Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching back to ESB

Options
  • 04-04-2011 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hello, I'm an ex ESB customer. I'm currently with Bord Gais with electricity & gas. I would like to switch to ESB with both bills. Do I need to pay by DD? Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Thanks cookie1977 for posting that link - got there before me ;)
    SPK wrote:
    I would like to switch to ESB with both bills. Do I need to pay by DD?

Hi SPK,

Without opting to pay by direct debit, existing customers of ours that have been with us for more than 12 months can avail of a discount of up to 17%* if they sign up for both gas and electricity. Returning customers have the option of availing of the discount provided they sign up via direct debit.

Some Ts&Cs apply, but our Sales team are on hand to discuss the details on 1850 30 50 90.

Thanks,

David.

* 8% off standard unit rate, 4% off gas (relative to Bord Gais's prices as of 04/04/11). An additional 5% off total units used if customer is dual fuel (both gas and electricity) and on online billing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭leex

I'm interested in moving back to ESB from Bord Gais. Does any one know if there is a minimum contract period with Bord Gais before I can move?

Other than the first 30 days there's no minimum contract with bordgais

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SPK

David, I've just got off the phone with your sales team on 1850 30 50 90. After being on hold for 10mins I was informed that I must go DD even though I was a customer from 94-09. I read out your email and he said there's lots of incorrect information being put out at the moment. Sean

• Advertisement

Hi Sean,

I'm very sorry about the confusion and about the information provided earlier.

The discount outlined in my post would apply to existing customers of ESB Electric Ireland rather than those switching back from another provider. I have now edited the post to correct this.

Again, sincere apologies. If there's anything I can do to help don't hesitate to get in touch.

Regards,

David.

David, whats the bottom line here? Are you saying that I cannot move back to ESB unless I sign up by DD? I had a very bad experience with DD previously and don't want to take that chance again. Sean

Unfortunately to avail fully of our discounts on offer, in this case you would need to sign up to direct debit.
    SPK wrote:
    I had a very bad experience with DD previously and don't want to take that chance again.

I'm sorry to hear that; have you considered combining paying via direct debit with easypay card payments? That way you could prepay your bill (weekly in the post office for instance, or at whatever intervals suit), and the balance (if any) would then be collected via direct debit.

I hope this information helps.

Thanks,

David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sue91

hi spk,

just so you are aware airtricity are giving 20% off gas and 6% off electricity. you do have to sign up direct debit but you can still pay in the post office because you can go down and pay every week so you have it paid or atleast part of it before you receive your bill. then when you do if you have anything outstanding you have 5 days to go back down and pay it in the post office or 2 weeks after the bill came out it will then come from the DD. so it doesnt have to touch the account at all :D

this saving is with e-bill also. i think its a great idea because theres no bills lying around but if you ever need the paper work for anything you can just print it out....if you still want paper bills you can but you get 18% and 5% off

hope this helps :)

sue91 wrote: »
    hi spk,

just so you are aware airtricity are giving 20% off gas and 6% off electricity. you do have to sign up direct debit but you can still pay in the post office because you can go down and pay every week so you have it paid or atleast part of it before you receive your bill. then when you do if you have anything outstanding you have 5 days to go back down and pay it in the post office or 2 weeks after the bill came out it will then come from the DD. so it doesnt have to touch the account at all :D

this saving is with e-bill also. i think its a great idea because theres no bills lying around but if you ever need the paper work for anything you can just print it out....if you still want paper bills you can but you get 18% and 5% off

The only thing there sue is that air tricity are charging a fortune for the standing charge. This could out weigh any savings if you don't use a lot of electricity.

• Advertisement

couple of euro on a standing charge really isn't anything compared to a couple of hundred saving....plus esb or bord gais can change there standing charge in the morning. its just one of those things :)

couple of euro on a standing charge really isn't anything compared to a couple of hundred saving....plus esb or bord gais can change there standing charge in the morning. its just one of those things :)

As I said it would depend on whether you use a lot or a little electricity. ESB and bordgais dont make you sign contracts for 1 year where as airtricity do. Just make sure you do some calculations so that you know if you're really going to benefit from a % discount or not. I get a 15% discount on gas with Flogas and 13% discount on electricity with bordgais (standing charges are as normal) no 1 year contract required. Airtricity's plans would mean considerable more expensive bills on my usage then my current providers.

David, I don't pay by DD out of principle. Previously I was debited by €4000 instead of €400. This left me out of pocket until I proved there was a mistake by the utility company. I don't want any budget plans, I have never been in arrears, I pay all my bills on time using AIB 24 hour banking and have no DD with any company except my mortgage. Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

I was thinking of swapping over too..

There isn't any sillly deposits or anything is there, and will the bill date be the same as Bord Gais one now..

Just intrested in switching the Electricty..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

hi spk,

Do you work for Airtricity? Are you involved with them in any way?

It sounds to me like this person works for airtricity. I'm not interested in any correspondance with them or any other provider. Hopefully if I ignore them they will do away. This forum is for queries for ESB. I would like to move back, they gave gave me misleading information yesterday and I would like to correspond with them...

SPK wrote:
    David, I don't pay by DD out of principle. Previously I was debited by €4000 instead of €400. This left me out of pocket until I proved there was a mistake by the utility company. I don't want any budget plans, I have never been in arrears, I pay all my bills on time using AIB 24 hour banking and have no DD with any company except my mortgage. Sean

Sorry to hear that Sean. With an experience like that I can certainly appreciate your decision.

Direct debit is cost-effective from our point of view, and we are then able to pass on these savings in bulk to customers in the form of competitive price plans. That would be the basic summation of our rationale.

I regret I can't be of more help in this instance.
    There isn't any sillly deposits or anything is there, and will the bill date be the same as Bord Gais one now..

Hi diceyreilly,

Security deposits aren't a requirement if you are signed up by direct debit.

If you're interested in checking out the electricity-only price plans, we have information available online here.

Hope that helps, :)

Thanks,

David.

david I was wondering if you could set me straight on something. I was watching the midday show from yesterday and they said that the ESB electric ireland reductions dont actually come into effect until October. Is this correct?:)

Are you for real?
    Valid from April 4th 2011 until further notice....These discounts (including optional discounts) apply until March 31, 2012. Once these discounts expire, our applicable standard prices apply (which vary from time to time and which are determined by payment and billing method)

https://www.esbelectricireland.ie/switchchange/elecExisting.htm?execution=e1s1#five

Check the T&C's

Edit: She meant the free fuel allowance doesn't come in till october (and it's actually September when it comes in) and not the esb/electric ireland discount!

http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=midday&tv3_preview=&video=34330

ah ok thats grand, cheers for the clear up!!

and i just read through the previous posts, ive nothing to do with airtricity....im just a customer of theirs!

• Advertisement
Advertisement