Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning about Eircom switchover process

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

God what a farce - so glad I left Eircom and this has definitely coloured me ever going back, along with other stories I have recently read on Boards. Vote with your feet (ears?) people!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

And you seriously think any of the other 'providers' are any better? Naive or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 seanoc2011

Callan57 wrote: »
    And you seriously think any of the other 'providers' are any better? Naive or what?
    i think any one who thinks eircom are the only reliable provider are very very naive.

tommy21 wrote: »
    God what a farce - so glad I left Eircom and this has definitely coloured me ever going back, along with other stories I have recently read on Boards. Vote with your feet (ears?) people!
    avoid eircom like the plague.

in the last 10 yrs eircom have raised their rates by 300%

Callan57 wrote: »
    i have worked in the telecommunications for years... i know what i am talking about thanks

(that sounded a bit arrogant of me but really get fed up of people thinking they dont have a choice)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

seanoc2011 wrote: »
    avoid eircom like the plague.

in the last 10 yrs eircom have raised their rates by 300%

Definitely - I moved to Nova networks (Cork only) and am delighted I did so, would recommend them to anyone in Cork.

tommy21 wrote: »
    Definitely - I moved to Nova networks (Cork only) and am delighted I did so, would recommend them to anyone in Cork.
    also the cheapest providers out there are pure telecom, hive telecom... also upc is good if u can get them... service can be a bit dodgy. vodafone and perlico are good too

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

i have worked in the telecommunications for years... i know what i am talking about thanks

Seems you've just signed up to boards to diss eircom! Why should anyone believe you?

java wrote: »
    Seems you've just signed up to boards to diss eircom! Why should anyone believe you?
    I have been on boards since January and I discuss a lot more than just eircom. you dont have to believe me.. see for yourself ... I am not promoting who I work for, I have nothing to gain from this, I am merely giving people advice....

I am sorry if you are working for eircom or eircom are your provider and you swear by them, but everything I have said is based on facts and this thread is about people having problems about switching from eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

I have worked in the telecommunications industry for a very long time... and have avoided working for eircom.

Eircom have an AWFUL reputation of luring people into contracts without them realizing.... Sending them bills when they are no longer with the company and sending them ridiculous cancellation fee's.

Another thing about eircom, is you get onto a person in there and they are not exactly Jim from customer care in the adverts. You do not get their full name. You cannot ask for that person again and if you have an issue, you have to go through the whole thing over again with them.

<snip>

There is the communication regulators who you can contact in relation to such matters in having trouble leaving eircom, however even ComReg let the consumers down in some cases. You could however contact Consumer Affairs or the Consumer Association Of Ireland.

Hi seanoc2011
    Yes you are correct in stating that as these threads allow posters voice their opinion in regards to any eircom issue and we welcome the opportunity to answer any query or help with any problem.
    Our presence on Boards.ie (where our names are clearly stated) and other online platforms provides alternative channels for communication and offers a transparent and fast response.
    While it is true that in a very busy service centre it is often very difficult to speak with the same agent every time, a call back to the customer can be arranged if necessary.
    Anyone who has been sent a bill 'when they are no longer with the company' or who wishes to have us investigate any other issue should contact us here (or PM us their details) and we will do our absolute best to help in any way we can.
    Regards
    Tony

• Advertisement

Hi seanoc2011
    Yes you are correct in stating that as these threads allow posters voice their opinion in regards to any eircom issue and we welcome the opportunity to answer any query or help with any problem.
    Our presence on Boards.ie (where our names are clearly stated) and other online platforms provides alternative channels for communication and offers a transparent and fast response.
    While it is true that in a very busy service centre it is often very difficult to speak with the same agent every time, a call back to the customer can be arranged if necessary.
    Anyone who has been sent a bill 'when they are no longer with the company' or who wishes to have us investigate any other issue should contact us here (or PM us their details) and we will do our absolute best to help in any way we can.
    Regards
    Tony
    Tony
    I am talking about customer care reps giving their full names... not just tony from eircom. While I welcome eircom answering these threads on boards.ie... there are some people not on this and wouldnt have the patience to be looking for answers to their problems on this.

Also as a representative from eircom, you are responsible for giving accurate information and I know that this has not been the case and anyone on this thread would back that up. <snip>

Everything I have said is based on facts and the experiences of my customers and people I know. My views are impartial to any telecom company I have worked for and are as a consumer only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I need to step in here to answer something that is beyond the control and remit of the Eircom folks here to answer...

It is a standing Boards.ie Policy that full names don't get used for employees of a company being talked about and we carried this on for our Verified Reps. There is a world of difference to a person's personal privacy and safety between saying "I was talking to Dav from Boards" and "I was talking to Dav Waldron from Boards" - you now have a full name where you can initiate a far more thorugh search for personal details. I'm sure any victim of a Tiger Raid or an online harassment campaign because of a work related issue that was discussed in public would happily explain their horror stories to you.

As to the impartiallity of your views Sean, you admit you're one of Eircom's competitors and name your own company as an alternative here. You do nothing on this site but bad mouth and accuse Eircom of all sorts. You're making some *very* big allegations against Eircom and you're using our website as the platform for these potentially defamatory comments and are therefore making us legally responsible for your opinions. This cannot continue and so you are going to have to tone this down and keep it legal if you're going to continue as a member here. As it is, I'm now going to have to trawl through your posts and remove anything illegal and to be perfectly honest, I have more for doing with my time than dealing with this sort of nonsense. If you want to promote your own company, you can talk to our sales team.

Dav Waldron
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Dav wrote: »
    I need to step in here to answer something that is beyond the control and remit of the Eircom folks here to answer...

It is a standing Boards.ie Policy that full names don't get used for employees of a company being talked about and we carried this on for our Verified Reps. There is a world of difference to a person's personal privacy and safety between saying "I was talking to Dav from Boards" and "I was talking to Dav Waldron from Boards" - you now have a full name where you can initiate a far more thorugh search for personal details. I'm sure any victim of a Tiger Raid or an online harassment campaign because of a work related issue that was discussed in public would happily explain their horror stories to you.

As to the impartiallity of your views Sean, you admit you're one of Eircom's competitors and name your own company as an alternative here. You do nothing on this site but bad mouth and accuse Eircom of all sorts. You're making some *very* big allegations against Eircom and you're using our website as the platform for these potentially defamatory comments and are therefore making us legally responsible for your opinions. This cannot continue and so you are going to have to tone this down and keep it legal if you're going to continue as a member here. As it is, I'm now going to have to trawl through your posts and remove anything illegal and to be perfectly honest, I have more for doing with my time than dealing with this sort of nonsense. If you want to promote your own company, you can talk to our sales team.

Dav Waldron
    Boards.ie Community Manager
    Dav

I am merely speaking from experience in regards to the thread. Anything I have said is fact and I am doing nothing ILLEGAL here on this.

I will tone down my posts to your liking but I will continue to advise people of how to go about leaving eircom if that is their choice. I have seen far worse on this and I am angry that people are being misled. Perhaps if I did speak to your sales team, you would have no problem with my posts.

I am not making any allegations in regards to eircom. again, all is based on fact and if any of the representatives want to challenge that, then by all means do that as that is their right. And i take offense to you saying that what I have said is nonsense. this thread is marked; "Warning about Eircom switchover process", so unfortunately the feedback on these threads arent going to suit eircom.

If you want to PRIVATE MAIL me in regards to this, I would like to discuss this further with you. I have absolutely no problem adhering to the terms and conditions of this website but if we are being censored for what we say in regards to switching away from eircom then, I dont see the point in having his thread.

look forward to your reply there dav

Sean,

You were defaming Eircom. I have removed instances of you doing so to protect Boards.ie Ltd and my job. Your saying you've done nothing illegal simply does not make it fact. I'm unfortunately all to familiar with our rather unsatisfactory defamation law. Effectively, it means that if you can't say anything nice about a company, don't say anything at all which is ridiculous. Customers need to be able to talk about unsatisfactory treatment but when you accuse a company of bullying, lying etc, this tends to injure a person’s reputation in the eyes of reasonable members of society (source) and is therefore defamation. It doesn't even matter if it's true! There is a defence of it being a "fair comment" if it is true, but that only comes into effect when you're standing in a courtroom (where you'll need to prove it's true) and if it gets to that stage, Boards.ie Ltd, as the publisher of this statement, will have had to already spend thousands of euro in legal fees and man hours to get to that stage. So you can see why this would be a problem for us.

I'll go on record and state I have no love for Eircom. The specifics are something I've spoken about at length here on Boards.ie through my personal account, but right now, I'm speaking as an employee who has a responsibility to clarify how we do things (staff names policy I mentioned earlier - I hope that's to your satisfaction) and to call a halt to what is flat out abuse and not constructive or specific, answerable criticism of our client.

The gang here from Eircom are under no illusions that their daily job is meant to be a cake walk. Eircom and Boards has a long history together and it's a sure sign that their company is changing when they're here and talking to their customers directly and doing their best to ensure satisfactory results and I can honestly say that I think they're doing a really good job.

So this has nothing to do with censorship, this is about keeping things civil and above all else, legal.

Dav

I appreciate your understanding Sean, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

An agent does not have to give you their full name...

An agent does not have to give you their full name...
    i know that but adds to the personal touch when u give your full name i think

Advertisement