Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real Madrid Match Thread

Options
  • 04-04-2011 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

The last 8 of the European Cup, who would have thought. Real Madrid at the Bernabeu. Jose, Ronaldo all the trimmings....

Possible the biggest game since...well, a good while ago :D

What's seldom is wonderful, so let's enjoy..

P.S. 1-1 will do nicely :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I honestly believe that we will go through over the 2 legs. I reckon we'll either win this leg 1-0 or draw 1-1. For all Madrid's attacking talent I reckon they won't do much. I said at the start of the season I reckon we'd get to at least the QFs of the CL, well now I reckon we can go one step further. This Real team isn't that good. Mourinho, however, is. The only way I can see them beating us is if José completely outsmarts Harry in the tactical department, otherwise I'm predicting a 2 goal win over both legs. Real aren't that good at the back, and there weakest area by a distance is our strongest. Hopefully both Bale and Lennon will be fit and firing come Tuesday evening.

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

The problem is that we're far worse up front than they are at the back! Who's going to score the goals? Bale might play but how likely is it that he'll be fully fit? It'll be VDV and Crouch and we all know how many goals Crouch has scored. I'd say we'll do well to get a goal over there, and I'd worry that it will be the same situation in the return leg as we just can't put the ball in the net at the moment.

Unless something major happens to our strikers, I reckon it'll be 2 or 3 - 0 to Real in the first leg, 1 or 2 - 1 to us in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I reckon we'll beat them. In a way I'd like to be chasing them at the lane as we'll have nothing to loose.

I think it'll be 1-1 maybe 2-1 loss tomorrow. Which would be very doable at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

If we get a goal over there we'll have a great chance at WHL. Think we may go down 1-3 tomorrow night but it'll only be halftime them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Good news on Bale and Gallas

"Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp has confirmed Gareth Bale and William Gallas will be fit to face Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League".

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11675_6852977,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

It's been a while since we played a good game,hopefully tomorrow night we'll put in a performance and set ourselves up nicely for the second leg at the Lane.
    COYS..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Hearing stories of crowd trouble in Madrid (Police v Fans)
    Hope it not too serious, I hate all that rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Hearing stories of crowd trouble in Madrid (Police v Fans)
    Hope it not too serious, I hate all that rubbish.

Any media reports on line ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Forgot to give my predicted line-up.

Gomes
    Charlie - Dawson - Gallas - BAE
    Lennon - Palacios - Modric - Bale
    Van der Vaart
    Crouch

Team practically picks itself with all the injuries and what not. Only questionable area in defensive mid, Harry could just as easily pick Sandro (who was excellent for us against Milan) instead of either VDV or Palacios.

Don't really like the look of that midf but theres no reason why we cant dominate them in the middle. I don't think they have the players that retain possesion very well (á la United (in full swing), Barca, Arsenal) so we should create a good few chances. I just have a gut feeling we'll do very well tomorrow night..! Knowning my predictions though we'll probably get hammered 6-0:o:(!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Sandro instead of Palacios there THFC and that's the team for tomorrow night I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

sandro is prob first name on the teamsheet if hudd isnt fit

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd definitely take Sandro ahead of Palacios at the moment. He's been excellent in the defensive midfield position the last few games, and we will definitely need the help as Real will go at us from the start i'd say. I hope someone goes out and within 5 minutes gives Ronaldo a good kicking...just to piss him off and put him (hopefully) off his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Palacios is injured anyway I think

Harry Redknapp expects Gareth Bale to be fit to face Real Madrid in the first leg of our Champions League quarter-final on Tuesday night.
    Speaking at the Bernabeu this evening (Monday), the manager said Gareth should 'be fine' after overcoming a hamstring injury.
    "He's going to train tonight and if he's okay, he will play," said Harry.
    There was also good news on William Gallas in that the defender has made the trip out to Spain and will also train this evening. "We're hoping he's going to be fit."
    However, Steven Pienaar hasn't made the trip because of a groin injury and Niko Kranjcar is a late doubt after picking up a foot injury against Wigan on Saturday.
    Tom Huddlestone - back on the bench at Wigan - is in the squad but Alan Hutton (knee) Ledley King (groin), Jonathan Woodgate (groin), Younes Kaboul (thigh) and Wilson Palacios (knee) remain sidelined.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,742 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Any sort of an away goal will do. Even if it finish 3-1.. i'd take that back to WHL.

In an odd way, i think we'd be more worried if we came away with a score draw or a win. After that performance against milan at WHL I'd hate to see us trying to see out the game with such a slim lead at WHL in the return leg. We we to nervous against Milan and Mourinho and Madrid would tear us apart.

I'd rather we got them at WHL with nothing to lose and just throw caution to the wind like we did versus Young Boys

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

When you mention Young Boys Donkey who would have thought that when we were 3-0 down that there was even remotest possibility of this game. I do intend to try and enjoy this but am also bricking it a little :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

Come on you spurs!

if we get no further than this, then it's been a fantastic debut season regardless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Hots Purr

Really looking forward to this but so nervous too right now.

As VDV has just said on Sky Sports, 0-0 is such a dangerous scoreline for the home team going into the second leg but right now I'd take it :)

I'd gladly take 1-1, 2-1 to Real or even 3-1 as others have been saying with the away goal. But I do think an away goal is absolutely vital.

And yes, definitely rate Sandro over Palacios at the moment. Good to see Bale and Gallas in the starting line up too.

Enjoy the game lads, COYS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wheeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn theeeeeeeee spurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs...........

COYS :)

Lennon already out...Jenas on instead of him.

• Advertisement

Disaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Lads . Van der vaart is a liability . Giving the ball away. Going back to centre half for the ball. Now on a yellow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭van der vart

mickman wrote: »
    Lads . Van der vaart is a liability . Giving the ball away. Going back to centre half for the ball. Now on a yellow

take off V.D.V. and bring in Pav:mad:

Well, not much can be said about that start. Awful defending, even if Modric should have had a free kick before that corner. Then Crouch goes in for a tackle like that while already on a yellow (which was never a yellow). We've done alright since then, and have even had 2 good chances to score. Will be a miracle if we can finish it without conceeding again though.

I'm posting here, because if i go to the Soccer forum, i'll get myself banned...

Also, TV3 has possibly the worst studio team i've ever had to listed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭yidweiser

Hang in there lads.
    Reducing them to long rangers though.
    They are terrified of Bale.
    I'd give VDV a few more minutes and then bring on Super Pav (Young Boy Legend!) and he will give us an outlet.
    Another goal would hurt us though.
    Hopefully Lennon may come on as well and give them something to think about!
    MD was lucky!
    COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭philon

Kiith wrote: »
    Also, TV3 has possibly the worst studio team i've ever had to listed to.

and the 2 commentators are idiots !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭van der vart

Kiith wrote: »
    Well, not much can be said about that start. Awful defending, even if Modric should have had a free kick before that corner. Then Crouch goes in for a tackle like that while already on a yellow (which was never a yellow). We've done alright since then, and have even had 2 good chances to score. Will be a miracle if we can finish it without conceeding again though.

I'm posting here, because if i go to the Soccer forum, i'll get myself banned...

agree with everything, except the yellow, he deserved the first one, the long pratt

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭philon

Lennon, big loss so near KO, Upset all plans.
    No proper right side cover is giving Marcello way to much space, Charlie needs Help ( and that help isn't GB....leave him on the left).
    VDV off, Defoe on (better legs than Pav).

COYS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

Lennon not on bench apparently

Advertisement