Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VODie - RTE, TV3, Tg4 and Magnet available on iOS with XBMC

• 04-04-2011 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭aledoux

• Just used the latest Jailbreak 4.3.1 on my iPad using latest PwnageTool
    • Installed XBMC for iOS and OpenSSH (Restart of iPad is needed for OpenSSH)
    • SSH'ed the latest VODie zip file to "/var/mobile" on iPad using SFTP client (Cyberduck or FileZilla)
    • Launch XBMC
    • Go to Videos -> Video Add-ons -> Get More... -> .. -> .. -> Install from zip file
    • Browse to /var/mobile which should be the default.
    • Select zip file
    • Tap OK
    • VODie is now installed and accessible from Videos -> Video Add-ons ->VODie - Video On Demand Ireland
    • You can now remove the zip file from /var/mobile
    • You can also uninstall OpenSSH to avoid SSH to be running and draining battery.

VODie is also working on Apple TV Gen 1 and should be working on Apple TV Gen 2 (Need to test it.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Sorry to go off topic but have you a link for the jailbreak you used for the ipad1 please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Do you need 4.3.1 to run this hack, don't fancy updating from 4.01.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

You don't need to jailbreak to watch those channels. Just sign up for a free Magnet Web TV account.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭aledoux

ComeraghBlue: I keep up to date on iOS through iclarified.com

acalmenvoy: Looks like 4.01 is not supported for XBMC

jakdublin: VODie allows you watch RTE Player, Tv3 Catchup and Tg4 and also allows you to watch live TV through MagnetWebTV which I agree you dont need to JB your iOS device for that. All Flash based TV catchup (RTE, TV3, TG4) dont work on iOS AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

Sorry to go off topic but have you a link for the jailbreak you used for the ipad1 please?

http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/

Take your pic from those three. No jailbreak works for iPad 2...yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Thanks lads just finished the jailbreak
    Thanks to the poster who informed me of the magnet tv site, seems they'v updated the site to work on iOS devices :) but the OP has kindly also given clear instructions to get things like rte player etc, I won't be putting the iPad down for a few days ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

aledoux wrote: »

jakdublin: VODie allows you watch RTE Player, Tv3 Catchup and Tg4 and also allows you to watch live TV through MagnetWebTV which I agree you dont need to JB your iOS device for that. All Flash based TV catchup (RTE, TV3, TG4) dont work on iOS AFAIK.

So rte catchup and tv3 catchup do not work even with the OPs instructions and after jail breaking your iPad ?

Incidentally rte player international,tg4 catch up and some tv3 catch content will work via the app iswifter available for iPad via iTunes. Unfortunately it's routed through the US so you only get access to the restricted internationally available content on catch up sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

<edit> http://magnetwebtv.ie </edit>

also works on Apple Tv 2 with Couch Surfer Pro Web Browser

http://www.appletvhacks.net/2011/03/25/atv-flash-black-beta4-for-apple-tv-2-now-available/

(just set your agent to 'ipad')

I am a bit confused.

ComeraghBlue, what do you mean by "the OP has kindly also given clear instructions to get things like rte player etc". Is there a way to get RTE Player working on iPad ?

_Whimsical_: What do you mean by "So rte catchup and tv3 catchup do not work even with the OPs instructions and after jail breaking your iPad ?"

Bambam: You are talking about Magnet Web TV right ? not the RTE Player, TV3 and TG4 players ?

I am a bit confused.

ComeraghBlue, what do you mean by "the OP has kindly also given clear instructions to get things like rte player etc". Is there a way to get RTE Player working on iPad ?

_Whimsical_: What do you mean by "So rte catchup and tv3 catchup do not work even with the OPs instructions and after jail breaking your iPad ?"

Bambam: You are talking about Magnet Web TV right ? not the RTE Player, TV3 and TG4 players ?

Well for my part I was suffering the same confusion as you. In your earlier post you mentioned that rte iplayer etc did not work on iOS due to being flash based.ComeraghBlue seemed to say these sites did work with the instructions in your first post. I was looking for clarification as to whether they work or not.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

@aledoux

yep I meant magnetwebtv.ie

Yeah the confusion started with posters saying Magnet Web TV already works on iPad. Whereas RTE, TV3 and TG4 players aren't because they are Flash based.

XBMC which is a Media Center originally for XBox and now ported to multiple platforms (including Apple TV, Apple TV2, iPad, iPhone) and supports RTMP(E) which is what most TV Provider uses to stream catchup and Live video content through Flash Players.

VODie is a plugin for XBMC to browse content from RTE, TV3 and TG4 player and play it through XBMC without needing Flash. On top of that, to put all those things in the same "bag", Magnet Web TV has been added to VODie so that the full Irish TV Content is accessible in the same place.

Now using XBMC as a Media Center is a choice that some people might not agree with but if it brings all the entertainment in 1 place why not ? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

is it possible to watch any of these channels on an iphone 4?

Yeah the confusion started with posters saying Magnet Web TV already works on iPad. Whereas RTE, TV3 and TG4 players aren't because they are Flash based.

XBMC which is a Media Center originally for XBox and now ported to multiple platforms (including Apple TV, Apple TV2, iPad, iPhone) and supports RTMP(E) which is what most TV Provider uses to stream catchup and Live video content through Flash Players.

VODie is a plugin for XBMC to browse content from RTE, TV3 and TG4 player and play it through XBMC without needing Flash. On top of that, to put all those things in the same "bag", Magnet Web TV has been added to VODie so that the full Irish TV Content is accessible in the same place.

Now using XBMC as a Media Center is a choice that some people might not agree with but if it brings all the entertainment in 1 place why not ? ;)

Thanks a million for that post. It was very clear . :)
    barryd09 wrote: »
    is it possible to watch any of these channels on an iphone 4?

Yes, you can use all of the advise in the OPs post and use the magnet website mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Anyone got this working on the latest ATV software (4.4.4)?

When I go to run the program it says "Script Failed".

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭liamf

quarryman wrote: »
    Anyone got this working on the latest ATV software (4.4.4)?

When I go to run the program it says "Script Failed".

Are you using my fork from https://github.com/liamf/VODieR

The original isn't maintained. I forked it some time ago: AFAIK it's working fine on ATV2 - I haven't got one to check, but it works on Windows/Linux.

There are some limitations, see the issues on Github.

Regards
    Liam

Just to let you know a xbmc coder called doctormo has completely rewritten the plugin and RTE catchup is now working again. He's looking for a donation in order to get the plugin fully as it was (live channels etc). It's fifty bucks and he doesn't mind how many people it's split between so if we could find fifty $1 donors we're in business!

I've had a chat with doctormo and I think his approach is worth encouraging. His RTE player rewrite is cleaner than the original, leverages work on RSS parsing done and maintained by someone else, and should be easier to keep running.

I simply don't have the time to do it (and $50 wouldn't encourage me to find the time either. I don't get out of bed for less than ... never mind)

There is also a new pull request on github which supposedly fixes AerTV for the VODie 1.1.3 codebase. I will check that out later this afternoon and if it works, merge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

A donation? Is he serious? Me and the guys down at XBMCHub do a lot more for the xbmc community and we don't ask for anything with site that can't be named plug in, my real hulu plug in. It's not a donation if you don't release the code before you get it, that's how you pay for things.

I have a version 2.0 of VODie and I will happily put it up on my repo which is available in the XBMCHub fusion installer.

To be fair the plugin was there broken for months before he got involved. I seem to remember someone asking Mikey at XBMCHub to fix it but he didn't know how to fix AerTV IIRC. But by all means put your VODie on the fusion or your repo!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 irish32

Thanks guys would be great to have working add-ons.

Right,

I merged a couple of pull requests from nickhx on my VODie repos
    (the 1.1.3 codebase)

Status of that 1.1.3m version, as of now, from Ireland, as far as I can tell:

* Live AerTV free channels (RTE1/2, TV3, 3e ...) work
    * TV3 works
    * RTE ~episode based~ stuff works, Live does not (in the RTE player) due to changes, so I removed it from the menu

RTE is still done the "bad" way - I like doctormo's code a lot more and it will be more maintainable going forward. The original code which i have hacked about is a bit of a madra.

I personally don't have a problem at all with him getting donations for doing ongoing work on a replacement for the 1.1.3 codebase. Fair play to him, say I. The 1.1.3 code is freely available for anyone to look at and improve, and not that many have done so.

Anyhoo, 1.1.3m published, thanks for nickhx for the AerTV fixes.

liam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

liamf wrote: »
    Right,

(the 1.1.3 codebase)

* TV3 works
    * RTE ~episode based~ stuff works, Live does not (in the RTE player) due to changes, so I removed it from the menu

RTE is still done the "bad" way - I like doctormo's code a lot more and it will be more maintainable going forward. The original code which i have hacked about is a bit of a madra.

I personally don't have a problem at all with him getting donations for doing ongoing work on a replacement for the 1.1.3 codebase. Fair play to him, say I. The 1.1.3 code is freely available for anyone to look at and improve, and not that many have done so.

liam

Good man Liam

I uploaded your plugin to my repo xtream-media which is available on the fusion installer under video->repositories->realhulu-repository.googlecode.xtream-media.zip, it's on version 1.14 now as I had the old version and this will push the update to anyone using that.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

liamf wrote: »
    Right,

(the 1.1.3 codebase)

* TV3 works

liam

any chance of a link to a download for my apple tv 2

I don't have an ATV of any description, so I don't know what you need to install on that platform.

Can't you just grab the stuff from https://github.com/liamf/VODieR and then do some <insert magic here> to make it install on your ATV?

princemuzzy the post just before yours says it's on Fusion as well which may be easier for you.

is this add-on geo blocked?

Some of the services, yes, as far as I know.

Possibly all of them.

It is a while since I tried from outside of Ireland.

For interest's sake, I will try tommorrow.

• Advertisement

thanks liam, I know it did work back in May or June, was abale to watch live aertv

Advertisement