Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22short from a .22lr??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

Sparks wrote: »
    35 ft/lb is nearly three times the limit where airguns become firearms in the UK, and the higher end airguns in the UK at the 12 ft/lb limit would not be fun to be shot with (probably wouldn't be fatal, but definitely you're looking at a serious injury). Three times that? Quite possibly fatal - and if you're aiming up into a tree with a round that has a lethal range of probably between 200 and 400 yards and you either miss or the shot goes through and through...

...well, odds are you could be lucky, but you definitely wouldn't be safe.
    If it's what you're looking to do, I'd think a .22 air rifle would be a better tool for the job to be honest.

you can buy an air-rifle in the uk without a licence up to 12ft/lb anything over that you need a licence thats the way it was a few years ago anyway, for shooting rabbits and vermin I'd guess most lads would use 20+ft/lb, my first air-rifle was 22ft/lb and did the job very well, remember I don't intend to do anything, thats why I'm asking first.

IF it turned out to be safe why spend €1000 on an air-rifle when I could just buy a box of cb longs

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

IF it turned out to be safe why spend €1000 on an air-rifle when I could just buy a box of cb longs
    Yup, no harm in asking at all.
    Best course of action to take, most times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

what I'm really loooking for are cb longs, basically I want to turn my .22lr into a high powered air-rifle for a day if I feel like it, the cb longs have a muzzel velocity of 700fps and are 35ft/lb at the muzzel which would be on par with a seriously powerfull air-rifle, which would make it safe to shoot magpies etc out of the trees, right???

I asked about the .22shorts as I thought they may be the alternative to the cb long but I've since done a bit of reading up on them and they're around 1000fps and 80ft/lb at the muzzel which I reckon would be to powerful to be firing into the sky if I miss, stiil I'm unsure though.

002.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Sparks wrote: »
    And me. Though I've not seen it at funfairs here since the mid-eighties. Anyone seen a shooting stand at a funfair in the last ten years in Ireland?

Last time I shot Air-Rifle @ a funfair was ~1995.
    I remember you had to score 21 to win and I scored 20 or 22 all the time.

Thing was, I did not care. I just loved shooting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Goosie

what I'm really loooking for are cb longs, basically I want to turn my .22lr into a high powered air-rifle for a day if I feel like it, the cb longs have a muzzel velocity of 700fps and are 35ft/lb at the muzzel which would be on par with a seriously powerfull air-rifle, which would make it safe to shoot magpies etc out of the trees, right???

I asked about the .22shorts as I thought they may be the alternative to the cb long but I've since done a bit of reading up on them and they're around 1000fps and 80ft/lb at the muzzel which I reckon would be to powerful to be firing into the sky if I miss, stiil I'm unsure though.

I feel for you VirminH.....I went through the same rigmarole a couple of years back. I wanted a tool for the same reasons you mention and also for rats in sheds. After much searching, ringing I eventually got a couple boxes of the CCI CB Longs. They turned out to be totally inaccurate beyond about 15yds. It just did'nt work for me. I suggest that if you have an abundance of that kind of shooting go the air rifle route. You should be able to pick up a good Break-barrell in .22 for 2-300€. Costs almost nothing to run. Will throw a pellet out at anything from 5-800fps depending on mainspring. Accurate. Only problem is the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) My bolt action anchutz will shoot shorts no problem but my Browning Buckmark won't cycle with them.
    I consider them ideal for 50 yard rabbit shooting but they have a surprising range ( I've watched them raise dust at 200 yards ) so I dont think shooting into trees is a good idea .
    They are however very quiet and can be used without a moderator.Where can you source them. ? I used to use Eley shorts but they are obsolete.

cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

recipio wrote: »
    .........Where can you source them. ?............

Previous post in this thread :P

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71527621&postcount=20

Advertisement