Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of opening a vegan restaurant

Options
  • 04-04-2011 3:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi guys

I've been vegan a couple of years and noticed there is no entirely vegan restaurant in Ireland. I know there are vegetarian restaurants like juice and govindas already but this would be entirely vegan, no fish, meat, dairy, eggs, animal products, used at all.

It would have a good selection of rice/noodle/tofu/vegetable/curry dishes available and salads/breads/soups/onion bhajis/etc for starters.

Anyway I was just wondering would such a concept be feasible at the moment in Dublin city or suburbs. I know vegetarians/vegans would frequent the place but they only make up 10% of the population as far as I know. It would have to be also marketed at health conscious non-vegetarians and people who like natural healthy eating.

Any thoughts or opinions ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

My only advice to get more people in is to also try to make some of the dishes gluten / yeast / sugar free etc to entice those with allergy problems. It's not too big of a deal with veggie / vegan food afaik and most of the current cafe's already do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I really would love if this happened, but I doubt that it is feasible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I would love if this happened and would definitely support it. Really can't say how successful it would be. Any time I'm in juice the place is mostly empty :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Any time I'm in juice the place is mostly empty :/
    On the other hand, Cornucopia is always packed :)

This probably isn't the best place to ask this OP, since as you say many of us on this forum would probably end up being regulars (I know I've been crying out for a vegan restaurant and I really hope you do open a place!)

I don't know if there's a business-type forum on here, but maybe try the food and drink forum (this one's parent forum) to get more diversity of opinion?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Serendipity99

Exactly! If places like Cornucopia are always packed then why not your new place, OP. Its all down to presentation, good food, good service, ambience, etc. Go for it! Fantastic idea.

(I've even been thinking myself about writing to the 'Loving Hut' vegan restaurant chain to ask them if they'd like to set up here...)

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭vaalea

http://www.kickstarter.com/ search vegan here for maybe some ideas. http://www.ecoasiscafe.com/2.html http://www.google.com/search?q=Community-supported+restaurants
    community-supported restaurants.. something to consider if you are serious about it. :)

Breezer wrote: »
    On the other hand, Cornucopia is always packed :)

That is true, Juice probably don't run a very good business and I've had a few disappointments there like something missing ingredients it is supposed to have etc. If it is run to a high standard no reason why it shouldnt work.

one thing Dublin doesn't have is a pay-by-weight... we have a couple very popular in Ottawa http://www.thetablerestaurant.com/about_us.html .... then there was Whole Foods in London... mmmmmmmm

vaalea wrote: »
    one thing Dublin doesn't have is a pay-by-weight... we have a couple very popular in Ottawa http://www.thetablerestaurant.com/about_us.html .... then there was Whole Foods in London... mmmmmmmm

Some places definitely do for instance the canteen at the top of Debenhams and it does not work coz it's a complete rip-off, can't imagine that being a good idea in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Debenhams...rip-off
    There's your problem ;)

</OT>

• Advertisement

Breezer wrote: »
    There's your problem ;)

</OT>

In Dublin I can't imagine somewhere not trying to rip you off, I wanna know what I'm gona be paying for something before I get it. I wouldnt call Debenhams a rip-off either, pretty standard, quite cheap breakfast etc.

That is true, Juice probably don't run a very good business and I've had a few disappointments there like something missing ingredients it is supposed to have etc. If it is run to a high standard no reason why it shouldnt work.

I like everything about Juice....apart from the food! Location, service, presentation is all good but the food itself is more often than not just tasteless, or at least it was the last few times I've been there. It just doesn't live up to what I would expect, especially for the price they charge.

There is a market for a good, high(er) end, sit-down restaurant in Dublin imo, if it's done right, it will be successful.

Absurdum wrote: »
    I like everything about Juice....apart from the food! Location, service, presentation is all good but the food itself is more often than not just tasteless, or at least it was the last few times I've been there. It just doesn't live up to what I would expect, especially for the price they charge.

There is a market for a good, high(er) end, sit-down restaurant in Dublin imo, if it's done right, it will be successful.

I like all those things too, the service is pretty good come to think of it, you'd never have to wait for the waiter to top up your water etc.

The €15 deal is very good for 3 courses and I loved it at first but really hated some of the food I tried on later occasions, for one of our mains it was like they had mixed up 2 different dishes from the menu and there was a bit of the ingredients from both :/ Last time I was there the same dessert I got before was at least half the size smaller than when I got it the first time. Little inconsistencies like that'll get to you :P
    I'd go again for sure but I'd know better what to get now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It really put me off last time, I was so impressed with it the first time and they were a joke then, halving the dessert because 2 people ordered it?! Not giving me what I asked for etc. And their starters are bad, but sound good. The pancake thing is a joke. I suppose bruchetta is bruchetta but even clerys gave me one ten times better than that. The first main I had was nice, but anybody could make that, basically kidney beans and potatoey stew thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 AVL5

I just wanted to mention that actually there is a 100% vegan (raw food) restaurant in Ireland. It doesn't seem to be well known, so I am copying the link below. It's the Healthy Habits Cafe in Wicklow Town. I haven't been there yet, but I've tried some of their desserts at a couple of events.

http://www.theservantsoflove.com/cafe.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

The main problem as a few of the other posters said is getting the non-vegan/vegetarian punters through the door - not the easiest thing to do in a country where exotic food means adding pineapple to everything (I'm joking we aren't quite that bad!) There are exceptions - Cafe Paradiso in Cork being one if the best and busiest restaurants in the country for example.

I went to this place a lot last summer when on holidays http://www.napfenyesetterem.hu/english in Budapest - they didn't seem to have any problem getting the meaters in judging by reviews. Their success seems to be based on good food, large portions, and cost effectiveness - if you can get the balance of those three right together with a convivial atmosphere and good helpful friendly staff, then you'll be on to a winner.

Another thing to consider in trying to get meaters in is to avoid being too vegan extreme - some tofu, seitan and bean type dishes but also more middle of the road stuff for the reluctant other halves of vegans would be a better enticement.

Best of luck with the endeavor - if you get it off the ground post an invite and I'm sure all the boardsies will call around to support you; it might even become a regular meet (excuse pun) up haunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Petite Treats

A vegan restaurant in Dublin would be heaven!!!

I think somewhere upscale that would appeal to both vegan and non vegan is especially needed. Candle 79 in NY is a place that comes to mind or even Herbivore in San Fran which is more casual. OR - something completely different - have a look at Cocoa V in NY - it's fab place where you can get great wine, cheese plate, desserts, coffee (Dr. Cow cheese) and chocolates and truffles.....am getting hungry now mmm I miss New York!

A vegan restaurant in Dublin would be heaven!!!

I think somewhere upscale that would appeal to both vegan and non vegan is especially needed. Candle 79 in NY is a place that comes to mind or even Herbivore in San Fran which is more casual. OR - something completely different - have a look at Cocoa V in NY - it's fab place where you can get great wine, cheese plate, desserts, coffee (Dr. Cow cheese) and chocolates and truffles.....am getting hungry now mmm I miss New York!

That's what I would like too, definitely upmarket. A load of hippies and crusties would put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

The main problem as a few of the other posters said is getting the non-vegan/vegetarian punters through the door - not the easiest thing to do in a country where exotic food means adding pineapple to everything (I'm joking we aren't quite that bad!) There are exceptions - Cafe Paradiso in Cork being one if the best and busiest restaurants in the country for example.

The first rule of running a vegan restaurant - don't mention the word 'vegan'.

The second rule of running a vegan restaurant - don't mention the word 'vegan'!!!

Vegans only represent a very small proportion of the population, so by calling yours 'Something Something Vegan Restaurant' you've immediately lost 99.9% of all potential customers. Is this a reflection of Ireland's lack of cosmopolitanism, maybe, but that's another issue.

A far better approach, in my opinion, is to avoid mentioning the word vegan at all, but to get the customers into your establishment, and let them see and smell the wonderful food on offer. It's only after they've decided to buy that they realise that this isn't the usual 'meat and two veg' kind of place, they'll be surprised by the quality and taste on offer, and hopefully they'll be back for more.

Also, subtley talk up the health benefits of vegan food, but avoid mentioning the animal welfare benefits. I know that this may be your primary motivation, but people want to feel good about themselves, not talked down to.

Did I mention that you ought not mention the word 'vegan'?

Neuro wrote: »
    Did I mention that you ought not mention the word 'vegan'?

BUT Don't forget to advertise it to the vegans, and assure them it is all vegan!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement