Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vodaphone dropping connection

• 04-04-2011 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭

I hope someone can help me and apologies if this has already been asked before. I have a broadband account with vodafone and I am using a eircome nepopia router.. the last few days the DSL line light keeps going red (though the home line is ok) and I am losing internet connection. the eircom page comes up saying the DSL is down.. When the green light comes back on I am up again.. its happening every few minutes and more an more often now... Is there a problem with the router? it is an old one.. and if I need to get it replaced..what would be a good one.. internet connection is always much slower in the evening with vodaphone..

thanks for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Do this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54381143&postcount=6

Login to your router on 192.168.1.254, click expert mode, statistics, dsl. We need your line stats from your Netopia before and after, paste the results here.

Maybe you should ask a mod to move this thread to the broadband forum, a flickering dsl light means disconnections, nothing to do with wireless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭rainyrun

Connection Information
    DSL
    Available eircom broadband
    Connected
    User Name
    vodafone@vodafone.ie
    IP Address
    IP Gateway
    Primary DNS Server
    ns2.vodafone.ie
    Secondary DNS Server
    ns1.vodafone.ie
    Speed
    7168/384 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation
    18/12 dB

Router Information
    Router Name
    Netopia
    Model
    2247-02
    Serial Number
    MAC Address
    00:1f:c4:8a:e7:00
    Software Version
    7.8.0r2
    Warranty Date
    11/27/2008
    Local Network
    IP Address
    Ethernet
    Connected
    Wireless
    Operational
    Privacy
    WPA - PSK
    Wireless ID (SSID)
    eircom4257 4304 (broadcast)
    thats what is saying when its up and running...

when its down it is saying DSL down in red letters and then there are a lot of zero values one everything.. will try and copy and paste.
    I have changed the cable between modem and wall socket.. I did discover that our second sky ty did not have a splitter on the line so have put a filter on that.. I changed the filter at the main socket in case that was faulty.. have not touched the first sky tv filter.. there is nothing else on the phone line.. we used to have eircom phonewatch but disabled that ages ago...I have not rang vodaphone yet as i wanted to fix it as much as possible myself.. and as a last resort will see if there is a problem with the line
    I have turned modem off completely and pulled all cables out and put them all back in again.
    When i did all that it did improve for about an hour...then went down again..

yes you are right, this isnt a wireless issue.. have just contacted a mod to move the thread.. thanks for your advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Unplug all other devices and phones and remove the filter on the modem, plug it straight into the main socket without a filter and see if it goes down again. If it doesn't you've got an internal cabling or filter problem. Get vodafone to send you some new ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭kaahooters

im 99.9999% sure you wont have any kind of fault on your line, the hampsters that vodafone use to run there servers have all died recently and have been replaced with there slow brothers from back home.

now srs answer, vodafone have major issues with there servers which there denying at all costs, i get something the same once a month now since january, line goes dead, loses dls light, loses conection, reconects loses connection, ect ect ect ect ect usually lasts till i ring and yell at them or 2 - 3 hours.

only upside to this is, if you get on the right backbone, you cna be placed on the old pre bt servers which vodafone dont monitor for download allowances.

between january and feb i used just under 1tb of stuff for free :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 mossyhayes

This is happening to me also at the moment. Using a Zyxel modem originally from Perlico. Switched to Vodafone 8 weeks ago this is happening with a week now.

Advertisement