Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equivalent Qualifications

Options
  • 04-04-2011 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me which US qualifications are compared to Irish; sorry if I’m not wording it correctly!!

As in I have two Certificates, one in Business and one in IT, I also have a two year business qualification in Accounting

So is a Certificate in Ireland equivalent to an Associate Degree?

Thanks
    LL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

As far as I can remember, most 2 year courses in the US are Associate Degrees, whereas 4 year programmes are Bachelor Degrees. Depending on what sort of job you're looking at, you may want to get your qualifications assessed by an American university (often not cheap) but you may find it beneficial when applying for jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

Hi,

Thanks for that Wisco. The plan is to get an office job and go back to college at night when there. If the qualifications and experience that I have help (which I sure they will in some way) then that will make things easier. I'm not expecting to start at the top as I don't know the US tax, VAT and Accounting laws but alot of it will be easy enough to pick up through practical experience and the rest in college.

All of this is just research at the moment as I haven't got a VISA but I like being prepared for this. Thanks again.

Advertisement