Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some info on Collin's Avenue please

Options
  • 04-04-2011 12:24am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I think I may be moving to Collin's Avenue in Santry soon enough.

Just wondering if ye could tell me what the place is like? Things I should look out for or avoid?

Any advice or info ye have would be great, really don't want to move but it's not looking like I have much choice in the matter.

Thanks
    Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

dannym08 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I think I may be moving to Collin's Avenue in Santry soon enough.

Just wondering if ye could tell me what the place is like? Things I should look out for or avoid?

Any advice or info ye have would be great, really don't want to move but it's not looking like I have much choice in the matter.

Thanks
    Dan

It's quiet enough. A lot of students around because of DCU. Lots of buses into town, close to the Omni Centre, cinema etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

It's quiet enough. A lot of students around because of DCU. Lots of buses into town, close to the Omni Centre, cinema etc.

Thanks for the reply. Students doesn't bother me, I am one myself!

I have heard some horror stories about Santry and the Northside in General tho and I just kind of want to allay those fears - is it as bad as its made out to be?

I have heard some horror stories about Santry and the Northside in General tho and I just kind of want to allay those fears - is it as bad as its made out to be?

Not in my experience. It's close enough to Finglas and Ballymun, but you don't see many scangers around Collins Avenue. Santry isn't too bad either.

That's great thank's for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

its the same on the southside, there is bad and good all over dublin. just keep your wits about you and you will be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Its pretty much a continous road stretching from Finglas to the Howth Road, its very busy traffic wise as it intercepts some of the countries busiest roads and DCU which also means excellent public transport service.
    Ballymun and Finglas in general are nice areas there's only a couple of estates in both areas that are fairly bad but on the whole they're alright same with Santry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

The park at Albert College, just through DCU is beautiful. A great spot to while away your Summer. When I used to live out that way, I was always in that park.

Although, did I hear on here somewhere that it's being dug up or something horrific like that? I haven't been over that way since last Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

cosmic wrote: »
    The park at Albert College, just through DCU is beautiful. A great spot to while away your Summer. When I used to live out that way, I was always in that park.

Although, did I hear on here somewhere that it's being dug up or something horrific like that? I haven't been over that way since last Summer.
    Metro stop beside it I think... but yes, it's a lovely park!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I used to live on Collins Ave, it was grand. Handy for buses to town and that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Horror stories about Santry? Either you're having a laugh or someone was having one at your expense.

• Advertisement

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Horror stories about Santry? Either you're having a laugh or someone was having one at your expense.

I assume I've been had so:o

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭osullic

I lived in Larkhill for four years,its just off collins avenue.Collins avenue is extremely quiet.I never got hassle there.Probably the quietest place I've lived in Dublin.Got more hassle in Ranelagh and Dun Laoghaire to be honest.

osullic wrote: »
    I lived in Larkhill for four years,its just off collins avenue.Collins avenue is extremely quiet.I never got hassle there.Probably the quietest place I've lived in Dublin.Got more hassle in Ranelagh and Dun Laoghaire to be honest.

Thanks for that. The thread has reassured me a lot.
    Thanks guys.

Just another thing, if anyone knows, what would be the average bus time into the City. I'd need to be in there for 10 on two mornings and 11 on others, what time do ye reckon I'd need to leave at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I lived off Collins Avenue when in DCU - very nice area. Not that close to town, but not terribly far either. You'd walk to O'Connell Street in 40 minutes. Very regular buses anyway.
    Give yourself about three quarters of an hour before each start time - to account for traffic and all the stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

The Rimini is a nice chipper beside the bingo hall. although it pales in comparison to the Airport Take Away which is just off collins avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

lived across the road from dcu, very busy road but a quiet community...so quiet it borders boring! but a nice and relatively inexpensive part of town

Thanks for that. The thread has reassured me a lot.
    Thanks guys.

Just another thing, if anyone knows, what would be the average bus time into the City. I'd need to be in there for 10 on two mornings and 11 on others, what time do ye reckon I'd need to leave at?

Buses don't usually take more than 20 minutes into O Connell St. On one side, you've got the 41/a/b, 33, 16/a, and on the other you've got the 11/a, 13,a, 19a and 4, so they come pretty frequently. Not sure if the 11 and 4 are still operating these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

I have heard some horror stories about Santry and the Northside in General

This attitude really annoys me. Head to Griffith Ave, Clontarf, Sutton, Howth, Malahide, Drumcondra along with parts of Beaumont, Artane, Raheny and tell me they're kips!

Sure Tallaght, Crumlin, Ballyfermot, Clondalkin, Fatima Mansions, Rialto etc are on the southside. I'm sure you'll find some horror stories there.

TheTwiz wrote: »
    This attitude really annoys me.

Fair enough. But you do realize the hypocracy of the above point in relation to what you've said below, right?!
    TheTwiz wrote: »
    Sure Tallaght, Crumlin, Ballyfermot, Clondalkin, Fatima Mansions, Rialto etc are on the southside. I'm sure you'll find some horror stories there.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

<p>
    cosmic wrote: »
    Fair enough. But you do realize the hypocracy of the above point in relation to what you've said below, right?!</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p> </p>
    <p> </p>
    <p><a href="{smilies}/rolleyes.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)" smilieid="8" class="inlineimg" /><a href="{smilies}/rolleyes.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)" smilieid="8" class="inlineimg" /><a href="{smilies}/rolleyes.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)" smilieid="8" class="inlineimg" />
    </p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Not really as the op was implying that the whole of the northside is meant to be a dive when that clearly isn't the case. I in return told her some very very nice areas of north Dublin, which are some of the most afflluent in the country, I also pointed out some absolute horror areas of south Dublin as the OP has probably bought into the northside southside stereotype. I don't see the hypocrisy in that</p>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭rokossovsky

Well if you cant afford the rents where you are at the minute (mullah - student there fore likely in Rathmines) you could always try an alternative south side address and avoid the urban warfare on the Northside. Try Drimnagh, Crumlin, Gallenstown, Meath street area, Ringsend Irishtown or even Tallaght.
    Funny, Ive heard horror stories from Kildare too. Get out of it ye Lillywhite cnut.

Well if you cant afford the rents where you are at the minute (mullah - student there fore likely in Rathmines) you could always try an alternative south side address and avoid the urban warfare on the Northside. Try Drimnagh, Crumlin, Gallenstown, Meath street area, Ringsend Irishtown or even Tallaght.
    Funny, Ive heard horror stories from Kildare too. Get out of it ye Lillywhite cnut.

I concur. I hear those southside areas are lovely leafy suburbs. The media would have you believe there isn't a bad area of south Dublin

Get out of it ye Lillywhite cnut.

Don't agree with that line by the way. Not a nice way to welcome someone to our city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Get out of it ye Lillywhite cnut.

banned

I appear to have sparked some emotions!!

Just to clarify a couple of things, a friend of mine who used to live in Santry said, in his words "it's a kip". Now, I know that Irish people tend to run down where they live, no matter where it is or how nice it is, so I was just seeing what other people's opinions of the area was. I would be stupid not to check out where I was moving to, in fairness. I never said that I thought the area was bad, just that I had heard things, which I wanted verified or dismissed. It seems they have been dismissed.

Your not wrong, Kildare does have bad parts, so you can understand why I wouldn't want to move to another bad part.

Oh and also, I was actually born in Dublin (all be it in the Southside) and moved to Kildare when I was 4. So I resent the lillywhite part of the comment.
    Don't agree with that line by the way. Not a nice way to welcome someone to our city

Thank you, I didn't mean to offend you, or anyone else, was just, as I said, checking out what I had been told by a friend

bc dub wrote: »
    The Rimini is a nice chipper beside the bingo hall. although it pales in comparison to the Airport Take Away which is just off collins avenue.

Oh, and a few doors up from the Rimini is Shay's Costcutter. It's a convenience store that has some really great bargains on groceries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

What the others have posted is true.
    Very quiet apart from the students as it's an old enough area concerning residents. Shouldn't have any hassle really but as everywhere there can be one or two bad apples even if just passing by. Just be on your guard.

Airport take away is lovely, can take time but that just shows it's fresh. Viscount pub is nice for an auld scoop or two. Can be quiet at times also.

Buses are quite frequent across from the Airport Take Away.
    3, 16/a, 33, 41a,b,c. All very regular into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I grew up on Griffith Ave, and had plenty of friends in the Collins Ave/Santry area - really nice place to live, very settled. I remember the Rimini chipper, they used to do really tasty potato fritters for about 20p (old money!)

And to balance it we moved to the Southside (D6) when I was in late teens. The amount of shiiite I had to put up with from my new neighbours and friends telling them where I used to live!

Since then I have lived in the city centre, west, south west and South County Dublin (very posh, almost too posh)

And the only place I was burgled was in South County Dublin!!

Advertisement