Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

presure booster

• 03-04-2011 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I need to get water to a water trough at the top of a hill. It is reaching half way so need to boost it. Any thoughts on doing this easily?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

scub wrote: »
    I need to get water to a water trough at the top of a hill. It is reaching half way so need to boost it. Any thoughts on doing this easily?

Reducing the size of the pipe can help, eg. 1" down to 3/4".

• Registered Users Posts: 49 scub

I have tried a 1/2" first, then did a bit of reading and I thought increasing diameter reduced friction and should have improved it. So ran a 1" and at 100 metres I didn't see much improvement. At 100 metres it isn't a constant flow, at 200 metres there isn't anything at all. Gradient is fairly steep.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Move the fence down the hill to the water!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭cjpm

scub wrote: »
    I have tried a 1/2" first, then did a bit of reading and I thought increasing diameter reduced friction and should have improved it. So ran a 1" and at 100 metres I didn't see much improvement. At 100 metres it isn't a constant flow, at 200 metres there isn't anything at all. Gradient is fairly steep.

The pressure set at your pump will drive water to a certain height REGARDLESS of pipe size.

40psi = 2.75 bar = Approx 27.5m head

We put in tanks on higher ground, and had to turn up the pressure at the pump up by 20 psi. Not the ideal solution as all the rest of the system has higher pressures to contend with but it's working for us.

Biggest problem is if theres a leak anywhere now the water pours out at a mighty rate. It aslo costs more to pump all the water to a higher pressure. I'm considering a booster pump for the few higher tanks if i could get my hands on a reasonable one.

However pipe size has a massive effect on flow rates. So where a 3/4 pipe might fill a tank, the flow may be too slow for cattle, and you may need a larger pipe. Forget half inch. No good, not even for driving cattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Can't see how you can do it without putting in a booster pump.
    As said already, if you have some flow, even a trickle, you can improove it by using a larger diameter pipe.If you have no flow at all then increasing the diameter will be of no help.
    Is the pipe over ground. If so, bring the pipe back down the hill until there is some flow. From that pt up to the trough is the extra 'water head' you will need. Every 10m in height of this distance will require an extra 1 Bar of water pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭kay 9

You could install a break tank further up the hill, pump to that then have another pump pumping the rest of the way. Thats how how sky scrapers are done. Maybe a bit sophisticated for agri use but will work. You have the extra expeense of another pump, tank, pipe and cable.

I was hoping it would drip its way up and i'd fill a tank at the top to feed the trough as needed. I was mainly hoping to avoid the booster pump expense if possible.

Kay you aren't too far from what I had considered as an interm solution. I had thought to fill a tank at the mid level and use a portable pump such as the type that can be driven by a drill to pump from there to the next stage. The downside was spending every odd day pumping water manually.

Advertisement