Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't want to do Direct Debit

Options
  • 04-04-2011 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

heard about the price reductions - went online and found that i could only apply for reduced rates if I signed up for Direct Debit

Why ?

ESB is a public company that should benefit all its customers - not just those who have bank accounts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

Direct debit is not necessary for a disount. If your account is in good you qualify for an 8 perent discount and if you opt for online billing you get an extra 2 percent discount. Phone them on 1850 30 50 90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi jacko1,

As lasno says (thanks for the input, lasno! :)) there is an option which might suit you, as discussed here.

Thanks,
    Una

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Laramara

Folks,

In view of the negative publicity on the RTE News, I decided to check out the pricing plans on the ESB website. Standing Charge is shown PER DAY and it's whopping. This must be a mistake. The price plans are skewed in favour of the well off - how disgraceful to exclude those who are less able to pay and add to their hardship. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Laramara wrote:
    Standing Charge is shown PER DAY and it's whopping.

Afraid you're wrong there mate, none of the ESB standing charges have changed.

Airtricity on the other hand actually have a higher standing charge than ESB/Electric Ireland.
    Laramara wrote:
    how disgraceful to exclude those who are less able to pay and add to their hardship.

I'm not sure if they're advertising this price plan, but I've heard they do a special 'household budget' discount for those who find they aren't able to meet the full whack of their bills all in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 gmb

Maybe I am missing something but to me there is a simple logic

If I use a direct debit then it is cheaper for a company to service me as a customer therefore I receive a discount

If I don't use direct debit then payment processing is more expensive and there is a risk that I forget to pay my bills so I pay more

Why not simply open a bank account and receive the discount ? Isn't that avenue open to everyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

gmb wrote: »
    If I use a direct debit then it is cheaper for a company to service me as a customer therefore I receive a discount

If I don't use direct debit then payment processing is more expensive and there is a risk that I forget to pay my bills so I pay more
    Hi gmb :)

Yes, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. However, it is understandable that not everyone would be comfortable with a lump sum being debited from their bank account, so a way of minimising the impact of this would be to set up the direct debit but make manual payments at your own convenience - this would then reduce the amount of the next balance to be taken out.

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement