Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graphics card

Options
  • 04-04-2011 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

!warning! Im not very good with computers:D
    i need to set up two monitors on my computer, its pretty old windows xp(vga conection) i think, i was told to get a graphics card to extend the screen
    - anyone know where best place to get them (shop or online)
    - are they easy to install
    - how much? i dont need anything fancy just the screen to be extended onto another monitor

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

will you be playing games?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lessthen50p

no, its just for poker

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Then virtually any card will do. I actually can't think of any graphics card that doesn't have two connections. Odds are though that it'll be one VGA connection, and one DVI connection, so you'll need an adapter if one doesn't come with the card (in most cases they do).

Take this for example:
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/zotac-geforce-8400gs-512mb-pci-express-dvi-low-profile-7479.html

One DVI, one VGA, one HDMI. I'm sure you can get two monitors to work pretty nicely.

Note that when you're adding a new graphics card, you'll need to uninstall your drivers for the current card, take out the old, insert the new, then install drivers for the new one. They are these:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-266.58-whql-driver.html

I'm not sure what you're running at present, and to be honest I can't remember XP that well, so I can't tell you exactly how to uninstall your drivers, but your current graphics card would be a good thing to know to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

If you're running an older system you need to check whether your motherboard has a PCI-e x16 lane or an older AGP lane and buy a graphics card accordingly. What make and model PC do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Anyone know where I can get cheaper than that Dabs one? Even second hand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Yeah tried already, couldn't find anything suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

After literally six seconds of searching:

http://www.adverts.ie/hardware/graphic-cards/496671

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

Graphics: 512MB DDR2 NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (753MB Overclocked)

it has Vga, DVI, and HDMI connection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

My sony vaio Notebook
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD 5145 1GB

VGA, DVI, HDMI

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Both posts above completely off topic, but just FYI the 8600 is only about 5% slower.

• Advertisement
Advertisement