Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP Home Security Malware

• 04-04-2011 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Hi

Apologies if this is in the wrong place or has been covered off already. If so, please just point me at a thread or sub-forum. We are stumped as to what to do next and would love some advice on either fixing it ourselves or having it done for us.

We (a small business) have somehow managed to get this XP Home Security 2011 malware. It hasn't done any damage but is blocking the use of firefox etc. We are running xp with service pack 3.

After a bit of googling, we downloaded malwarebyte but it wouldn't run on the machine. We changed the file name and it was still blocked; and then we restarted in safe mode with networking with the same negative results.

I went through the processes canceling anything that was "randomTLA.exe" - but after that once you go to run any programme it reactivates.

We don't have a current piece of anti-virus software running on the machine ( it is the only pc in a room full of macs).

Any thoughts on what to do? All help appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Start up in safe mode with networking by tapping f8 when the pc is starting up. Run rKill this will stop the virus running then run Malwarebytes as you mentioned above. This should fix it for now.

As for anti-virus I use Avira it is free and i find it quite good a lot of people recommend Microsoft security essentials which is also free. Only use one of these though along with malwarebytes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Start up in safe mode with networking by tapping f8 when the pc is starting up. Run rKill this will stop the virus running then run Malwarebytes as you mentioned above. This should fix it for now.

As for anti-virus I use Avira it is free and i find it quite good a lot of people recommend Microsoft security essentials which is also free. Only use one of these though along with malwarebytes.

thanks a million; i'll try this straight away.

edit: That worked a treat. downloading Avira at the moment. :-)

Advertisement