Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cairns to Syd in July

Options
  • 04-04-2011 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

I'm gonna take holidays and hit the east coast in July. Basically I am going to fly to Cairns and then drive back down to Syd. I actually want to do the drive, so I'm not going to go the contiki route. I looked at the relocation options also though I don't want to be tied to time.

So basically I was thinking of hiring a motorhome or campervan, thinking that this will save on hostels etc. Though they are coming our pretty expensive in the region of $3-4k for 3 weeks.

Does anyone have any recommendations?. Is a campervan the right way to go or whats the best company to go with?. Also if anyone has a suggested itinerary it would be most welcome.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Most places do not allow you to park your campervan overnight in carparks. You risk getting fined by the local ranger. But the cost of parking a campervan in a caravan park everynight is not cheap either. I have never hired one but my friends did. They really enjoyed the experience but found that it was expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yeah I did it in a Hiace campervan over 28 days, sure give me a shout sometime and I'll tell ya about it over a beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I've done that trip using http://www.standbyrelocs.com/ and saved loads. I'd recommend taking a campervan from Cairns to Brisbane, hire a car cheap to sight see in that area and then take another relocation down to Sydney. From what's on the site at the moment the later you leave it to book one the more time they give you to get there.

Otherwise you could try your luck with cars left outside hostels that sometimes are given away. However they could be on their last legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

if i manage to save enough money i was thinking about doing the same next year with the g/f, (i still live in ireland), i was looking at wicked campers, very basic (no shower,or toilet) but they are cheap,

if you do this trip please keep us updated:) any details welcome,

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nicmarie

Im doing Cairns to melbourne for 6 weeks from may to june andi booked my campervan last week :D. 2 of us are going in 1 and my other 2 friends are going in another one. Its costing us 2800 for the 6 weeks which is only 1400 each!!! sorry this is in dollars so obviously less in euro! i think thats pretty good since hostels would cost 30-50 dollars a night! just need to plan the trip now! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement