Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

health insurance in the UK

Options
  • 04-04-2011 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I've just moved to the UK permanently. I need to switch my VHI health care to VHI Global, which covers Irish residents living abroad, or take out insurance here. I've heard VHI Global is expensive, but I imagine it's still cheaper than going with BUPA here in the UK? Because there's age equalisation in Ireland but not in the UK. I'm 42.

Does anyone have similar experience?

Tks
    Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

mediaeval wrote: »
    I've just moved to the UK permanently. I need to switch my VHI health care to VHI Global, which covers Irish residents living abroad, or take out insurance here. I've heard VHI Global is expensive, but I imagine it's still cheaper than going with BUPA here in the UK? Because there's age equalisation in Ireland but not in the UK. I'm 42.

Does anyone have similar experience?

Tks
    Joe

I wouldn't be bothered with Foreign Health Insurance, it can turn into a f*cking nightmare because the regulator in the country your in has no control over the foreign company your with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 carago deo

My 22 year old daughter is currently a student living in London. She is of Irish birth and lived in Ireland until the age of 20. She rents during term time in London. At the moment she is covered for health insurance by VHI Global however I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a better or more economical policy to suit the needs of an young adult.Current renewal coming in at €570.00.
    Thanking you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

> or more economical policy to suit the needs of an young adult.

Ditch the health insurance and reply on the NHS? May sound drastic but for a healthy 22-year old it might make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mediaeval

I went with April who gave me a medium level of cover at approx £50 per month versus VHI Global who were about 2½ times that, from memory, but the cover was better. I'm in my 40s and thought £50 was very reasonable - no idea what it would be like for a 22 year old female. The reason I went with VHI Global when I left Ireland was because I thought it had age equalisation, like the VHI for Irish residents - it doesn't. It's a risk based policy and the premium increases every few years.

As regards the NHS, I've been told that it's better is to go with the NHS if you have cancer/heart attack, but for stuff like broken bones you're better off having health insurance. In my own personal experience, a friend broke a bone in his arm, which required an operation. He was on the NHS. The operation kept getting postponed on him in favour of more serious cases. If he'd had health insurance he would have been operated on immediately, I assume. I have no personal experience of cancer/heart attack so I don't know if that bit is true, and I don't know why it might be preferable on the NHS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

If you are going to be living in the UK permanently, why are you going to be needing / getting health insurance, since we have the NHS?

When I moved to the UK I couldn't believe I didn't have to pay for any healthcare. Been here about 8 years and been well taken care of on the NHS.

Edit, sorry was meaning this to the OP, but hadn't noticed it's a 4 year old question

• Advertisement
Advertisement