Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail install new boundary along Newcastle/Kilcoole line (Wicklow)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It was only after I posted my last reply that it dawned on me that another of my pet hates - graffiti and consequent line trespass - ties in nicely with this thread. Just back from Dublin this afternoon and the state of the DART line from Greystones into Connolly is as bad as ever - everything that doesn't move is coated in graffiti and much of it done from people clearly using the railway for access. Stations, lineside equipment, mileposts, bridges, lineside cutting walls (including between Dun Laoghaire and Sandycove), private houses etc.etc. If CIE/IE are suddenly getting worried about people getting mown down by trains let them start where there clearly is a problem rather than going for overkill in an area where some official thinks there might be one. And Pineapple_stu you will note that I raise the safety issue with Dick Fearn here: http://irishrailways.blogspot.com/2011/05/blog-post.html back in 2005. How many times have you written to CIE/IE re.safety or anything else for that matter? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Its hardly overkill now is it. You seem to wanting to be making an issue out of nothing here.
    Im in daily contact with Irish rail with saftey being a major factor :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

You are the one that is arguing and i know the area well enough and your over reaction to a a few sings and a bit of rope is laughable seeing that it has no impact on nature there :)

Well you haven't been there recently, because nobody would class 4 metre high signs, installed every 50 metres for a 3 mile section of the line as having no impact. For some reason you talked earlier about the blocks being too close to the line, however in my first photo, I was highlighting the stupid variance of the rope being beside the blocks, to the rope going 6/7 metres into the beach and hence cutting the cycle trail. Anyway, its impossible to cycle there anymore with the stakes lying all over the place. Thanks Irish Rail.

An impact on what? nature or your view ?

An impact on what? nature or your view ?

Listen, come back when you've been there.

• Advertisement

Thats a poor argument:) On what basis do you assume that i havent been there? :)

I know the area very well :)

Come back when you have something more convincing to complain about. ;)

Thats a poor argument:) On what basis do you assume that i havent been there? :)

I find that hard to believe judging from your previous posts.

Does it matter if you believe or not ? Its not xmas :).

You dont know me, you dont know where i live or where im from, you dont know where i work or where that work takes me. In a nutshell, you know nothing about me to make any judgements to if i know the area or not :).

Provide a solid argument to how the signs and fence has an affect on nature and dont base your whole argument on that it spoils your view :)

It will be fully fenced in a few weeks so dont worry about it :)

I gather from your tone you're here to rise people up. My complaint in the original post is my issue. Take time to read it. As for the you dont know me stuff, this is not after hours.

Does it matter if you believe or not ? Its not xmas :).

You dont know me, you dont know where i live or where im from, you dont know where i work or where that work takes me. In a nutshell, you know nothing about me to make any judgements to if i know the area or not :).

Provide a solid argument to how the signs and fence has an affect on nature and dont base your whole argument on that it spoils your view :)

It will be fully fenced in a few weeks so dont worry about it :)

6a00d8341c2c3f53ef010536f6fe09970b-120wi

• Advertisement

Still no argument :)

Just because i dont agree with you and the other chap, you think im here to get a rise out of people. Thats a poor response.

You are under the impression that Irish rail have done it just to annoy you or just did it just for the sake of it? Trust me, they didnt.

So you cant cycle down that bit of the path, so what? Is it a proper path or one that has been made over time ?
    Your only grievience is the path fenced off when you have the whole beach to walk on :)

Just because i dont agree with you and the other chap, you think im here to get a rise out of people. Thats a poor response.

You are under the impression that Irish rail have done it just to annoy you or just did it just for the sake of it? Trust me, they didnt.

So you cant cycle down that bit of the path, so what? Is it a proper path or one that has been made over time ?
    Your only grievience is the path fenced off when you have the whole beach to walk on :)

You say 'so what' when I discuss a cycle track that I've been using regularly for twenty years, thats clever. You also miss my point in that I couldn't care less if they installed a boundary, but one that runs consistantly along the line, and not one that juts out 6/7 metres as the lads where too lazy to use a hammer when the tractor couldnt reach.

Since you're in the know you can tell us, what is Irish Rails plan for the line...hopefully it involves more brain cells than the previous effort.

Before
    before.jpg
    After
    after.jpg

Some of those signs will find their way to eBay and the rest....:D

My last response to you on this topic - try reading my previous posts before making a fool out of yourself any further.

My last response to you on this topic - try reading my previous posts before making a fool out of yourself any further.

Nope, you still arnt making a valid argument :).

You say 'so what' when I discuss a cycle track that I've been using regularly for twenty years, thats clever. You also miss my point in that I couldn't care less if they installed a boundary, but one that runs consistantly along the line, and not one that juts out 6/7 metres as the lads where too lazy to use a hammer when the tractor couldnt reach.

Since you're in the know you can tell us, what is Irish Rails plan for the line...hopefully it involves more brain cells than the previous effort.

Before
    before.jpg
    After
    after.jpg

Its going to be fenced off 5 meters out from the end of the sleepers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Surely they can't legally do this as over the years of use and being left open to use this track will have become a public right of way with all the rights this confers on the public?

The public have no right to be lineside unless they are Irish rail staff or working on behalf of Irish rail and have an Irish Rail member of staff with them . Up to 7.5 meters from the rail is Irish Rail property so they can do what they want with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

Looks like the 'public' gives CIE too much money. They seem to have too many people working on too many stupid projects.

The public have no right to be lineside unless they are Irish rail staff or working on behalf of Irish rail and have an Irish Rail member of staff with them . Up to 7.5 meters from the rail is Irish Rail property so they can do what they want with it.
    Lol they can't just close off public rights of way. They allowed(by not restricting) access for over a hundred years so there is definitely grounds for stopping their current plan, And even a public safety argument is negated now since the warning signs went up.

• Advertisement

The permanent way is not a public right of way and they are only fencing off their own property and not blocking any public right of way.

Im laughing at JD thanking every post :)

How much of the beach do you want ?

lil5 wrote: »
    Looks like the 'public' gives CIE too much money. They seem to have too many people working on too many stupid projects.

You base that on what?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

The permanent way is not a public right of way and they are only fencing off their own property and not blocking any public right of way.

Im laughing at JD thanking every post :)

How much of the beach do you want ?

Stop trying to get a rise out of people.

As I see it, no-one has a problem with IE erecting a fence of some kind, as long as it runs paralell to the line, and not in a zig-zag pattern across a well used path.
    The signs every ??m look a bit excessive, more warnings in areas where people enter onto the path around Newcastle/Kilcoole would have looked a lot better.

The permanent way is fine if people are barred access but where there has never been fences then the right of way is created by years of people using different paths and going about their business. This right of way is more powerful than any bits of paper or permanent way Irish rail claim ownership of.

Its going to be fenced off 5 meters out from the end of the sleepers.
    That would be a costly project, I would seriously doubt the budget exists for that.

stop wrote: »
    Stop trying to get a rise out of people.

As I see it, no-one has a problem with IE erecting a fence of some kind, as long as it runs paralell to the line, and not in a zig-zag pattern across a well used path.
    The signs every ??m look a bit excessive, more warnings in areas where people enter onto the path around Newcastle/Kilcoole would have looked a lot better.

Indeed, a bit of thought would have gone a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That would be a costly project, I would seriously doubt the budget exists for that.

Presumably it is being funded from the rail safety programme which is an ongoing project across the network.

We don't know that the final fencing will zig-zag. Looking at the signs in the pictures they appear to be in a straight line, so with some sense the final fencing will line up with them.

The question is, is there a need for fencing - the answer is no. Why not police the out of control trespass situation on the DART network where there is a real problem? Surprised there's nobody from the Nature & Birdwatching Forum who is exercised by this fencing operation - I tried to open a thread there but it was closed. :(

lxflyer wrote: »
    Presumably it is being funded from the rail safety programme which is an ongoing project across the network.

We don't know that the final fencing will zig-zag. Looking at the signs in the pictures they appear to be in a straight line, so with some sense the final fencing will line up with them.

It will be in a straight line.

• Advertisement

The question is, is there a need for fencing - the answer is no. Why not police the out of control trespass situation on the DART network where there is a real problem? Surprised there's nobody from the Nature & Birdwatching Forum who is exercised by this fencing operation - I tried to open a thread there but it was closed. :(

The answer is yes,there are too many people using the line as a public footpath.

What has it got to do with nature and birdwatching?

Advertisement