Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp Proof Course/ Party wall

• 04-04-2011 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

I need to build a 9" cavity wall between my yard and neighbours yard, this wall will butt up against (and be tied to) the house. This wall will be capped and will form an exterior wall of a conservatory, I know what I'm doing as far as foundations, DPC etc are concerned but a thought just occured to me, do I run the DPC vertically between new wall and existing house as well?
    Thanks for any useful advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

9" cavity wall? Does this mean you have a one inch air gap? Isn't a standard cvity wall at least 12" (i.e. 4" block, 4" gap, 4" block).

Regardless, you only need place DPC at the existing level of the house. Normally, for an extention you would use a steel tie to butt (join) the new wall to the existing wall. Like this

[Embedded Image Removed]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭TheAnswer

Thanks Harry, I should have made it clearer, the wall will be built with 9" cavity blocks. Re ties, I was going to use individual galvanised straps rather than the device pictured. Ok in your opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

TheAnswer wrote: »
    Thanks Harry, I should have made it clearer, the wall will be built with 9" cavity blocks. Re ties, I was going to use individual galvanised straps rather than the device pictured. Ok in your opinion?

The device is much easier to use as the ties are adjustable up and down

Fixing a tie with a nail or screw just at the right height for each course is fine in theory but a PITA in practice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭TheAnswer

True!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

TheAnswer wrote: »

Doesn't reallt matter. Just drive on with it eh? They can be steep enough actually if I recall correctly.

Best of luck with the build

• Advertisement
Advertisement