Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WrestleMania aftermath

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

flahavaj wrote: »
    Because I'd love to taste the bitter bitter tears of his hatorz on very message board on the internet.

aye, t'would be funny but as far as the business is concerned it wouldnt be a good move. its a ready made massively over push for whoever can do it and especially now that HHH has made taker look completely boris-from-goldeneye-esque invincible at WM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Because I'd love to taste the bitter bitter tears of his hatorz on very message board on the internet.

ha ha ha. I got a bit of a wrong-impulse wanting HHH to end the streak last night just to see the internet blow up :p

I imagine that anyone who actually beats Taker, it'll be "Taker lost" moreso than "this guy won"....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Jazzy wrote: »
    aye, t'would be funny but as far as the business is concerned it wouldnt be a good move. its a ready made massively over push for whoever can do it and especially now that HHH has made taker look completely boris-from-goldeneye-esque invincible at WM.

It can only be Cena as he's the only star legitimately big enough in the fans' eyes to do so. If someone like Punk (who would deserve it don't get me wrong) or Miz did it with the pushes they've gotten in their careers it'd just be regarded as a fluke. But if Cena did it it'd be a proper passing of the torch, up there with Hogan/Andre or Austin/Hart in terms of seminal WM moments. It has to happen, otherwise the streak will have been a pure wate of 20 years of build and storylines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Charisteas wrote: »
    Yeah Punk does. But Orton may turn around and say "screw you Punk, I beat you and took out all your Nexus members, now I want a shot at Miz's title".

I think the feud is over as already said above Orton took out all the Nexus members and beat Punk at Mania, what is left? I hope Orton goes to SD in the draft and Punk gets a WWE title shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Cole vs King was great,King beat the hell out of him and Cole still got away,Taker vs HHH was match of the night but ruined by the confusing ending,letdwon of the night no Sheamus and Snookie didn't get beat up,everyone here knew that the Rock was going to have a showdown with Mae Young:(, good show on the night but not even in the top twenty overall out of the previous ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Punk had a go at Angle on twitter. Angle's rant at Mania reminds me of when Jericho drunkenly had a go at UFC fighters saying they'd never do what he does(I assume that he means Wrestling & not dancing,writing or being in Fozzy).Pity Angle didn't bother judging Mania it wouldn't be hard to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

One of the most annoying parts of last night was the pointless reversal of the decision in the Cole/Lawler match by the laptop GM. This could have easily been delayed until tonights Raw and still achieved the same result without ruining the Kings big WM moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

GTR63 wrote: »
    WWE should probably rehire Angle to take on Taker next year.It'd be a great match(yeah its happened before but Taker has wrestled Everyone in WWE).It'd be a great technical match unlike asking Taker to carry the workload against a Barrett or Cena.

I think it should be Cody Rhodes... Yeah hear me out first :D.

He can hold his own in a match so is not going to have to be carried. Through the year build him up as the demonic character (I would only like it to happen if he keeps up this demonic character) but have him do old Taker. Say things like "I believe the only way to beat you is to do what you have done to every other wrestler and get in your head." Then have him kidnap Michelle McCool or some actress and say its Taker's wife ala DDP with Sara. Possibly even have Brothers of Destruction reunite, and Kane end up in a blood bath, or on a crucifix (Never happen hence why I mentioned Blood Bath first).
    Basically make it look like Taker is just as worried about Rhodes as Rhodes is about Taker.

Also you get to have a slight run through of Takers career, and then have him retire. Have Cody bury him at Wrestlemania never to come back or have Taker come out on Smackdown and retire.

I think it would be class. Never ever ever happen but would be good :D

Oh and I was hoping/praying that when the people came down for Taker, they would be either whitecoats (Although I think that was Kane) or Druids.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

^^ PG Era!

Cody is great though.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    ^^ PG Era!

Cody is great though.

They could get away with it though. I think Cody was the only one to get a good rub at Mania.

• Advertisement

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    They could get away with it though. I think Cody was the only one to get a good rub at Mania.

I thought he was brilliant.

Second only to CM Punk

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭baldstuffandy

Taker is never gonna be beaten at Wrestlemania, the streak is defining Undertaker over the last few years.They cant take it away from him as he has only won the WWE Championship / World Title 7 times. The Streak is his Championship. And if you think about it WWE values it (streak) as much as a championship look at the closing match to mania last year... He will go to 21-0 and hang up his hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I just watched one of my favourite Wrestlemanias, 8, to get over the disappointment of 27.

In the poll I voted average, which is what it was, and average should never be a word you associate with the showpiece event of any sport/entertainment/ whatever you want to call it.

That stupid gameshow-esque intro for The Rock at the very start was all it took for me to think, 'Aaagh no, they're gonna make a ****in mess of this...' and for the most part that's exactly what they did.

Starting with Edge/Del Rio was arguably the worst f**k up of the lot, it devalued Smackdown AND the Rumble and if Del Rio fades into insignificance over the coming months it will further prove in my mind how retarded the writers are.

Leaving Seamus/Danielson off the card and only having the Corre (disregarding the fact that I think the 4 of them are ****e) feature in a 4 minute spot-filled squash match does very little to suggest they are the future of the business, or maybe Hunter just feels everyone should go thru what Warrior did to him.

For me, HHH and Undertaker was disappointing but I do have a feeling that wasn't the intended ending. There had to be an injury to Taker but that said.. if the use of the gogoplata is supposed to appeal to MMA fans you're never gonna get away with such a blatantly false half arsed attempt as that. The fact that Hunter basically beat him until there wasn't any chance he could believably win the match he had to at least make the submission hold look convincing, his lame attempt ruined it for me to be honest.

I'm not even gonna go into how **** the entire main event was.

The sad fact is that if the tools at TNA can't come up with viable competition to this then it's a bad state of affairs for wrestling in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

2ndcoming wrote: »
    That stupid gameshow-esque intro for The Rock at the very start was all it took for me to think, 'Aaagh no, they're gonna make a ****in mess of this...'

thank you!!
    I was trying to put my finger on what it seemed like since last night. :D

My brother reckons after not winning the World Title last night Del Rio will be drafted to Raw i'd rather him stay on Smackdown going to Raw could be make or break for him.

GTR63 wrote: »
    My brother reckons after not winning the World Title last night Del Rio will be drafted to Raw i'd rather him stay on Smackdown going to Raw could be make or break for him.

I still cant figure out why they had Edge and Christian destroy Del Rio's car last night, seemed a bit stupid having two faces doing that... And an awful waste of a beautiful car..

2ndcoming wrote: »
    The sad fact is that if the tools at TNA can't come up with viable competition to this then it's a bad state of affairs for wrestling in general.

Thats what sickens me Tna just wants to be Robin to WWE's Batman.If they offered anything that was different it'd be something but they just hire their cast offs & try to re-live the Mid 90's with Flair,Hogan & Bitchoff. The wwe writers & bookers may suck at the moment but they are the guys tna aspire to be.

Taker is never gonna be beaten at Wrestlemania, the streak is defining Undertaker over the last few years.They cant take it away from him as he has only won the WWE Championship / World Title 7 times. The Streak is his Championship. And if you think about it WWE values it (streak) as much as a championship look at the closing match to mania last year... He will go to 21-0 and hang up his hat.

The idea with championships though is that the great champions pass them to the next generation on the way out. The streak should be no different.

The idea with championships though is that the great champions pass them to the next generation on the way out. The streak should be no different.

I really hope he does lose it. It means nothing to him when retired, but it could be the most massive rub for some young heel.

Oh and is that the 1st ever Wrestlemania to not have a title change hands? Must be one of the 1st anyway.

Anyone else notice the double bell ring at the start of the Cena Miz match, I think it was. As soon as that happened I had a whole scenario wrote out that Cena wins, then The Rock comes down says that the match never officially started due to the bell ringing twice, he shows the clip, demands the match to restart and then basically helps Miz win. Would have been better than a double count out, equally crumby but it would have been good I think.

• Advertisement

i do know where your coming from. but if the streak ended that would be it.. the guy who defeated taker wouldn't be able to carry it on..i cant see him going on for much longer though, the endings to his mania matches are getting slightly predictable, and i dont think we will be seeing him for a long long time either.

i do know where your coming from. but if the streak ended that would be it.. the guy who defeated taker wouldn't be able to carry it on..i cant see him going on for much longer though, the endings to his mania matches are getting slightly predictable, and i dont think we will be seeing him for a long long time either.

If the endings to his matches are getting predictable then there's a very good solution - change it!

Onbviouslt the guy who beats him can't carry the streak on but he gets a rub that winning ten titles. Taker can't take the streak to the grave so to speak the only person it nakes look good id him. On this way out the door he has the chance to elevate someone into the stratosphere. It's be a shame to pass up a chance like this that only comes along once.

If the endings to his matches are getting predictable then there's a very good solution - change it!

Onbviouslt the guy who beats him can't carry the streak on but he gets a rub that winning ten titles. Taker can't take the streak to the grave so to speak the only person it nakes look good id him. On this way out the door he has the chance to elevate someone into the stratosphere. It's be a shame to pass up a chance like this that only comes along once.

we could go on about this for days, but trust me.. there never gonna have taker lose at wrestlemania..

Flah isn't saying they will. He is just hoping that they do. I think they should as well. I don't think they will though as I am sure they can see the big dollar signs on an Undertaker Streak DVD release.

I would like him to lose it next year at Mania, so he is that 1 off making it 20. Or even giving him the 20th and have him lose the next one. But he should lose it next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Was he (undertaker) legit hurt after that ? Sure looked it given how it ended :confused:

Don't think so, I reckon he was hurt but no more than normal for him. That as said in the other thread is just to write him till October or so. Also to put HHH over and the promos before the match.

One of the surprises of the night for me was Takers new song. Ain't no grave by Johnny Cash, I love that song and to see it for Taker was just perfect as it suits his character so well, as if they were written for each other. I don't even like the Undertaker but that song nearly had me cheering for him :D

• Advertisement

Oh and for anyone that didn't see it or just want to see it again. I thought this promo video for the Miz was amazing, so simple yet so effective.

Reganio 2 wrote: »

Love the Music its Frank Mir's walkout Music in UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ari gold24

Loved both entrances,read how people here didnt like Cena's but seeminly it was based on the church culture in Atlanta.

Similar to WM22 with the mafia theme in Chicago and the Ford Mustang entrance in Detroit for WM23,very clever imo if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I don' see Taker missing for long unless he was legit injured. He's just back from a layoff. Whenever he took a break after Mania before, it was because he had worked the months previous to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Well boys, the Streak begins!

Cole 1-0.

• Advertisement

Source

The following are some new tweets from the official Twitter page of WWE Superstar Randy Orton:
    "Everythings been done before as far as 'moves' go in the sports entertainment. I want to thank SCSA for the 'Thesz Press'."
    "And I know for a fact that SCSA got the 'Thesz Press' from Dutch Mantel."
    "Point being, instead of taking offense to someone using your move, consider it a sign of respect."
    "Btw does anyone know what Ken Shamrocks finish was? I believe Jack Swagger used ankle lock outta respect for Ken?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Source

The following are some new tweets from the official Twitter page of WWE Superstar Randy Orton:
    "Everythings been done before as far as 'moves' go in the sports entertainment. I want to thank SCSA for the 'Thesz Press'."
    "And I know for a fact that SCSA got the 'Thesz Press' from Dutch Mantel."
    "Point being, instead of taking offense to someone using your move, consider it a sign of respect."
    "Btw does anyone know what Ken Shamrocks finish was? I believe Jack Swagger used ankle lock outta respect for Ken?"

Atta boy Randall, stick it to Angle!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i might just be starting to like Randall :D

Angle should just be ignored.

he's obviously still feeling hurt and used by the WWE, and feels like acting out. it's like the girl with pigtails you used to try to push over in Primary School because you actually fancied her.

plus, he's a relentless mark for himself. anything he says about himself must be taken with a large chunk of salt.

Finally got round to watching Mania and the opening match for the WHC title was good but short. I was surprised this match was first and that Edge retained and why was Christian and Clay in ring attire, were they wrestling in a dark match? :confused:

Cody V Rey was very good as was Punk V Orton only disappointed Orton won. Is Orton's injury legit or kayfabe?

I couldnt care less about the Corre match or Snooki's match - Ziggler and Morrison were wasted. Did Trish and McTool botch a few moves in the match?

As for Cole V Lawler, I'm annoyed that Cole didnt get a stunner what was the point in Austin stunning Booker and Matthews :confused: Cole was the one person I couldnt wait to see get his comeuppance and then the bloody anonymous Raw GM awards the win to Cole who looked like a right tool in his ring attire and were those tattoos real?

HHH V Taker was very good but this was mainly down to HHH imo as Mr.Nice Guy said in a previous post HHH sold the story brillantly last night. As for the end with Taker, I actually thought he was legit injuried, I thought HHH even looked worried for him at one point. I was expecting HBK to show up at some stage.

The main event between Cena and Miz was awful one of the worst Mania main events ever imo, the crowd was dead for it and we all know Rock was coming at some stage so that wasnt a shocker. Again was why Riley in ring attire and with that damn briefcase :confused: I would like to have seen some interaction backstage between Rock, Cena and Miz.

I have preferred to have seen a MITB match with the winner cashing in and beating Miz at the end of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

My highlights for mania

1) when stone cold nearly killed Jack Swagger with a quad bike

2) when the rock said to a laptop "IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT YOU THINK!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

ari gold24 wrote: »
    Loved both entrances,read how people here didnt like Cena's but seeminly it was based on the church culture in Atlanta.

Similar to WM22 with the mafia theme in Chicago and the Ford Mustang entrance in Detroit for WM23,very clever imo if true.

That's how I saw it, he did a marching band one as well before that was to do with the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Setting up a smarks wet dream for Mania next year though, Angle v Orton :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Setting up a smarks wet dream for Mania next year though, Angle v Orton :pac:

Announced next week and built up by using twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Is it me did John Cena look a little off during his match with Miz. I mean he didn't look like he put much effort into the match at all. I know the match was awful but Cena just looked out of place almost as if he was unhappy or something. Miz at least looked like he tried to make an effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 niallmaher

the show was average. some good matches some bad.

they are really playing up that the undertaker is nearing the end of his career. I guess 20 and 0 and calling it a day would be fitting. but whos next?
    HHH rematch would be a summerslam thing, the match wasnt nearly as good as the HBK ones and not worth another mania slot and definitely not for takers final match IMO.
    let him go out with a bang, make a impact other then beating another guy. my stupid almost fan fiction idea for takers final match would be with Vince. have a build up where vince is going crazy with power. firing anyone who even looks at him funny and anyone who tries and stop him from being all evil. around no way out time we get to a situation where its "who has the guts to stop the boss?" then the lights go out and the gong hits....
    Vince is nearly 70. the dude have gotta retire from running the shows full time soon. flying all over the US every few days is gotta be tiring when your that old.
    then again I expect him to around calling the shots until atleast mania 30. if not longer.

but at least it didn't end with the rock and Cena hugging at the end which was my fear all along. but hey gotta save something for next year? :pac:

a bit silly that we have a year build up to a match that The Rock wont and shouldn't win. this is his Hogan-rock moment to pass the touch and blah.... god damn it. :( hey atleast this means the rock will be popping by raw every few weeks.... right? I mean they way raw ending last night is perfect for the old "worst of enemy's team up to fight the other bad guys" angle that cena gets in with every feud that last longer then a month.

• Advertisement

niallmaher wrote: »
    hey atleast this means the rock will be popping by raw every few weeks.... right? I mean they way raw ending last night is perfect for the old "worst of enemy's team up to fight the other bad guys" angle that cena gets in with every feud that last longer then a month.

He won't appear every few weeks. Might not see him for several months and I wouldn't be surprised if he only made one or no appearance at all before Rumble/Mania season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

surely it will be undertakers last match at WM next year? think they shoulda got the Rock to face him..... Sting would be epic also. Cant see anyone else worthy off a final match with him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

He won't appear every few weeks. Might not see him for several months and I wouldn't be surprised if he only made one or no appearance at all before Rumble/Mania season.

I would say the next time we see him will be at the Rumble where he'll throw Cena out of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Think we'll see Taker and HHH at Summerslam and ála Orton a few years back, HHH will get his win. Not sure what they'll do at Mania seeing that Cena was his most likely opponant. ATM Lesnar or Sting are possibilities, i don't think there's anyone over enough on the roster to plausibly beat him apart from Cena.

I would say the next time we see him will be at the Rumble where he'll throw Cena out of it...

I don't see the point in Cena being in the Rumble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not sure how long this will last but here's fan footage of Sheamus vs Bryan:

Looked like it was a good little match they were having. Shame how it was handled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just watched and thought it was average.

First two matches were the best of the night. By a long shot. Downhill from there really.

HHH Taker a classic? Really? It was not bad, is it a watch again? No. It had a good story and great psychology, but the match itslef was nothing special. I think people want to think it was another Taker classic, but it was not. Watch it again and you will see that.

I fast forwarded the 4 man tag, the Cole Lawler match and the intergender. Cannot imagine I missed anything.

As for the main event. It was going quite well until the absolute clusterfúck of an ending. What were they thinking? If an episode of Raw ended like that you would understand, but for the biggest show of the year? Rubbish.

I really enjoyed Edge and Del Rio. Match of the night by some distance.

I also enjoyed Punk Vs Orton, but again, it was missing something.

Would I watch this show again? No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Analysis of a former die-hard fan to a now twice-a-year man (Rumble & Mania)...
    My overall feel of the show was that it was a glorified 4hr edition of Monday Night Raw. They played it very safe and there were some serious mistakes.
    First off, The Rock wore a tracksuit at WrestleMania. Gone are the days when everyone not wrestling was in their very best tux or evening gown respectively on the night. I was stunned to see him wear that. I was expecting one of his legendary shirts from his Attitude era days. Not good for the alleged 'host' of WrestleMania.

The World Championship match first? It just speaks 'We dont care about this belt' or 'Smackdown is the lesser brand'. The match itself was solid but Del Rio is not a star. Hes a mid-carder. He does not want to make me tune into Smackdown. And I think hes quite likeable actually - hes not a heel. The stunt at the end where the keyd the Rolls was awful. The screeech of metal on metal is horrible. E & C just looked like a couple of tennage punks wrecking a neighbours fancy car. If they wanted to wreck the car they should have drove it off the stage or something spectacular - I think they used to call it a Mania moment.

No tag-team championship on the card? Gone are the days of E&C, Hardys, Acolytes et al. They really dont care about the tag-team division anymore.

The mask match was pathetic. Not for a second did I believe Cody Rhodes was disfigured. A toilet break match.

Punk v Orton was good - good storyline going into, with it being a revenge mission two years in the making and all. That was a Mania match alright but its hard to buy Orton as a menacing face. I think he was at his best when he was a cocky heel. Not to mention he has obviously been on a 'diet' in the last few years - hes at least 20lbs lighter that in 2005.

HHH v Taker was also good but incredibly slow. Looked like Taker made a mess of that submission move. Is HHHs head not supposed to be locked in bewteen his legs. Didnt look like it.
    Its hard to believe that the two men who fought ten years earlier at the same event would be back to do it one more time. Highlights the lack of firepower in the main event in WWE.

Finally, I thought I was watching the main event of Raw when looking at Cena v Miz. Where do I start: Miz is too babyfaced looking to be the companys top heel. He doesnt command respect. Hes not big enough either. John Cena was booed out of the building yet Miz wasnt super over as,say, Rock or HBK would have been in the same situation.
    The commentary was atrocious - the two men didnt have an excited tone of voice at all and sounded indifferent all through the match.
    We all know what Cena is at this stage and, to be honest, hes the reason I stopped watching WWE. He isnt Hulk Hogan but hes constantly in the same position at Mania that Hogan was - ie the Main Event. Its time for a heel turn if hes going to get over with the 12-30year old males.
    But, despite the two mens shortcomings, what Creative let Rock do to them at the end was unforgivable. To bury the top two guys in the company at the moment at WrestleManias main event, without response, was jaw dropping. Miz and Cena should be furious with Vince for letting that happen. What good came of it I dont know, but Miz and Cena looked 10 times worse thanks to the whooping from The Rock. Miz should of went over there at least momentaraly.

Overall, the worst Mania I can remember. Very forgettable and just another card to me. Im glad I stopped watching wrestling full time since Cena beat Michaels at Wrestlemania 23. The havent progressed at all.

Analysis of a former die-hard fan to a now twice-a-year man (Rumble & Mania)...
    My overall feel of the show was that it was a glorified 4hr edition of Monday Night Raw. They played it very safe and there were some serious mistakes.
    First off, The Rock wore a tracksuit at WrestleMania. Gone are the days when everyone not wrestling was in their very best tux or evening gown respectively on the night. I was stunned to see him wear that. I was expecting one of his legendary shirts from his Attitude era days. Not good for the alleged 'host' of WrestleMania.

The World Championship match first? It just speaks 'We dont care about this belt' or 'Smackdown is the lesser brand'. The match itself was solid but Del Rio is not a star. Hes a mid-carder. He does not want to make me tune into Smackdown. And I think hes quite likeable actually - hes not a heel. The stunt at the end where the keyd the Rolls was awful. The screeech of metal on metal is horrible. E & C just looked like a couple of tennage punks wrecking a neighbours fancy car. If they wanted to wreck the car they should have drove it off the stage or something spectacular - I think they used to call it a Mania moment.

No tag-team championship on the card? Gone are the days of E&C, Hardys, Acolytes et al. They really dont care about the tag-team division anymore.

The mask match was pathetic. Not for a second did I believe Cody Rhodes was disfigured. A toilet break match.

Punk v Orton was good - good storyline going into, with it being a revenge mission two years in the making and all. That was a Mania match alright but its hard to buy Orton as a menacing face. I think he was at his best when he was a cocky heel. Not to mention he has obviously been on a 'diet' in the last few years - hes at least 20lbs lighter that in 2005.

HHH v Taker was also good but incredibly slow. Looked like Taker made a mess of that submission move. Is HHHs head not supposed to be locked in bewteen his legs. Didnt look like it.
    Its hard to believe that the two men who fought ten years earlier at the same event would be back to do it one more time. Highlights the lack of firepower in the main event in WWE.

Finally, I thought I was watching the main event of Raw when looking at Cena v Miz. Where do I start: Miz is too babyfaced looking to be the companys top heel. He doesnt command respect. Hes not big enough either. John Cena was booed out of the building yet Miz wasnt super over as,say, Rock or HBK would have been in the same situation.
    The commentary was atrocious - the two men didnt have an excited tone of voice at all and sounded indifferent all through the match.
    We all know what Cena is at this stage and, to be honest, hes the reason I stopped watching WWE. He isnt Hulk Hogan but hes constantly in the same position at Mania that Hogan was - ie the Main Event. Its time for a heel turn if hes going to get over with the 12-30year old males.
    But, despite the two mens shortcomings, what Creative let Rock do to them at the end was unforgivable. To bury the top two guys in the company at the moment at WrestleManias main event, without response, was jaw dropping. Miz and Cena should be furious with Vince for letting that happen. What good came of it I dont know, but Miz and Cena looked 10 times worse thanks to the whooping from The Rock. Miz should of went over there at least momentaraly.

Overall, the worst Mania I can remember. Very forgettable and just another card to me. Im glad I stopped watching wrestling full time since Cena beat Michaels at Wrestlemania 23. The havent progressed at all.

Nice rant!

But most of what you posted shows you really don't watch too often. I have no problem with your opinions expressed but I thought I might clear up some things for you so you may understand a few things better (since you don't watch regularly and all).

Rock wore a tracksuit as he promised to kick ass at Wrestlemania. Who turns up for a fight in a shirt?

Del Rio has consistently attacked people for months and in storyline terms Injured Mysterio, Christian and Edge. He has excelled as a heel ever since he debuted.

Rhodes has been selling a mental issue with his face being damaged for months. Then in a match he took a knee brace to the face from rey so to build the mania match he was taken off TV to sell the face injury. After it was kayfabe injured and fixed up he returned to TV with his face protected by a mask to stop it being damaged again while it "heals fully". Actually on this one I have to say I disagree with your opinion, the match was excellent.

Ortons "Diet" is what happens when wrestlers stop taking pills!

No the finisher has looked like that for ages. I think it looked better the way you described it but they changed it back in the Big Daddy V Days.

I agree it wasn't the smartest thing to have Rock take out Cena and Miz. bBut I would say Miz and Cena were out on the floor just a few minutes before Rock got involved so it made Sense Rock was able to beat them up. The lack of reaction for the match was everyone was waiting for the great one to appear.

I have no idea why you think Miz needs to be bigger, Perhaps it goes back to your Orton comment and the fact when you watched regularly many guys were getting help from steroids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Really didn't like 'Mania at all. Punk V Orton was my favourite match but I think the wrong person won tbh.

The whole thing felt like it was missing something. There wasn't enough special rules matches. Ok, fair enough there was a no holds barred match for Taker/HHH but it felt like it needed more of those type of matches like a cage match or something.

If it's supposed to be the biggest showcase they have to offer then surely they should do something special to put on a show.

Singles matches with standard rules are fine for RAW and Smackdown but the whole card was very unappealing going into the event.

EDIT: Hated the way they ended the King/Lawler match. Farce that the GM of RAW should change the decision around. Total joke.

One of the best things about it though was HHH's entrance. Quality...

You can tell an event is poor when your main positive is an entrance.

Advertisement