Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

men only beauty salon in cork

Options
  • 04-04-2011 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hey guys:)

im thinking of opening a mens only beauty salon in cork. giving facials waxing tanning massages haircuts and everything women get in their salons. just wondering if the the people of cork think its a good idea.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Is there much of a market for it? I'm a girl so I wouldn't know :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rinuccini

no offence, but i dont imagine theres a market in the while thing. the other day i was out hiking with my friend, and he turned around to me and sais he'd love a massage except he thought ppl would think he was a gay. and he's pretty easy going about things. so i don't think youll have lads visiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

That is a terrible idea. Salons generally are closing down all over the country and that is with a key market - women. You will lose your shirt on this. Walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Olidolly

I wouldn't dismiss this out of hand completely. Last time I was having my nails done I was fascinated at the steady stream of males coming in to use the tanning beds. Mentioned it, and my manicurist said that 'you would be amazed at the number of men who come in'. It seems mainly for tanning and waxing. Not sure about facials but there may be scope for a men only outlet for tanning, waxing and haircuts at least.
    I may be wrong, but I have a vague memory that Susan Ryan (South Main St) opened a 'Men only' years ago. Pretty sure that it's gone now, but if you called to her, she's a very decent person, she may give you some feedback on this if she's out of the male market herself. She does still have a 'regular' salon on South. Main St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Olidolly wrote: »
    I wouldn't dismiss this out of hand completely.

I agree. I read that men are spending more on beauty products; I see the adverts and the products on the supermarket shelves though I have no personal experience of how many men are visiting or would like to visit salons.

But why make it men only? Excluding half your potential market. Make it more appealing and accessible to men but I suspect that female customers would provide the main revenue stream.

• Advertisement
Advertisement