Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22short from a .22lr??

Options
  • 04-04-2011 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

sorry lads probably a stupid question but I dont know the answer:D can .22short ammo be fired from a .22lr?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

sorry lads probably a stupid question but I dont know the answer:D can .22short ammo be fired from a .22lr?

Does your rifle say .22 S.L.LR?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

Does your rifle say .22 S.L.LR?

its a .22lr tack.

this is what I'm really looking for
    http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0038

but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get them, I can get .22shorts but I wouldnt chance it until I know if they can be fired from my .22lr

its a .22lr tack.

My Da has a .22 sllr and can fire .22 short,long and long rifle.

AFAIK only rifles marked SLLR can do same.

You are only supposed to use ammo chambered for your firearm in any case

this is what I'm really looking for
    http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0038

but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get them, I can get .22shorts but I wouldnt chance it until I know if they can be fired from my .22lr

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/international.aspx#4

ARDEE SPORTS COMPANY
    PEPPERSTOWN
    ARDEE
    CO. LOUTH
    Ireland
    Phone: (+) 353 41 685 3711
    Fax: (+) 353 41 685 3072
    Email: info@ardee-sports.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Can you physically do it? Maybe. The round will definitely chamber; but the lands may not have engaged with the bullet head by the time the bolt is closed. Which is why you shouldn't try it - depending on your rifle, it might work or it might damage your rifle. I'm not sure if it'd ever damage it enough to harm you, there being so little charge in a .22 short, but if it damages the chamber badly, well, that's pretty close to buy-a-new-rifle time...

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

I'd check your gun's manual, if you haven't got one try here http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm. If it's a tube magazine rifle then they always (afaik) quote the capacity in short, long and long rifle so if it will feed in your rifle it should be ok. One point I would consider is being extra carefull cleaning the chamber before going from shorts to LR. I wouldn't worry about the bullet not reaching the lands when chambering as this is the case in revolvers of all calibers.

I'm kinda getting it now, with a .22lr the bullet is engaged with the rifleling straight away when fired, if I loaded a .22short the bullet will travel 5 or 10mm with nothing touching the sides before it hits the rifleling so if it doesnt go perfectly straight it could do damage to where the chamber meets the barrel or rifled part of the barrel right?

sfakiaman wrote: »
    I'd check your gun's manual, if you haven't got one try here http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm. If it's a tube magazine rifle then they always (afaik) quote the capacity in short, long and long rifle so if it will feed in your rifle it should be ok. One point I would consider is being extra carefull cleaning the chamber before going from shorts to LR. I wouldn't worry about the bullet not reaching the lands when chambering as this is the case in revolvers of all calibers.

All .22 cal Rifles I ever handled from prior to say ~1970 were SLLR.
    I have not seen it written on any modern rifle.

I take the point about the revolvers.
    S&W 686 .38 Special/WC/.357 Mag springs to mind.
    I fired all 3 rounds from the same revolver stateside

I'm kinda getting it now, with a .22lr the bullet is engaged with the rifleling straight away when fired, if I loaded a .22short the bullet will travel 5 or 10mm with nothing touching the sides before it hits the rifleling so if it doesnt go perfectly straight it could do damage to where the chamber meets the barrel or rifled part of the barrel right?
    Not as far as 10mm I would hope. But yes, basicly that's the hassle. You'd risk damaging the ends of the lands (not from one shot, but from repeated shots) and you'd be peeling off lead from the round at a right clip depending on how fast the round was going when it hit the lands, which would mean more fouling in the barrel per shot than most .22lr rifles see in months.

And Tack, you must never have handled any anschutz built in the last forty years in that case. The 1700 sporters and the 18xx, 19xx and 20xx match rifles I've shot would all let you chamber a .22short in a .22lr chamber, but the lands would not have engaged, and the wallop you'd give them firing a .22short would at the very least make cleaning up afterwards an interesting task.

As to revolvers, find me a revolver that's as accurate as a rifle and we won't be comparing apples and chalk. There's a reason that the ISSF pistol shooters all switched over to semiautos back in the late 70s.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »

And Tack, you must never have handled any anschutz built in the last forty years in that case. The 1700 sporters and the 18xx, 19xx and 20xx match rifles I've shot would all let you chamber a .22short in a .22lr chamber, but the lands would not have engaged, and the wallop you'd give them firing a .22short would at the very least make cleaning up afterwards an interesting task.

As to revolvers, find me a revolver that's as accurate as a rifle and we won't be comparing apples and chalk. There's a reason that the ISSF pistol shooters all switched over to semiautos back in the late 70s.

I have handled quite a few 1710's never saw Suitable for .22 short written on them.

And a S&W 686 is a fine piece of engineering especially in .38WC
    My dream Target Pistol

I have handled quite a few 1710's never saw Suitable for .22 short written on them.
    Ah, my bad, I misread your post. Lack of coffee, now fixed...
    My dream Target Pistol
    I think I'll stick to my Walter SSP dream, or maybe the one of a matching set of CM22 and CM32 Morinis :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I used to have an old Remington 511 and it was clearly marked '.22 Short, Long and Long Rifle'. Built in 1946! I wouldn't put .22 shorts into anything that doesn't clearly say it will take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

French Manhurin revolvers,apprently the most accurate,all hand made from the last nut and bolt.With a corrosponding Gallic high price too.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Extract taken from "Cartridges of the world, 10th edition"

"The .22 short is the oldest American, commercial self contained, metalic cartridge and has been in continuous production for more than 143 years"

"The .22 short can be fired in any arm chambered for the long rifle, but most semi auto guns will not function properly wth the .22 short."

Interestingly on a side note it says ".... the .22 short was origionally intended for self defence. It is still used for olympic match shooting and heavy target pistols are specificly built for it."

It's a slightly erroneous side note so - ISSF dropped the .22short from the last event that used it a few years back. And I don't remember anything other than the rapid fire pistol event using it before then. And the modern pentathlon folks stopped using it years before that.

Sparks wrote: »
    It's a slightly erroneous side note so - ISSF dropped the .22short from the last event that used it a few years back. And I don't remember anything other than the rapid fire pistol event using it before then. And the modern pentathlon folks stopped using it years before that.

Dont shoot the messenger, I dont want to go off topic with the thread on this but im only quoting what it says but the tenth edition was printed in 2003...... is that enough "few years back" ?

To the OP it looks like a yes.

However very few dealers probably stock .22 short ammo anyway so it is probably academic ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I have a couple of boxes of 22 shorts (RWS) I got off Paul in Drangan. Very good when less power is required eg ratting in sheds ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Forgive the ignorance but is it not CB Long cartridges he's looking for

are they not a 22 long cartridge with very little propellant? Or are they a 22 short cartridge with very little propellant?

B'Man

• Advertisement

Bananaman wrote: »
    Forgive the ignorance but is it not CB Long cartridges he's looking for

are they not a 22 long cartridge with very little propellant? Or are they a 22 short cartridge with very little propellant?

B'Man

I assume that since the OP mentioned short that it is what the OP ment,
    however the .22 CB is somewhat or a cross bewteen a .22BB cap and .22 short.

If the .22 short will fire from a .22lr i wouldnt see any reason why a .22CB wouldnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

"The .22 short can be fired in any arm chambered for the long rifle, but most semi auto guns will not function properly wth the .22 short."

+1 - this is my understanding. However, I have never tried it myself.

The 22 short is an underpowered round. From what I remember, it was the popular round at the carnival for shooting and denting cans. Not a round for any kind of hunting.

I always believed that a 22LR would chamber most 22's except for the 22Magnum: 22 short, 22 long, 22BB, 22CB, and 22 long rifle.

I doubt any manufacturer is going to list all of those on their barrel.

True, the 22short bullet will have to travel a small distance to engage the rifling. However, I doubt this will cause any catastrophic failure. Just a loss of accuracy.

Denting cans at a carnival, Only in America :D

............Only in America :D

Dented a few cans myself at carnivals here :D

You children think if ye didn't invent it it ain't fun :p

You children think if ye didn't invent it it ain't fun :p

I remember Tin can alley too.

It wasn't with a .22 short though :D

Amd go to bed Bunny.
    A man of your age needs yer sleep :D

I remember Tin can alley too.

It wasn't with a .22 short though :D

Amd go to bed Bunny.
    A man of your age needs yer sleep :D

Hard case .................... still up :P

what I'm really loooking for are cb longs, basically I want to turn my .22lr into a high powered air-rifle for a day if I feel like it, the cb longs have a muzzel velocity of 700fps and are 35ft/lb at the muzzel which would be on par with a seriously powerfull air-rifle, which would make it safe to shoot magpies etc out of the trees, right???

I asked about the .22shorts as I thought they may be the alternative to the cb long but I've since done a bit of reading up on them and they're around 1000fps and 80ft/lb at the muzzel which I reckon would be to powerful to be firing into the sky if I miss, stiil I'm unsure though.

FISMA wrote: »
    Just a loss of accuracy.
    When you can pay over €2k for an anschutz and over €5k for a bleiker, a loss of accuracy is a catastrophic failure :D

And me. Though I've not seen it at funfairs here since the mid-eighties. Anyone seen a shooting stand at a funfair in the last ten years in Ireland?

• Advertisement

which would make it safe to shoot magpies etc out of the trees, right?
    35 ft/lb is nearly three times the limit where airguns become firearms in the UK, and the higher end airguns in the UK at the 12 ft/lb limit would not be fun to be shot with (probably wouldn't be fatal, but definitely you're looking at a serious injury). Three times that? Quite possibly fatal - and if you're aiming up into a tree with a round that has a lethal range of probably between 200 and 400 yards and you either miss or the shot goes through and through...

...well, odds are you could be lucky, but you definitely wouldn't be safe.
    If it's what you're looking to do, I'd think a .22 air rifle would be a better tool for the job to be honest.

Advertisement