Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring alarm bell box with cat5/cat6 cable??

Options
  • 04-04-2011 4:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Can cat5e or cat6 cable be used to wire an external bell box back to an alarm panel?

Thinking of putting an extra external bell box out on my garage wall (extra deterent for any potential thieves) and wiring it back to the alarm panel in the house

Just wondering if cat5e or cat6 cable can be used for wiring a bell box,and running it inside a small wavin tube down from the house to the garage.

I have a box of cat5e and also cat6 cable here in the house with me,so might aswell use it,if it can be used.

So,can I use cat5e or cat6 cable for hooking up an external bell box??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes it can.
    Just be careful if bending the cable inside the bell or the panel. The strands snap easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

paddy147 wrote: »
    Can cat5e or cat6 cable be used to wire an external bell box back to an alarm panel?

Thinking of putting an extra external bell box out on my garage wall (extra deterent for any potential thieves) and wiring it back to the alarm panel in the house

Just wondering if cat5e or cat6 cable can be used for wiring a bell box,and running it inside a small wavin tube down from the house to the garage.

I have a box of cat5e and also cat6 cable here in the house with me,so might aswell use it,if it can be used.

So,can I use cat5e or cat6 cable for hooking up an external bell box??

It is not ideal to use this cable for the alarm, as has being pointed out it is a brittle cable that can break easily. It is not recommended by the manufacturer to use this cable on the alarm system either. Your better off using 6 core alarm cable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

altor wrote: »
    It is not ideal to use this cable for the alarm, as has being pointed out it is a brittle cable that can break easily. It is not recommended by the manufacturer to use this cable on the alarm system either. Your better off using 6 core alarm cable.

Thanks.
    Is the 6 core alarm cable weatherproof or suitable for going outdoors to the garage?

I have about 45 meters of 6 core here,along with the cat5e and cat6 cable.:)

KoolKid wrote: »
    Yes it can.
    Just be careful if bending the cable inside the bell or the panel. The strands snap easily.

Thanks,I happened to see that advice on another site too,while I was googling earlier on.

Thanks.
    Is the 6 core alarm cable weatherproof or suitable for going outdoors to the garage?

I have about 45 meters of 6 core here,along with the cat5e and cat6 cable.:)

The cable will have to be protected to install the external bell on to your certified alarm system. In terms of going in a small wavin tube down from the house to the garage, is this going under ground ?

• Advertisement

The cable will have to be protected to install the external bell on to your certified alarm system. In terms of going in a small wavin tube down from the house to the garage, is this going under ground ?

If it goes underground,then it will be at least 2.5 feet deep underground.

Same depth as the SWA power cable and water pipe are,to the garage.

Im presuming that 6 core alarm cable inside a small wavin tube and layed underground would be ok??

If it goes underground,then it will be at least 2.5 feet deep underground.

Same depth as the SWA power cable and water pipe are,to the garage.

Im presuming that 6 core alarm cable inside a small wavin tube and layed underground would be ok??

That will be ok Paddy147.

That will be ok Paddy147.

Your welcome :D

Does a security camera need cat5/cat 6 to work?

Should I get a length of cat5/cat6 run out to my garage aswell,if I wanted to install a security camera in the future?

• Advertisement

Does a security camera need cat5/cat 6 to work?

Should I get a length of cat5/cat6 run out to my garage aswell,if I wanted to install a security camera in the future?

That is a good Ideal when you are running the other cables. You can use the cat5/cat6 cable for security cameras.

That is a good Ideal when you are running the other cables. You can use the cat5/cat6 cable for security cameras.

Thankyou.:)

Thankyou.:)

Your welcome paddy147 :D

Your welcome paddy147 :D

My girlfriend dug the trench today.

I thought she was digging to China at 1 stage,she has dug down that deep.:D

My girlfriend dug the trench today.

I thought she was digging to China at 1 stage,she has dug down that deep.:D

Once you did not have to dig it :D

Once you did not have to dig it :D

It was hard work for me though,making all those cups of tea.:D

Forgot to ask.....where sould the cat5e cable for the camera be wired back to in the house then?

I have 3 to cable types to choose from,so which would be best suited for a camera?

Link indoor cat5e
    Link indoor cat 6
    Belden cat5e outdoor cable (black pvc coated)

It was hard work for me though,making all those cups of tea.:D

Forgot to ask.....where sould the cat5e cable for the camera be wired back to in the house then?

I have 3 to cable types to choose from,so which would be best suited for a camera?

Link indoor cat5e
    Link indoor cat 6
    Belden cat5e outdoor cable (black pvc coated)

Ha HA, you must of got the long straw :D

The Belden would be best for the outside camera. You could run them in where the control panel for the alarm is. I would also get a cable for the router to this point as you can have remote viewing of the cameras if the alarm activates by going on line.

Ha HA, you must of got the long straw :D

The Belden would be best for the outside camera. You could run them in where the control panel for the alarm is. I would also get a cable for the router to this point as you can have remote viewing of the cameras if the alarm activates by going on line.

So do I get 2 cat5e cables run from the camera location on the garage,back to the alarm panel location in the house?

I for the camera and 1 for a router,yes?

Or do I run the 2nd cable from the alarm panel up to the phone line location up in the attic??

So do I get 2 cat5e cables run from the camera location back to the alarm pael location then?

I for the camera and 1 for a router,yes?

Thats correct. one to camera location and one to the router. You can get power in the shed for the camera. I would run a few spare to the attic also for extra cameras if you need them. You may as well while your getting the other cables in :D

Advertisement