Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for recommendations: new GP in Maynooth

Options
  • 04-04-2011 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,

We've been going to Dr G's practice in the Glenroyal SC since we moved here 5 years ago, but I really want to change. I liked the female Dr (Maguire) who was there for a while but I think she's gone again. We've 2 kids, a toddler and a 9 year old, so would like a Dr who's good with children (lots of experience with ear infections etc). It would have to be someone who opens on evenings & weekends. I've done a search on the forum but the threads are old and I know things have probably changed since 2008!

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I find primacare good and good for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Have found the one on Main St to be a disaster for the past 2 years, can't get a call back from a doctor, can't get blood results, can't have blood results posted to me, plus the snottiest young one of a receptionist I've ever encountered. Seriously she's like one of those old school doctors receptionists with a serioius superiority thing going on.

Have I had trouble there - yes. Have I changed doctors - yes. I'm now with the Leinster Clinic out past the college on the Kilcock Rd (recommended to me by my sister in law who has 3 kids), not great opening hours, but I can get a phone call from a doctor and have had no issues. They book you in by appointment too, so if you ring at 9am, they'll book you in for 10am and no sitting in a waiting room all morning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

We're with Dr. O'Rourke in Kingsbry. Been with him for years now - he's great with the kids. He is open Saturday mornings and some evenings.

http://www.orourke.ie/Opening%20Hours.html

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

+1 for Dr Neville Wilson of Leinster clinic.
    No waiting about.
    Honest, straight to the point and no bullsh1t
    Not afraid to examine you properly & 'get his hands dirty' (unlike the idiot in Celbridge).
    Doesn't waste your money in useless treatments.

Only downside is the hours, but if you have a REAL problem he will visit you beyond normal hours as well (personal experience of this).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've used Christy O'Rourke since I was a kid myself, he does have a female GP in the practice too but I can't remember her name as the one that was there for ages moved out to Johnstownbridge IIRC.

The surgery on the main street is in a bit of a flux at the moment due to the main GP there dying; the other GP was his wife so... last time I checked it was just locum GPs so you'd have very little continuity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I've been having issues with the one on the Main St for years, finally their ultra low prices €30 a visit weren't enough to keep me going back.

MYOB wrote: »
    I've used Christy O'Rourke since I was a kid myself, he does have a female GP in the practice too but I can't remember her name as the one that was there for ages moved out to Johnstownbridge IIRC.

It's Claire O'Neill - but she's only there one or two days a week iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Fragglefur

Dr Neville Wilson in Leinster Clinic. Lovely man, very patient and understanding. Great with children and seems to really care.

Macros42 wrote: »
    It's Claire O'Neill - but she's only there one or two days a week iirc

She was the one that moved, unless she's back...

She never 100% left. She still covered occasionally. But now she's rostered.

• Advertisement

Shows how rarely I'm in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jccf2003

This is fantastic, thanks a million for all the recommendations :) We're closer to Kingsbry so we'll probably try Dr O'Rourke because of that and the opening hours.

Many thanks again!

Advertisement