Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting from Douglas to Glanmire

Options
  • 04-04-2011 10:06am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

Hopefully be starting a new job this year in Glanmire, but I have a house in Douglas....and no car!

Just looking for the best way to get there. Seems the Riverstown and Glanmire buses would get me to work at 7.45 which is a little early for a 9am start. The next buses are too late.

Also, does anyone know how much these buses cost and if it is possible to get a monthly ticket? I'll be taking buses 4 times a day which will add up. Maybe I should get a bicycle. :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You can get a monthly Cork city and suburban ticket that gives you tax savings: http://www.taxsaver.ie/Ticket-Types/Bus-Eireann-Point-to-Point/Monthly-Cork-City-and-Subarban/

I'd be more inclined to cycle it though given my past experience of trying to commute by bus in Cork (and that was with only getting one bus which was supposed to be every 15 mins).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Buses:

You'd lose your mind if you rely on 4 buses a day

In late 06' I lasted 10 days in a cabinet making apprenticeship based in sallybrook, 20 min walk from mothers house in Mayfield to Glanmire bus stop outside the secondary school

I walked the 5 miles home as the bus left 20 mins before my shift ended and the next one left around the time I walked in the front door

I packed it in, got an odd job in the city before getting my current job in the Mahon/Blackrock area

When I first started I used get 4 buses a day from the mothers place in Mayfield out to work, 1hr to get there, 90mins-2hrs to get home

Spending 3 hrs a day to to complete a journey that takes a maximum 15mins by car felt like crap, I was constantly fighting colds and chest infections and the stress of it really got me down. I'd never do it again

It didn't feel safe either, I'd a few incidents that I won't go into detail about but which could have ended badly

Cycling:

Assuming you'd stay on flat land going through the city centre and avoid going uphill to Mayfield, you'd need nerves of steel to cycle the lower glanmire road.
    You'll be side by side with cars going 60mph on a road that floods in certain parts before you'd get to dunkettle roundabout

If your going further then Glanmire, the road between Glanmire and Riverstown would have to be cycled on the footpath, the road itself has a lot of blind spots and is pitch black at night

I reckon your best choices are to:

Set up an account with a taxi company or hackney driver with a set price for your weekly journey

Either from Douglas or to save a bit, get the number 7 to ballyvolane and get a taxi from dunnes

Or bite the bullet and get a car, you'll be safer and happier.

You genuinely can pick up a reliable clean car for under €500 needing only regular servicing and maintenance , I did this time last year

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I know the road very well down by Dunkettle - grew up on that road (and cycled it daily - but I know it's dangerous).

I'll have to do more thinking about this so. Taxis/cars are out as I won't be paid for this - it's a year's working/training. Might just have to suck it up and take the bus. :(

Thanks people!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

A moped :D

It would be bike for me no question. It's nowhere near as dangerous as people make out, just make sure that your bike is in good working order and get a decent set of lights.

It'll save you loads of money, make you fitter, and get you there quicker than a car would at rush hour.

A few years ago I had a summer job working on a building site (remember those?) on the far side of Glanmire. One week I couldn't drive because the car was in the garage for repairs. I made it from Bishopstown to Glanmire in around 35 minutes, whereas driving normally took around 45 minutes in the morning, and up to an hour in the evening when the traffic was bad. i took the bike from then on. Granted traffic has gotten lighter with the recession and all but I think cycling would still be a very viable option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I've cycled around Cork and its no more dangerous than any other place in Ireland, commuted in Dublin for a couple of years. I actually cycled that route/similar a few times and didn't find it too bad at all.

Its all about keeping yourself safe and also been confident, don't let motorists, pedestrians and other cyclists make you think you've done something wrong. Read the rules of the road as any road user should even if you never get behind the wheel of a car.

As regards cycling on footpaths, footpaths are for walking on unless theres a cycle lane on them!

Advertisement