Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Routing Eirom broadband around house?

Options
  • 04-04-2011 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Not sure where to post this so sorry if wrong place...

I am trying to tidy up my eircom wiring by routing my eircom broadband signal around the house using pre-wired phone jacks in each room. Eircom comes into my cloakroom and the eircom box there has a separate phone and a data output. Currently the phone output is connected to a switching box (there when I moved in) and the data line goes to my dsl router. Some pictures attached...

Can anyone help me make sense of this setup? I would like for each of the phone jacks in each room to also carry the dsl signal so that I could put the router anywhere in the house. Can I do this? On the main switch box, there only appears to be one telephone line input (currently used by the phone line). I do not know how to get both phone and dsl through the house wiring. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭carrollf

Anyone have any idea on this? If more info is needed let me know or should this post be somewhere else?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Not sure this will help, but here is my experience.
    My DSL router and main phone are connected to my main incoming Eircom connection box (the one where the external wires come to).
    I chased ethernet cables into the plasterboard, in all the rooms in the house (except bathrooms) and fitted wall mounted ethernet outlets. All the ethernet cabling runs to an 18 port Cisco managed switch in my attic.
    One of the ethernet ports of the router is connected to a wall socket.
    This gives me DSL throughout the house.

The main Eircom socket (new model socket) offers the possibility of wiring an additional spur / socket. I used this to wire up my second socket (to which I attached a DSL fileter)

Thanks for the info...

Simpler question this time - does the telephone line coming out of the Eircom box (as opposed to the data line) also carry DSL? Or has it been pre-filtered to only carry voice?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

1 line - carries everything.
    The way I was told, DSL is simply a frequency with a different harmonic on the same line as voice.
    (don't ask me to explain it - that's the way it was given to me :o)
    carrollf wrote: »
    Thanks for the info...

Simpler question this time - does the telephone line coming out of the Eircom box (as opposed to the data line) also carry DSL? Or has it been pre-filtered to only carry voice?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Thanks for the info...

Thanks
    Hi carrollf
    yes Italia is correct:) the eircom line should be able to deliver both voice and DSL.
    Tony

• Advertisement

Thanks Tony - just to clarify my setup (see photo with descriptions). Do you think the issue is a loss of signal strength throught this switch box? Also, the phone line entering the switch box is coming from the data output on the master Eircom box.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Thanks Tony - just to clarify my setup (see photo with descriptions). Do you think the issue is a loss of signal strength throught this switch box? Also, the phone line entering the switch box is coming from the data output on the master Eircom box.

Thanks
    Hi carrollf
    had posted this to the eircom forum but yo may not have recieved this
    Hi carrollf

If the phoneports work and are connected to main switch you may be able to recieve broadband on them, however ordinary phone extention cable is not going to provide the best speed. To optimmise speed over internal network you should use Cat5 cable.
    Is your house a new house and extentions recently wired? I am afraid I would be only guessing on the info available. I imagine your switchbox was installed by third party electrician?
    If you run Cat5 cable from main phone socket and position modem in more suitable location you should then be able to access modem by wireless.
    Plug it in and see how it works but you may need the advice of electrician.
    Hope this helps.
    Tony

Advertisement