Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail install new boundary along Newcastle/Kilcoole line (Wicklow)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Stringman wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with the railway. Bird watch Ireland rope off the beach every year to stop people walking on the little tern nests in the stones, have beeen doing it for years.

The rope has nothing to do with Birdwatch Ireland's Little Tern conservation programme: http://littletern.webs.com/ and the location of the fence is nowhere near the colony which would not be active yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

JD thanks for that I visit Greystones quite often and I had never come across this project. I reckon IE are just acting the maggot to try and fence off the railway - I have walked that line for years, used to fish down near the old railway mens hut on the south beach just beyond the river about a mile down from the station back in the 1970s - lot more fish there then too. it was right old hall with half a gallon of ginger beer, 20 cheese sambos and a beachcaster. Worth it though.

Jeez westtip - it sure is a small world. I used to eat my egg and sardine sandwiches at the hut on the south end of the Breaches bridge. The beach along there was great for fishing - caught loads of Mackerel (and bloody dogfish) over the years. Good old CIE/IE, if there's a way to fxxx something up they'll find it.

Jeez westtip - it sure is a small world. I used to eat my egg and sardine sandwiches at the hut on the south end of the Breaches bridge. The beach along there was great for fishing - caught loads of Mackerel (and bloody dogfish) over the years. Good old CIE/IE, if there's a way to fxxx something up they'll find it.

Never caught mackerel off that point - off howth pier yes, and even off the malahide viaduct - used to fish that in the 1970s when you could just saunter down from the station. Lots of small codling, pollack and yes dogfish off the beach near the railway hut back in the 70s - beach fishermen at Greystones tell me its just a day out from the wife these days, but it was a mighty spot for beachcasting 35 years ago - there was something about the way the beach shelved at that point in particular.

I think I might of used one of your left behind sandwiches for bait one day - might good stuff. Me and my fishing mate used to shelter in that shed when the rain was driving in from the mountains and out to sea. There always seemed to be about 3 or 4 workers brewing up there at anytime during the day, they often gave us a cup of tea - I don't think much work was done. So somethings haven't actually changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

On visiting the breaches area yesterday, a lot of the new poles have been pulled up already.

good the peoples revolution - surprise Sky news not there with a 24 hour presence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

"People's revolution" or disrespect for rule of law? The way such things have turned out, it seems to invariably be the latter.

Anyone find the true property line? How fast would the guards scoop you up if you were walking adjacent to a motorway...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

If people are walking along the concrete section rather than along the shore, it seems rather too close to the railway line. I can see why Iarnród Éireann might be considering fencing the line off.

It isn't as if our railway network is free of incidents involving people, animals or objects ending up on the railway line with a train coming along. The attitudes expressed in the thread here are typical of the attitudes responsible for things not being done properly in this country.

Certainly it should perhaps be the case that a public pathway be installed alongside the railway, but I would have expected it would have to be further from the tracks than the existing concrete in the photos. That is what any concerned posters should be lobbying about, rather than lobbying for a right to walk right alongside an operational railway.

Zoney - this isn't inner city Dublin or Limerick where scumbags loiter, drinking and stoning trains, it is a relatively remote area of outstanding natural beauty and a sensitive ecological zone which needs the least human disturbance possible. I have never heard of any incident on this stretch of line and save for the two bridges - both short and with long distance visibility - the walkers are not too close to the railway. From a birdwatchers point of view it is essential to be able to cross from the beach to the marsh areas unimpeded. CIE can go taking a running jump...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Zoney - this isn't inner city Dublin or Limerick where scumbags loiter, drinking and stoning trains, it is a relatively remote area of outstanding natural beauty and a sensitive ecological zone which needs the least human disturbance possible. I have never heard of any incident on this stretch of line and save for the two bridges - both short and with long distance visibility - the walkers are not too close to the railway. From a birdwatchers point of view it is essential to be able to cross from the beach to the marsh areas unimpeded. CIE can go taking a running jump...

Outstanding Natural Beauty on the East Coast ? Nah.

/nasty dig about the litigious scutters on the line out to Mungret.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

CIE wrote: »

Anyone find the true property line? How fast would the guards scoop you up if you were walking adjacent to a motorway...?

"You wouldn't download a car...."

Motorways are relatively new, generations have not had an unimpeded path alongside them only to suddenly find one day that a shoddy excuse for a fence has popped up mostly alongside the path, but several times crossing it for no good reason.

Wicklow CoCo are planning to develop the coastal path between Greystones and Wicklow Town. Source

The vast majority of people have no problem with a fence alongside the railway which in addition to the signposts every 20m (what recession!) will remind people that walking on the railway can be fatal.

What people have a problem with is the manner in which this fence has been erected, not always in a straight line, but zig zagging across the path (likely due to those who put the poles into the ground encountering rock underneath the surface at some points).

I walked it at the weekend and met well over a hundred people along the way. Unless IE plan on a costly CCTV installation, or wasting Garda time having them walk it, they would be wise to tidy the fence to the side of the railway.

Interesting post Stop but I wouldn't hold my breath while I wait for Wicklow Co.Council to develop anything. That said, the entire coastal strip between Wicklow and Greystones is a sensitive ecological area and 'developing' it i.e. encouraging pedestrian traffic through the provision of additional car parking, picnic areas etc is seriously misguided IMO - this is not Brittas Bay. There are plenty of other places for a good walk in County Wicklow without encouraging every man and his dog into this area - especially during the breeding season for seabirds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I see some clown decided to pull up a lot of the spikes on the newcastle side of the railway bridge, and left them flat on the ground. It was bad enough the boundary, but now I've 3 foot long metal spikes to avoid on the bike!!!
    KK_Newc3.jpg

It wasn't me. I would have buried the evidence. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Railway Gazette 02 May 2011: Magnetic separation
    SAFETY: The use of temporary fences to protect worksites is becoming more common, as railways come under pressure to keep busy lines open during maintenance and upgrading work. Such fences are typically secured to spikes driven into the ground or clipped to adjacent tracks.

The RSS magnetic safety fence is very simply and quickly attached to the web of the nearest running rail using magnets with a tensile force up to 600 kg/N. Each L-shaped galvanised steel stanchion is kinked around the rail fastening to rest on a sleeper, which thus carries the weight of the fence and ensures an even spacing of the supports at around 3 m intervals. Lightweight aluminium or plastic poles in 4 m sections with quick-locking insulated joints are clipped to the uprights to complete the fence. Removal is just as quick, as the stanchions can be lifted to twist the magnet away from the rail.

RSS has designed a trailer-mounted transport frame which can carry components for 1440 m of fence. The system was approved by safety authorities in the Netherlands last year, and it is currently being tested by TÜV for use in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

I've enjoyed cycling a trail that runs alongside the rosslare line between Kilcoole and Newcastle for many years. This weekend I arrive to find most of it is now behind a new boundary that Irish rail had put up during the week :mad:. Apart from looking completely crap, its only going to encourage people to walk on the inside section of the rope as thats where the path is. Who makes these decisions, I was talking to the lads still working on it and they said planning is not needed?
    02042011880.jpg
    02042011878.jpg

it looks like the fence was put there for the public saftey . If you walk or cycle along that bit in the top pic you would be classed as being lineside and be a danger to yourself . Im suprised that a higher wall hasnt been built along that stretch as kid or anyone playing on that beach could run or walk into the path of an oncoming train whilst fetching something that went on the line. If that happened, Irish Rail would be the big bad monster and people on here would be up in arms demanding answers.

The line has been like that for 150+ years and I've never heard of any incidents along it - try reading the thread before posting. Also you obviously don't know the stretch of line or you wouldn't have mentioned cycling from block to block which would be impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The line has been like that for 150+ years and I've never heard of any incidents along it - try reading the thread before posting. Also you obviously don't know the stretch of line or you wouldn't have mentioned cycling from block to block which would be impossible.

It has but to be fair the 22k trains are far quieter than any train that has run along that line - it's quite easy not to hear them if they are coming from behind until they are beside you (emphasis on beside!!).

I imagine that's part of the reason for this.

lxflyer wrote: »
    It has but to be fair the 22k trains are far quieter than any train that has run along that line - it's quite easy not to hear them if they are coming from behind until they are beside you (emphasis on beside!!).

I imagine that's part of the reason for this.

Yes, but as has been said before, people do not walk along the railway line as it is far easier underfoot on the path or from block to block in places. CIE/IE already treat areas of outstanding beauty such as the Bray/Greystones section with little respect for the environment, and they shouldn't be allowed to in this case.

• Advertisement

I read the thread. Just because its been like that for 150 years and that you havent heard of an incident doesnt mean that there wont be any in the future. Where do i mention cycling from block to block? Be a good boy and read my post properly before making a fool out of yourself.
    Dont be giving out about a fence going up when you have the whole beach to walk on.

I read the thread. Just because its been like that for 150 years and that you havent heard of an incident doesnt mean that there wont be any in the future. Where do i mention cycling from block to block? Be a good boy and read my post properly before making a fool out of yourself.
    Dont be giving out about a fence going up when you have the whole beach to walk on.

'it looks like the fence was put there for the public saftey . If you walk or cycle along that bit in the top pic you would be classed as being lineside and be a danger to yourself . Im suprised that a higher wall hasnt been built along that stretch as kid or anyone playing on that beach could run or walk into the path of an oncoming train whilst fetching something that went on the line. If that happened, Irish Rail would be the big bad monster and people on here would be up in arms demanding answers.' From your post #48 ....try reading your own post like a good boy! :p

PS Do you know the area or are just posting here for an argument? Incidentally, it is not a wall that is in top picture it is concrete blocks chained together to prevent coastal erosion not prevent ball playing children encroaching on the line.

'it looks like the fence was put there for the public saftey . If you walk or cycle along that bit in the top pic you would be classed as being lineside and be a danger to yourself . Im suprised that a higher wall hasnt been built along that stretch as kid or anyone playing on that beach could run or walk into the path of an oncoming train whilst fetching something that went on the line. If that happened, Irish Rail would be the big bad monster and people on here would be up in arms demanding answers.' From your post #48 ....try reading your own post like a good boy! :p

PS Do you know the area or are just posting here for an argument? Incidentally, it is not a wall that is in top picture it is concrete blocks chained together to prevent coastal erosion not prevent ball playing children encroaching on the line.

Still doesnt mention where i said cycling on the blocks :) It doesnt matter if i know the area or not, Irish rail are still justified in putting up the fence in the interest of saftey but then again, you dont care about saftey do you.
    Oh, i know what the blocks are for :)

Of course I'm concerned with safety but in this case it is an OTT reaction to a non-existent problem. I repeat, it is an area of outstanding natural beauty/ecological importance, used by small numbers of walkers/birdwatchers/fishermen - Brittas Bay it is not - and CIE/IE should not be allowed to be do whatever they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Still doesnt mention where i said cycling on the blocks :) It doesnt matter if i know the area or not, Irish rail are still justified in putting up the fence in the interest of saftey but then again, you dont care about saftey do you.
    Oh, i know what the blocks are for :)

The OP mentioned cycling along the trail in his/her post.

Of course I'm concerned with safety but in this case it is an OTT reaction to a non-existent problem. I repeat, it is an area of outstanding natural beauty/ecological importance, used by small numbers of walkers/birdwatchers/fishermen - Brittas Bay it is not - and CIE/IE should not be allowed to be do whatever they like.

How is it OTT? Are they not allowed to do whatever they want on their own property in the interest of safety? The only thing that is OTT is the reaction to a bit of rope on metal spikes that cordons off a section that has worn away .

lxflyer wrote: »
    The OP mentioned cycling along the trail in his/her post.

Trail yes, along the blocks no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I've lived in the area all my life, and a walk from kilcoole beach down to the breaches is one of my favourite things to do if I have a bit of free time. Very disappointed to see the signage put up - I understand the concerns for irish rail, but the frequency at which they've installed the signs is ridiculous. The beauty of the area for me was due to its isolation from manmade structures, and with those loud signs every 50m a significant part of that experience has been ruined for me. I certainly wouldnt like to see the area meddled with much more, so I really hope irish rail aren't just testing the water for more intrusive measures.

How is it OTT? Are they not allowed to do whatever they want on their own property in the interest of safety? The only thing that is OTT is the reaction to a bit of rope on metal spikes that cordons off a section that has worn away .

Right so, the rope and signs are going to draw peoples attention to the fact that there's an operational railway there that they wouldn't have otherwise noticed? :rolleyes: There is little point in arguing with you any further as you don't know the area, don't appear to have appreciation of the largely unspoilt nature of the terrain and are arguing for the sake of it. I know the area and I am a nature lover so that's my reason for arguing against CIE/IE's actions.

• Advertisement

You are the one that is arguing and i know the area well enough and your over reaction to a a few sings and a bit of rope is laughable seeing that it has no impact on nature there :)

Advertisement