the counter in general outlets or specific to tvtrade.ie as the missus wants this done yesterday:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

rayjdav wrote: »
    People,

Excuse my total ignorance on this but...

We currently only have a FTA dish mounted on chimney.
    The combiner noted above, does this mean that the coaxial cable that is coming down to the receiver at the TV, if I install one of these gismos, I DONT need to put an aerial as well on the roof?

Basically, as I understand it, Plug this into my wall socket as is, maybe with a small bit of coaxial lead extension added to socket for slack??, then insert both the TV and receiver leads into the output sockets on the combiner??

Or am I totally off the radar here?

Is this available over the counter in general outlets or specific to tvtrade.ie as the missus wants this done yesterday:o

You need the aerial to pick up the saorview signal,the dish is just for satellite reception,best to have a look in the terrestrial forum for answers and help.
    Is your tv saorview compatible? If so simply connect the aerial(pointed at the nearest transmitter) to it and tune in the channels otherwise you need a saorview receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 2009egan

we have free to air old cancelled sky box. Great for FTA channels. We miss the Irish channels though and have had to resort to that wonderful invention the rabbits ears..... Now that Saor view is coming on stream, i have a query.. At mo i am changing from satellite to terrestrial by unpluging the magic eye from the back of the ;old; tv and inserting the rabbits ears ,,,not good for the socket at back of tv, i hear you say. We dont have the ariel and i was wondering if there was anything out there to be able to share the wired wall sockets that could be used to share the lead from the ariel and the satellite without having to install an additional cable for saor?

thanks

if the rabbits ears are working for analouge at the moment then thy will work for saorview, you don't need to replace plugs in tv to switch, plug the aerial into the aerial port on sky box and plug flylead from RF2 to tv then tune all channels into tv.

Advertisement