Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog eating from cats litter tray

• 04-04-2011 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

I had suspected this was happening for the last few days but I caught her red-pawed this morning!! She is a foster dog we have had for about 6 weeks now and I'm wondering if she needs to be wormed, or are the two un-connected? I assumed she would have been from the rescue and I will call them later to check but just wondering if anyone else's pooch has done this? It's easy enough for me to keep her away from the litter tray anyways. I wonder if it explains her farting??!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

HI OP, my dog who is a rescue dog used to eat our cats poo too when she was a puppy.
    When i had her at the vet for her vaccinations i mentioned it to the vet who suggested putting tobasco sauce on the cats poo which worked as the puppy ate it once but never again:)
    Sounds a little cruel but sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

My dog likes to get 'snacks' if he has the chance too- it's so disgusting. My advice is to keep the litter tray as clean as possible or do something like put the litter tray in a place where it's hard for the dog to reach it but still easily accessable to the cat. For example, my cat's tray is in a big cat carrier that I don't use and I can put a laundry basket in front of the entrance (with plenty of room for the cat to get in, but no room for doggy mouths). I would imagine the tabasco sauce trick works pretty well too!
    Dog breath is bad enough, but cat poo flavored dog breath is just vomit worthy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Thanks guys, I do clean the tray out every day which was how I suspected she was doing it, there would be no poop when I knew puss had pooped!! You are so right Wisco, cat poo flavoured dog breath is vile!!

It should be easy enough for me to keep the cats litter tray away from doggie now I know for deffo she is doing it, I would be worried putting tabasco on it would put the cat off going in there if there was any trace of tabasco and then it's a whole new set of problems!! I was just wondering because hubby thought it might be a sign she needed worming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I do clean the tray out every day which was how I suspected she was doing it, there would be no poop when I knew puss had pooped!! You are so right Wisco, cat poo flavoured dog breath is vile!!

It should be easy enough for me to keep the cats litter tray away from doggie now I know for deffo she is doing it, I would be worried putting tabasco on it would put the cat off going in there if there was any trace of tabasco and then it's a whole new set of problems!! I was just wondering because hubby thought it might be a sign she needed worming.
    Well you asked what worked for other people and that worked for me and didn't put off our cat as our cat had no interest in her poo.
    We only put it on the poo.

Ps, as i said in my original post that we only needed to do it once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I should add that if it's been more than 3 months since you've wormed either the dog or cat you should probably treat them as it's recommended to worm 4 times a year at a minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

AFAIK the protein content of cat poo means that dogs find it delicious. I'd advise moving the tray to somewhere the dog can't get at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I have no helpful advice. But I felt I had to say that this thread made me gag a little.:o
    Beats me why we put up with the disgusting-ness of animals sometimes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

dan_d wrote: »
    I have no helpful advice. But I felt I had to say that this thread made me gag a little.:o
    Beats me why we put up with the disgusting-ness of animals sometimes!!!

:D I agree!!!

Advertisement