Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempted break ins

Options
  • 04-04-2011 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi guys. Just wondering if anyone in the Roselawn, Delwood or surrounding areas has had an attempted break in recently?
    Sunday night, 3 weeks ago, a neighbours house alarm was set off. She turned it off, reset it and went back to bed. The following morning she noticed the back door had been forced open and the break in the magnetic sensor is what triggered the alarm when the door was opened. The guys obviously fled and got nothing.
    Last week I heard my dog barking at 4am. Then 2 mins later I heard my next door neighbours alarm going off. Looked out and saw two guys hopping over her wall. No doubt they tried my house then hers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Hi RTT

There was a thread over the last few months about house thefts and stolen cars in the locality.It looks like it wasn't just a passing phase.

This could become a very important thread starter.

Hope this post finds you well.

P3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The Gardai are really trying to get Neighbourhood Watch working functionally in D15. It amazes me how many people see stuff going on and don't ring the Gardai. Not referring to the OP here but we had a serious attack near us over Christmas that 4 people reported to the Management Company the following week but nobody reported it to the Gardai at the time.

We all need to be more vigilant and pro-active. It's not about getting physically involved, it's about keeping an eye out and ringing the Gardai. As the OP demonstrated, it's also about home security be it alarms or a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

athtrasna wrote: »
    The Gardai are really trying to get Neighbourhood Watch working functionally in D15. It amazes me how many people see stuff going on and don't ring the Gardai.
    Maybe people have been frustrated by the lack of response of the Gardai, or they don't want to bother them or they don't know that they can.

I have had a lot of experience of the first one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

In the past any Garda response I've experienced to minor crime was underwhelming tbh. Maybe its changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

We've had meetings with the community Gardai lately and they keep telling us to report, report, report.

In fairness IME they are pretty good at coming out but are dreadfully under-resourced given the pockets of high activity in D15, particularly at weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

I did call the Gardai. Obviously unless someone is actually in your house then more serious calls will get priority over a call whereby you just see someone in your garden. My brother had his jeep stolen Feb last year in Delwood. They broke in during the night and stole the keys. Last person to bed forgot to set the alarm. Turns out they put a bar through the letter box to push down the handle and opened the front door.
    Another night he heard the breaking of glass at 5am. Looked out and saw a guy leaning through the broken window of his house mates car and was removing the stereo. My brother rang the gardai and within 2 minutes they were there and caught the guy. They must have been closeby. Anyway the guy had 4 car stereos in his backpack. I thought the 80s were over to be honest but there must be a market for them.
    The thief was Lithuanian but failed to turn up for court the gardai informed us when we followed it up. Oh and I have nothing against Lithuanians by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

RTT wrote: »
    I did call the Gardai. Obviously unless someone is actually in your house then more serious calls will get priority over a call whereby you just see someone in your garden. My brother had his jeep stolen Feb last year in Delwood. They broke in during the night and stole the keys. Last person to bed forgot to set the alarm. Turns out they put a bar through the letter box to push down the handle and opened the front door.
    Another night he heard the breaking of glass at 5am. Looked out and saw a guy leaning through the broken window of his house mates car and was removing the stereo. My brother rang the gardai and within 2 minutes they were there and caught the guy. They must have been closeby. Anyway the guy had 4 car stereos in his backpack. I thought the 80s were over to be honest but there must be a market for them.
    The thief was Lithuanian but failed to turn up for court the gardai informed us when we followed it up. Oh and I have nothing against Lithuanians by the way.

This is actually quite worrying, I've recently moved into a new estate in Clonee and have been hearing the Police Helicopter a lot. It is quite true, though, that although the Gardai are telling us to report things, it's taking them longer than it should to react.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

recently in d15 i have been seeing alot of cars with broken windows taped up, one or 2 might not be suspicious but counted 4 in one hour last week,

keep ur valuables out of ur cars folks

My alarm went off there a few months ago. I was not staying at home when it happened. So i called the guards to say my alarm is going off in my house in. They told me that they dont call out for something like this. They will this time but otherwise they wont.

Anyway they didnt show .

My alarm went off there a few months ago. I was not staying at home when it happened. So i called the guards to say my alarm is going off in my house in. They told me that they dont call out for something like this. They will this time but otherwise they wont.

Anyway they didnt show .
    Our residents association had a meeting with the Superintendent in Blanchardstown Garda station a few years ago. We arranged it because of the lack of Community Gardai in the area.

He said we should not be afraid to run 999/112 as the details will be sent directly to Garda cars. The priority will of course determine how quickly they arrive but it means that you are not relying on someone in the Blanch station contacting the cars (obviously not a good reflection on those in the office).

He also suggested that adding "drama" to your call can help influence the priority your call is given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Anyway they didnt show .

Why would the Gardai waste their time checking this when 90%+ of triggered alarms are false (dodgy sensors, windows not closed properly etc.)? If the alarm is going off and you're reasonably confident it's working correctly then that's a different story.
    daymobrew wrote: »
    Our residents association had a meeting with the Superintendent in Blanchardstown Garda station a few years ago. We arranged it because of the lack of Community Gardai in the area.

He said we should not be afraid to run 999/112 as the details will be sent directly to Garda cars. The priority will of course determine how quickly they arrive but it means that you are not relying on someone in the Blanch station contacting the cars (obviously not a good reflection on those in the office).

He also suggested that adding "drama" to your call can help influence the priority your call is given.

I know you're just the messenger here, but it's pretty disgraceful that you have to talk up your incident to get seen to. Does this mean that good actors get priority responses?!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

back a few days from a good break only to find one of my sheds was broken into , over the last few days i've rang blanch stn and each time they've said they'll send out a car. still waiting though. should i leave it or pursue it. i know either way nothing will be done. but i feel if it's let go, it's another statistic not going down on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

back a few days from a good break only to find one of my sheds was broken into , over the last few days i've rang blanch stn and each time they've said they'll send out a car. still waiting though. should i leave it or pursue it. i know either way nothing will be done. but i feel if it's let go, it's another statistic not going down on paper.

First of all, sorry to hear about that. You should definitely report it. My house was broken into three years ago. I did report it and got the stuff back two weeks later. I know that rarely happens. Turns out the guys were caught for something else and came clean to my burglary too. Was there much stuff taken?

Documents it all and ask some local politicians to see why the response is so poor from the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

just paid a personal visit to the station and to cut a long story short they've no records of either of my calls. now in fairness the guard was bewildered and said she'd send a car down straight away.RTT luckily there was nothing taken, it looks like they were disturbed.

I've heard if you ring the station they don't/maynot record it. But if its rung through on the emergency number they have to record it. I don't know if that's true or not.

BostonB wrote: »
    I've heard if you ring the station they don't/maynot record it. But if its rung through on the emergency number they have to record it. I don't know if that's true or not.
    I would assume that 999/112 calls are recorded, though the 112.ie site doesn't say this.

The site says to call your local station for non-emergencies, but, as many of have experienced, this is unreliable.

Advertisement